Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2019, 07:16 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I heard this last week, but I couldn't confirm the rumor. Odd timing, considering they're getting a new apartment complex right across the street. Perhaps the rent went up? I know the two larger stores cut their operating hours and are no longer 24 hours.
The Evans St store cut hours a long time ago but the Firetower store is still 24/7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 07:41 AM

455 posts, read 527,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Allegedly, ECU bought the shopping center. Dollar General is moving to Rite Aid, but no other information is known at this moment.
That would be an interesting purchase... I wonder what their intentions with it would be...

Old 05-02-2019, 08:16 AM

15 posts, read 11,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Allegedly, ECU bought the shopping center. Dollar General is moving to Rite Aid, but no other information is known at this moment.
I remember going there a lot when I lived at the apartments nearby. That HT was pretty... ghetto truth be told that whole shopping center was dirty.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:25 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
That would be an interesting purchase... I wonder what their intentions with it would be...
I'm sure parking is the intention. The new Bio building at the corner of Evans & 10th used to be parking. They need all available parking close to campus that they can get. Add in the fact that that lot is so close to the stadium.

I think the whole Charles / 14th Street / Evans /10th Street "superblock" area is about to change drastically over the next few years.

Those single family homes all over that area...their days are numbered, IMO.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:40 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,898 times
Man - I was hoping that shopping center would be bulldozed & something new & better would be built with that apartment complex coming in across the street. If ECU bought it, be prepared to see that shopping center sit there for a few years and be used as parking & then finally be torn down ... and still be used for parking. Sigh. It'll be 10 years before anything is ever done with that property...just like the apartment complex that used to be across from the baseball stadium.

Side Note: That Harris Teeter has always smelled funky in there, like fish or something.

A grocery store really should look into opening a location uptown somewhere under the new Proximity or something, all these students living in that area would utilize it.

Last edited by jpirate; 05-02-2019 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: q

Old 05-02-2019, 12:27 PM

15 posts, read 11,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I'm sure parking is the intention. The new Bio building at the corner of Evans & 10th used to be parking. They need all available parking close to campus that they can get. Add in the fact that that lot is so close to the stadium.

I think the whole Charles / 14th Street / Evans /10th Street "superblock" area is about to change drastically over the next few years.

Those single family homes all over that area...their days are numbered, IMO.
So they're just going to bulldoze all those homes across the road from the Providence apartments in the future you think?

Old 05-02-2019, 03:13 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Lets not forget that ECU has some plans for the parking lots downtown on Reade Circle.

The site at 14th may be a nice site for a parking deck considering its also not far from the football stadium. So this could help consolidate parking, which ECU has too many surface lots anyway.

Wonder what happens to Stadium Sports

Old 05-02-2019, 04:57 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCorg View Post
So they're just going to bulldoze all those homes across the road from the Providence apartments in the future you think?

I have no first hand knowledge of any developments, but I think there's certainly the space available and with those big student developments going on Charles, there is a market for commercial development there.

It would certainly help expand the scope of Downtown. But the plans need to be made before ECU continues to scoop up land near campus and limiting what can be done.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:19 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Wonder what happens to Stadium Sports
It’s on a different parcel with a different owner from the rest of the shopping center.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:34 PM

455 posts, read 527,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
It’s on a different parcel with a different owner from the rest of the shopping center.
Both the out-parcel with Stadium Sports and the shopping center adjacent are owned by Eric Jarman under the auspices of Sterling Rental Co. I can't imagine he would have just renovated that building and created Stadium Sports to turn around and sell it. I guess he could have sold the shopping center however with that new development across the street it doesn't make much sense. It's about to become much more valuable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina