Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 03:06 PM

201 posts, read 611,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregg View Post
I'm also currently looking in the BSL area. By looking at google maps, the area west of 87 (George II Hwy) looks mainly undeveloped. Being the market is soft now, did a lot of construction come to a halt?

Also, how long does it take to get to the beach in the summer? Does traffic on 87 & 133 get too heavy? Those roads look like they may not be able to handle heavy summer traffic.
Dregg, research the North Carolina International Port and where the state is planning to put it, heavy summer traffic pales in comparison if the port goes in. Welcome to NO PORT SOUTHPORT - noportsouthport.org is a good place to start. It is a grassroots organization formed to inform the locals and hopefully stop this monstrosity.

Google maps will show undeveloped areas because those areas do not perk for septic. There is action going forward though on bringing in sewer service to BSL. The large area you refer to is most likely a nature preserve protected by an organization called The Nature Conservancy...The Nature Conservancy - Protecting Nature, Preserving Life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 AM

214 posts, read 822,663 times
Default Politics and Real Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieM View Post
Dregg, research the North Carolina International Port and where the state is planning to put it, heavy summer traffic pales in comparison if the port goes in. Welcome to NO PORT SOUTHPORT - noportsouthport.org is a good place to start. It is a grassroots organization formed to inform the locals and hopefully stop this monstrosity.

Google maps will show undeveloped areas because those areas do not perk for septic. There is action going forward though on bringing in sewer service to BSL. The large area you refer to is most likely a nature preserve protected by an organization called The Nature Conservancy...The Nature Conservancy - Protecting Nature, Preserving Life.
As someone who lives in the Southport area, and is also very sensitive to our fragile environment, I would like to point out to all readers, that if and when the Port does actually arrive, (anticipated 2017, or later) land has already been identified for road usage from the Port to Rt. 17, by Bonner Stiller. Rail systems will also be updated as well.
I myself have not become politically involved in the issue, as I see both sides of the argument.
We have those who have relocated here who do not need jobs, and are retired, then we have those who have children, who will need jobs and possibly pay for a higher education.
The jobs created will also produce more positive benefits, then negative, as it will attract more businesses, more homebuyers, and hopefully a better quality of life for those seeking to advance economically.
Personally I would rather see funding for Wind Farms that would generate more affordable energy, however, I have heard nothing relating to that for this area.
This is a very controversial issue for all residents of the area, and I am personally not for or against the Port coming, if infrastructure is put in place to support the traffic, and the environment is not affected more than it has been.
On the positive side it will create jobs, thereby affording people who need to work, the opportunity to do so, without having to relocate out of the area.
Those of you who are against the Port, I can understand your issues, however, do you see any positive aspects at all?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
As someone who lives in the Southport area, and is also very sensitive to our fragile environment, I would like to point out to all readers, that if and when the Port does actually arrive, (anticipated 2017, or later) land has already been identified for road usage from the Port to Rt. 17, by Bonner Stiller. Rail systems will also be updated as well.
I myself have not become politically involved in the issue, as I see both sides of the argument.
We have those who have relocated here who do not need jobs, and are retired, then we have those who have children, who will need jobs and possibly pay for a higher education.
The jobs created will also produce more positive benefits, then negative, as it will attract more businesses, more homebuyers, and hopefully a better quality of life for those seeking to advance economically.
Personally I would rather see funding for Wind Farms that would generate more affordable energy, however, I have heard nothing relating to that for this area.
This is a very controversial issue for all residents of the area, and I am personally not for or against the Port coming, if infrastructure is put in place to support the traffic, and the environment is not affected more than it has been.
On the positive side it will create jobs, thereby affording people who need to work, the opportunity to do so, without having to relocate out of the area.
Those of you who are against the Port, I can understand your issues, however, do you see any positive aspects at all?

Seashellbelle,

Not difficult to recognize your attempts at neutrality, pretty near impossible on an issue such as the Port. I'm curious though as to the consensus of the rest of the Realtor business in the Southport area. Does it not threaten their market when this downturn ends? If it's a viewed as a positive help me understand why. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 AM

214 posts, read 822,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieM View Post
Seashellbelle,

Not difficult to recognize your attempts at neutrality, pretty near impossible on an issue such as the Port. I'm curious though as to the consensus of the rest of the Realtor business in the Southport area. Does it not threaten their market when this downturn ends? If it's a viewed as a positive help me understand why. Thanks.
Quite honestly, with the way our economy is now, I believe the Port will be put on hold for many, many years, due to the overwhelming need of other far more important priorities facing the county and the State. This was initially proposed during the boom, and has since lost a lot of steam and support.
If the county or State is seeking government grants to get this off the ground, I don't think the current administration will look favorably upon it.
I am more inclined to lean toward a "green" energy source, that would hopefully have the same effect for providing jobs and reducing energy costs.
I don't think the Port will help the real estate industry here at all, as many people are still seeking unblighted coastal areas, if anything, it may be a detriment.
Let us all hope that whatever takes place in the future will be a benefit and not a hindrance, and concentrate on the more immediate present.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:43 PM

SeashelleBelle, Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
I think on hold for many years is not a good thing. It needs to go away. If it hums away in the background it will be an impediment for the brand of growth Southport is better suited to. I agree the financial incentives for those others far from Southport pushing this project is on the wane. If Savannah is hurting why build another? http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/bu...avannah&st=nyt
Green is great and the Brunswick Co. coast is rated fair to good for windpower http://www.windpoweringamerica.gov/i...nc_50m_800.jpg Sign me up. Many may not realize it but NC is one of the more progressive states in the nation when it comes to alternative energys.

I realize it's pie in the sky and not to be considered in this economic environment (or is it?)but wouldn't a 600 acre state park fronting on the Cape Fear be an awesome creation not only for Brunswick Co. residents but also for all the States citizens? Thought I'd just throw that out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina