Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:10 PM

30 posts, read 79,484 times

Advertisements

hello all...
i am researching areas to live in between raleigh and greenville, as i am interviewing at ecu this month. i am a single female relocating from nj and my main concerns are safety, however, i like a mix of city and country
i have heard about the increase crime rate in greenville. i hear winterville is nice. any opinions on zebulon??
thanks...any feedback would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 10:00 AM

451 posts, read 1,913,383 times
Most areas south and east of Greenville (including Winterville) are pretty safe. If you are going to work at ECU, then living between Greenville and Raleigh in a city of any size would probably lead to a long commute.

Zebulon would be an hour commute for you if you had to travel to ECU campus for work.

I live in Winterville and it's a pretty nice community. There is a lot of new housing in the area with reasonable prices.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:05 AM

Also - there is a fair amount of crime here, but the city is growing pretty quickly and is no longer a small town.

Beware of posts from people on this site who only have posted a couple of times and trash an area (and i'm not just talking about the Greenville area).

I always think visiting an area and getting a good "feel" for the community with an objective point of view is a good bet.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:43 PM

thanks for your quick response i appreciate it...i also agree with you with regard to visiting an area to get a feel one way or another. would you have any other suggestions other than winterville? i am also thinking about washington (which i believe is east of greenville)....

Old 11-06-2008, 05:21 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
My initial response was stay in Greenville, but then I thought of "little Washington" or "the orginal Washington" as the locals will tell you. Quickly.

I am a big fan of old coastal cities. I live in New Bern, 45 minutes from Washington. My first choice of coastal towns was Washington.

For the most part, the "commute" from Washington to Greenville, is a bat of the eye. Fast.

Washington is not booming, yet, but if you make a decent salary you should be able to do quite well there.

There is a downtown, and a GREAT waterfront. They have EPIC waterfront parties, I think once a month in the summer. We had picked a house out, before I found I did not get the job I was after and I was going to be able to walk to : work, church, restaurants, the waterfront, etc. My kind of a town.

I do not know about crime. Crime can happen anywhere and anytime, but most of it is confined to certain areas and certain times of day/night.

I suggest giving a visit, talking with police, adn talking to people in the neighborhoods.

Good Luck.

lln

Old 11-07-2008, 07:13 AM

I really like Washington - it would be about a half hour commute to ECU, but it's a really easy one. Washington probably has less nightlife, but it does have a nice waterfront area. The builder who built my house is doing a neighborhood there with prices in the low to mid 100,000's. I think it's called Northgate. Housing is fairly reasonable unless you are on the water.

Washington has some cool restaurants downtown and has historic districts. If you like boating, it's a good spot for that, too.

You could also look at some of the rural area outside of Greenville between Greenville and Washington around the town of Simpson. Lots of subdivisions going up around there as well.

Greenville has more shopping than Washington and is getting better in that department. Grocery stores - Greenville wins hands-down especially with the new Fresh Market.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:29 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,096 times
boots,

There is nothing wrong with Greenville. If you are going to work there, you need to live there. East and southeast Greenville is pretty safe. Plus there is way more to do in Greenville. Washington is nice....but would be mighty boring for a single female...or any single for that matter..lol

Try areas like Winterville and Simpson. That way you are close to work, food, and shopping....plus you will be in the country.

Thats my opinion.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:11 PM

thanks again for the feedback!! i will definately check out those areas and let you know!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:39 PM

11 posts, read 35,401 times
I have lived in Winterville most of my life and find it a nice place to raise my children. I have had two daughters attend ECU and I also graduated from ECU. Winterville is a small town where you get to know your neighbors and are only 10 - 15 minutes from ECU. I would consider Wintervile or Ayden. Zebulon is too far of a commute and Washington is nice and quiet but if you are single there may not be a lot to do there. Just come and tour all our small towns, you will know which town is right for you.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:13 PM

39 posts, read 209,764 times
I'd recommend Winterville if you don't want to live in Greenville, but honestly there are parts of Greenville that are perfectly safe and pretty nice. I work at ECU and I live about 10 minutes from the school, toward the south end of town. It's a short commute, and it's really convenient to all the places we usually need to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina