Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 10:15 AM

192 posts, read 281,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
The uptown area has already out grown the 5 points area. I have stopped attending events down there due to the crowded and loud conditions for most events (food trucks / Football Game Fridays / etc...) outside the things like the open air market. They need to develop a better place to hold these events in the future if they want them to grow & increase the amount of people who attend. I understand it's in the heart of uptown & they want people to go there so they'll visit all the businesses in the area, but once Dickinson Ave gets going in the next few years, they should be looking at a better place to hold these type events.
I think they have a lot of parking available in the parking deck that improves this but many people don't use it because they have to pay for parking despite already paying to build the structure with their tax dollars. i know I avoid this area because of that. It seems as though I have fewer parking options now because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 11:46 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
I think they have a lot of parking available in the parking deck that improves this but many people don't use it because they have to pay for parking despite already paying to build the structure with their tax dollars. i know I avoid this area because of that. It seems as though I have fewer parking options now because of it.
Amazing. Free parking on 1st Street, Free 2 hour parking on the streets and lots, and .75/hr for metered parking in the deck. Most of these spots are only enforced M-F 8a-5p. I've parked in all sorts of places in Downtown without issue. We should be lucky that the city does not charge more like every other city over 80,000 people in pretty much every state. If this was any other city, there would be "event" pricing any time there's piratefest or freeboot friday or First Friday. The $20 folks paid in taxes towards the parking deck construction shouldn't entitle anyone to a lifetime of free parking there. Those lots have to be maintained, and people have to maintain them. That costs money. 75 cents an hour won't kill anyone in Greenville.

Last edited by michealbond; 08-17-2016 at 12:39 PM..

Old 08-17-2016, 03:34 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Fire American Tavern set to open on 5th St in September...

Uptown Greenville | Fire American Tavern is set to open mid-September

Old 08-18-2016, 06:51 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
From Uptown Greenville, a concept plan for a small performance theater right off Dickinson Ave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pAt...layer_embedded

https://www.facebook.com/UptownGreenville/?fref=nf

----

Speaking of Dickinson, the part of the road near the 10th street connector is closing for a while.

http://wnct.com/2016/08/17/section-o...-for-15-weeks/

Quote:
The road will be closed between Columbia Avenue and West Ninth Street to provide contractors the opportunity to set the beams for the 10th Street Connector bridge, bore the water, sewer, and storm drain under the railroad tracks, and rehabilitate Dickinson in that area. The closure will also let CSX to remove and replace their signals and track surface. Detours will be posted.

Dickinson will reopen on December 5.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:51 AM

26 posts, read 25,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Amazing. Free parking on 1st Street, Free 2 hour parking on the streets and lots, and .75/hr for metered parking in the deck. Most of these spots are only enforced M-F 8a-5p. I've parked in all sorts of places in Downtown without issue. We should be lucky that the city does not charge more like every other city over 80,000 people in pretty much every state. If this was any other city, there would be "event" pricing any time there's piratefest or freeboot friday or First Friday. The $20 folks paid in taxes towards the parking deck construction shouldn't entitle anyone to a lifetime of free parking there. Those lots have to be maintained, and people have to maintain them. That costs money. 75 cents an hour won't kill anyone in Greenville.
Yup. Or you could ride a bike and avoid the parking question altogether...

Old 08-18-2016, 08:24 AM

26 posts, read 25,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
There is no reason for a parking lot there. There is a parking deck a half block away now. And there seems to be plans to build a parking deck on the Dickinson side in the future.

That parking lot should have been converted into a PARK all along...Five Points Park. Classic overthinking.

This would encourage walking...and you would have a grass/tree link from 5th St to Dickinson. This would also link City Hall and the Library with a park...it could be a NATURAL centerpiece without a bunch of asphalt and cars.

Could have saved a lot of money and still held festivals, etc...
Totally agree. Just Tuesday night, my wife was with a group from her yoga class at Purple Blossom. They wanted to go for a drink and something to eat after class. DW suggested the DAP house, but other people thought it was too far to walk over there. So they ended up at Crossbones, where they had bad food and got harassed by drunks (after 9pm -- kitchens closed at Winslow's and Starlight). If it were across a (well-lighted) park, instead across three giant parking lots, I bet they wouldn't be intimidated by the walk.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:54 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Those parking lots are lit up like a runway at night. They have some huge LEDs that point in broad areas.

It's Greenville, the heat index is still 100 at 9pm, and nobody wants to walk that far.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:10 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
I'd also say that Greenville has been a driving community for so long now, it's going to take some time to get residents here use to walking a couple of blocks to get to a restaurant or concert venue. Currently, a lot of people have the attitude of 'if I can't park in front of the store, I'm not going'. Just look at say, the new WalMart on hwy 33. The parking lot is huge but people will circle around and around waiting for a 'close' spot when they could have parked a little further back & already been in the the darn store by the time they find a 'close' spot.

I'd also agree that this time of year, it's simply too hot to be walking very far. With that said - walking from the Purple Yoga Blossom to the DAP house is a fairly good stroll...I'm not by any means a lazy person and don't mind walking to get somewhere, but I honestly can say I probably wouldn't want to walk that far either if there were closer restaurants. Not because I wouldn't feel safe, more because it's a fairly good stroll to get there & then walk back after all that food. They could have just moved their car a little closer probably.

I feel safe downtown or eh, uptown now...it's miles from what it use to be. You never hear of any crimes uptown now days...they are always in the bordering neighborhoods and always dumb students walking alone at 3 in the morning on a random dark street.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:49 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I'd also say that Greenville has been a driving community for so long now, it's going to take some time to get residents here use to walking a couple of blocks to get to a restaurant or concert venue. Currently, a lot of people have the attitude of 'if I can't park in front of the store, I'm not going'. Just look at say, the new WalMart on hwy 33. The parking lot is huge but people will circle around and around waiting for a 'close' spot when they could have parked a little further back & already been in the the darn store by the time they find a 'close' spot.

I'd also agree that this time of year, it's simply too hot to be walking very far. With that said - walking from the Purple Yoga Blossom to the DAP house is a fairly good stroll...I'm not by any means a lazy person and don't mind walking to get somewhere, but I honestly can say I probably wouldn't want to walk that far either if there were closer restaurants. Not because I wouldn't feel safe, more because it's a fairly good stroll to get there & then walk back after all that food. They could have just moved their car a little closer probably.

I feel safe downtown or eh, uptown now...it's miles from what it use to be. You never hear of any crimes uptown now days...they are always in the bordering neighborhoods and always dumb students walking alone at 3 in the morning on a random dark street.
That's about 4-5 blocks...would be less if you walked through the park, errr...parking lot.

That's about the same as walking from Sup Dogs to the Town Common, except there is no hill.

Its a shame how lazy we have become. Downtowns are supposed to be walked so you can pass stuff and see different things. I was recently in Philly and walked around all day long after parking. In Wilmington you do it to look at the architecture and riverfront.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:30 PM

112 posts, read 136,339 times
I was driving down Reade Circle last night and noticed that there is a store in one of the retail locations at the Boundary and it is open for business. There was no sign so I am not sure what their name is or what kind of store it is. I did see cooking equipment on the back wall though and possibly a little bar. It's really great to see all of these vacant spots uptown filling up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina