Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 10:36 PM

155 posts, read 235,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPirate View Post
New Bern is a coastal colonial town with a rich history as the former state capitol. So many buildings date from pre-1800, whereas Greenville was more of a Victorian era town.

Not apples to apples.
Correct - I wasn't saying they were. My point was Greenville destroyed the cultured and history they had. I don't mean they have to be New Bern, but try to play up your history. Unfortunately, they destroyed most of their history. Now all we seem to be able to do is tie in to anything Pirates. Which I love but it gets old. You can't count probably more than 20 truly historical homes in Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 06:00 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
City Council to discuss dropping Wells Fargo, vote on Arlington developments - Daily Reflector

Old 04-12-2018, 06:42 PM

378 posts, read 418,895 times
If development sprawls around NC 903, an interchange will be needed there. They removed the proposed interchange that they had up there before, but it will be needed to be built again once development surrounds that area.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:32 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times
PirateFest drops anchor tonight - Daily Reflector

Quote:
An anchor of Greenville's culture is locked in place once again tonight with the return of one of the region's most treasured events: PirateFest.

The festival organized by Uptown Greenville kicks off at Five Points Plaza from 5-8 p.m and continues from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday. The Plain White T's will headline the event at Town Common at 5 p.m. Saturday. The forecast for both days is sunny with temperatures in the low 80s.

Bianca Shoneman, director of Uptown Greenville and leader of the signature festival, said the event offers everyone in the community a chance to have a great time.

“Of course, it's to eat street food, see live music and dance in the streets,” she said. “It's time to play.”

Today marks the 12th annual celebration, but this time, it has new members on board who have helped make this weekend a truly sea-worthy event. Shoneman said there has been an increase in partnership with East Carolina University Student Government Association and the Students Activities Board in an effort to bridge the gap between the community and the university — the “town” and the “gown.”

“Officially it's important to bring the university and city together because we both rely on each other for town-gown importance,” Shoneman.

Justin Janak, executive director of student activities and organizations at ECU, said when Shoneman approached him about participating in planning for the event, he thought it was a great way to get students invovled. The Student Government Association hopped on board — their mission is to connect students with the community and drive students to see what Greenville has to offer — as well as the Student Activities Board, which helped bring the Plain White T’s as the headliner.

“I had seen PirateFest but not really through the lens of the university being involved,” Janak said. “I thought it was a great opportunity for our SGA and SAB.”

Janak said the expanding partnership is mutually beneficial. It drives students into the uptown district to have a fun time and also shows students that there are great reasons to be a part of the Greenville community.

“It's a way to showcase what Greenville really has to offer,” Janak said. “It gets them connected to Greenville and shows them we're doing great things here, we're always adding things, so that they want to stay in Greenville.”

Shoneman said the festival brings thousands of people to the streets of Greenville and gives both visitors and locals a weekend full of live music, food, crafts, carnival rides and more.

“It helps pack hotel rooms. It fills the restaurants. It takes time to enjoy the rich history of the pirates of ECU,” She said.

Carnival Night starts tonight at 5 p.m. and wristbands can be purchased for $20 for access to to rides all night. Also, there will be a pop-up Brew and 'Cue trail, featuring barbecue from Sam Jones and beer from Duck Rabbit Brewery and Pitt Street Brewing Co.

There will be local vendors and live music performances on Fifth and Evans street and town common all weekend long.

“Grab your favorite people in the whole world and bring them downtown for two days,” Shoneman said.

Contact Mackenzie Tewksbury at mtewksbury@reflector.com or 252-329-9585.

EVENTS

The Plain White T’s headline a boatload of fun during this weekend’s PirateFest. See the Look section for a full schedule festival activities.

Also on Saturday the Lucille Gorham Intergenerational Community Center is holding its annual IGCC Day from 10-3. See the story on Page A6.
I will be visiting this weekend. Should be a good time!

Old 04-13-2018, 12:11 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
Correct - I wasn't saying they were. My point was Greenville destroyed the cultured and history they had. I don't mean they have to be New Bern, but try to play up your history. Unfortunately, they destroyed most of their history. Now all we seem to be able to do is tie in to anything Pirates. Which I love but it gets old. You can't count probably more than 20 truly historical homes in Greenville.
Greenville actually was born just as more of a farming community town and college town. Its history has a lot intact...from the original buildings at ECU, to the neighborhood across 5th street, to the warehouse district on Dickinson Ave. The Millennial campus also will primarily be renovated. Of course because of the University uses some older buildings (including frat and sorority houses), but they are mostly still there.

My understanding is that the Town Common was a slum, so not all history needs to be kept.

New Bern's history goes much deeper being a river port and former state capital.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:49 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Greenville actually was born just as more of a farming community town and college town. Its history has a lot intact...from the original buildings at ECU, to the neighborhood across 5th street, to the warehouse district on Dickinson Ave. The Millennial campus also will primarily be renovated. Of course because of the University uses some older buildings (including frat and sorority houses), but they are mostly still there.

My understanding is that the Town Common was a slum, so not all history needs to be kept.

New Bern's history goes much deeper being a river port and former state capital.
I think he was just basically alluding to the destruction of a great number of downtown buildings (most between 1965-1975) for no other reason than to build parking lots. Tearing down a slum is one thing, but the entire east end of downtown was razed, as was Five Points, and others. If we still had those structures, in today's culture of urban revitalization, our downtown would have a more classic personality to it, rather than the current standard modern look, which is a little boring.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:26 PM

217 posts, read 236,036 times
The Joyner Library is home to the records of the Greenville Area Preservation Association, and Martha and Dale (records caretakers) have some GREAT old records of pre-urban renewal Greenville. Sycamore Hill wasn't great, but it was by no means a slum as far as I've seen. Five points had a couple of beautiful old buildings, but I think the greater loss has come from the county's 'urban renewal' drive that wiped out downtown north of the courthouse.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:37 PM

155 posts, read 235,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I think he was just basically alluding to the destruction of a great number of downtown buildings (most between 1965-1975) for no other reason than to build parking lots. Tearing down a slum is one thing, but the entire east end of downtown was razed, as was Five Points, and others. If we still had those structures, in today's culture of urban revitalization, our downtown would have a more classic personality to it, rather than the current standard modern look, which is a little boring.
Exactly my point.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:20 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,200 times
Find this book in the local section of the bookstore. It doesn't show every block, but you'll see some of the old buildings that once adorned Cotanche St, 4th, Dickinson, plus more (not to mention all the old warehouses that would be of great use in today's urban landscape). Losing the Five Points building was a travesty.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina