Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 11:04 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times

Advertisements

Well, after reading that article, I kind of understand the desire and need to get this parking stuff right. It's currently a complicated issue that will take time to get fixed. How about free 2 hr. parking on the streets and you pay for anything in a parking lot/deck during weekdays 8am-5pm . Maybe have a lot or two in the area on the fringes of the business core and courthouse for free 2 hour parking.

This is a good example of the double edged sword that is ECU taking hold of 25-30% of your downtown space. Much of the space they take up could be used for other city developments & parking.

Five Points, should either be a full time green/park/festival space, or sold & redeveloped into a mixed use office/retail space with parking deck. No more part-time parking space! (Although I would also accept a green/park space with parking deck.) At this point, the TC is still "too far" from the core of Uptown to really host the Umbrella Market. On the other hand, The UM has developed enough of a following that people would probably go wherever it is held uptown. An event like Freeboot should be expanded. They would probably be better off blocking off a portion of 1st Street and a small part of Evans and allowing people to wander in and out of the TC. Maybe a band on 1st street and one at the TC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 11:28 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
Of note: The new ECU One Stop Building that will be on the block behind the Hilton will have a parking deck. Currently the intention now is for it to be used for employee parking and visitor parking during the day but they are looking at options that will probably open it up into public parking after 5pm and the weekends or something along those lines...they want to maximize the money they can get out of that deck.

So, I guess I'm saying that any deck the University ends up owning uptown will probably be used for other parking as well...if there is a $ to be had...the University will seize the chance.

Last edited by jpirate; 05-17-2017 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: holler

Old 05-17-2017, 01:59 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
With all of the downtown construction...I can see the need for a parking study. The parking deck was the first thing built...now everything else is being built...and with Dickinson renovations it is changing the parking needs of downtown.

I think removing the parking at Five Points should be part of an overall plan. Make it a small park.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:08 PM

192 posts, read 281,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
With all of the downtown construction...I can see the need for a parking study. The parking deck was the first thing built...now everything else is being built...and with Dickinson renovations it is changing the parking needs of downtown.

I think removing the parking at Five Points should be part of an overall plan. Make it a small park.
Why would we make 5 points a park? Town commons is a huge park with $700,000 worth of new equipment within walking distance. It seems unnecessary to make another park within walking distance of that, especially with the expectation of Town Commons added to or renovated in addition to the new playground.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:15 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,103 times
The idea presented in the meeting (I was there) about Five Points is to utilize the gates 24/7 and charge by the hour, without a limit. Take a ticket when you go in, pay when you leave. That makes the most sense. By no means should Five Points become anything but parking and thankfully I do not believe that doing so is even on the table.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:30 PM

192 posts, read 281,138 times
If they started charging for parking in 5 points or replace it with non-parking that downtown business will suffer big time. People don't want to pay twice (taxes AND parking meters) and they certainly don't want to have to spend extra time dealing with parking meters like with the new parking deck. People want the government to make things easier not have to learn more and pay twice. Also, why is it okay for taxes for the city to be spent primarily on the downtown area for these things when other businesses pay just as much or more in tax revenue? It's disappointing that more resources seem to be going to support the landlords downtown when there are tons of struggling local businesses and empty commercial building for lease throughout the city.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:48 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
Why would we make 5 points a park? Town commons is a huge park with $700,000 worth of new equipment within walking distance. It seems unnecessary to make another park within walking distance of that, especially with the expectation of Town Commons added to or renovated in addition to the new playground.
Because of its location. Putting a deck say on the corner lot of Reade Circle could replace it and serve the Dickinson corridor better. Just make it a simple green space with some park benches to sit in the middle of Greenville. Basically function as a pocket park and LOOK A WHOLE LOT BETTER.

Town Common should be the festival park along the river with many more amenities.

Cities have multiple parks all the time, they just have different functions. Putting a bunch of cars in the middle of your city was always a stupid idea...put them in a deck on the periphery.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:56 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,103 times
The system for paying in the garage was also addressed at the meeting. The consultants are not fans and agree it needs to be changed. Nobody knows their plate # off hand to be able to type it into a screen.

It was also discussed (and hinted that it is in the works) that Greene Street doesn't really need to be three lanes between the public safety building and post office and some on-street parking would be beneficial.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:05 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Because of its location. Putting a deck say on the corner lot of Reade Circle could replace it and serve the Dickinson corridor better. Just make it a simple green space with some park benches to sit in the middle of Greenville. Basically function as a pocket park and LOOK A WHOLE LOT BETTER.

Town Common should be the festival park along the river with many more amenities.

Cities have multiple parks all the time, they just have different functions. Putting a bunch of cars in the middle of your city was always a stupid idea...put them in a deck on the periphery.
Yes. I would agree. You can use it much like Raleigh uses City Plaza on Fayetteville Street. Or Moore and Nash Square in DTR.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:17 AM

89 posts, read 130,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
The system for paying in the garage was also addressed at the meeting. The consultants are not fans and agree it needs to be changed. Nobody knows their plate # off hand to be able to type it into a screen.

It was also discussed (and hinted that it is in the works) that Greene Street doesn't really need to be three lanes between the public safety building and post office and some on-street parking would be beneficial.
I honestly wouldn't mind paying $.50-1/hour if it were easier than walking to a kiosk and entering my information. I think the city should invest in a city employee parking garage maybe where the Greene St lot is or on the corner of Dickinson and Reade. The 4th st garage is in such a great location for the surrounding commercial businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina