Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 08:21 AM

111 posts, read 148,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I imagine that until one of these new complexes opens that has some market rate apartments and shows that they can be rented out rather quickly, it's going to be hard to get apartments built that are 100% market rate. I think it will happen, it'll just take a little time. The Taft spot on 1st street, with the talk of it being a retirement apartment complex, that becomes more interesting going forward. That would be a different population age in the area.

I expect if they can get the Hilton built and it stays fairly booked a few more hotels will come as well.

I still haven't heard anything about businesses for the spots below the boundary. They are about done with that place...would like to see some legit places open up shop there.
Well we know the Hilton downtown will be booked at least 6 Saturdays per year. Every parent type weekend whether it be orientation or graduation etc.

I think that hotel will STAY filled. No one wants to stay on Greenville Blvd. when they can be in the heart of the action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 11:00 AM

7 posts, read 8,494 times
Save the historic Greenville Bus Depot! - Petitions24.com
Above is a link to a protest petition to initiate a process to redesign this development to include preservation of the depot for retail/restaurant use as well as the inclusion of commercial space at the street level to be performed as a project for the ECU department of Urban and Regional Planning. This is a coordination of myself, other students, professors, and citizens. We are all for this development, just in a way that provides a mix of uses, preservation of the station, creating a more vibrant street life in the area.

Thanks! Please sign if you support our plans.
Z

Old 10-26-2015, 11:05 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPirate View Post
Well we know the Hilton downtown will be booked at least 6 Saturdays per year. Every parent type weekend whether it be orientation or graduation etc.

I think that hotel will STAY filled. No one wants to stay on Greenville Blvd. when they can be in the heart of the action.
So there is a planned Hilton in downtown?

Old 10-26-2015, 11:40 AM

Have there been any renderings of the bus stop development?

Old 10-26-2015, 11:56 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
So there is a planned Hilton in downtown?
yes, but not a full service Hilton from what I have heard. Probably a Hilton Garden. I think HGI sits between Hampton and Hilton in the marketing hierarchy.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:38 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Quote:
Have there been any renderings of the bus stop development?
Go to page 562 of this thread.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Go to page 562 of this thread.
No I meant of the new apartment complex going where the old bus stop and Pugh tire is.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:37 PM

144 posts, read 189,955 times
Quote:
No I meant of the new apartment complex going where the old bus stop and Pugh tire is.
There are no renderings at this time that have been made available to the public. Actually, I don't think they are that far along yet. However, if you'd like to see the designs for their other student housing projects, go to: RAEL - RAEL Development Corp

Of the four announced projects on the "gather" page, I believe the one in Memphis is the only one that has been completed. As you can see from the pictures here, it has no parking deck, no street level retail, and looks like a standard apartment building. The design for the one in Fayetteville, Arkansas is nicer and it does have a parking deck, but no street level retail. Those renderings can be found here.

The big question is: "what will Greenville get"? I don't like the idea of surface parking and I think the city should require street level retail, at least on the Greene Street side of the building, but also on Fifth Street would be preferable.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:51 PM

144 posts, read 189,955 times
Requiring street level retail downtown was an issue in Charlotte in the 1980's. The feeling was that without street level retail there would be limited pedestrian traffic on the sidewalks and the effect would be a sterile downtown. Seems to have worked out for Charlotte. Believe it or not, downtown Charlotte was dead in '80's -- especially after 5:00.

This is something Greenville could learn from.

Last edited by GoingLocal; 10-26-2015 at 09:03 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 07:12 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
I was excited about the complex when I read about it..but looking at their other developments I am going to hold judgement I guess. Some of them are pretty nice, then there is the one in Memphis which really does nothing for me. Granted, anything is better than what is there now & brings in more tax dollars. They really need some retail spots on the first floor. though.

Our downtown is fairly small, especially with all the government buildings down there. They need to maximize the amount of commercial spots possible if they want it to grow into what it can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina