Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2018, 03:06 PM

378 posts, read 419,400 times

Advertisements

The Southwest bypass needs houses and businesses near it. Who cares about farmland? We have lots of empty space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I think that corridor has an interesting opportunity. If the public plans it right, they can have exactly what they want...which sounds like protection of land for agricultural uses.

BUT, they cant have it both ways. You cant say we want fields and cows BUT no regulation. Regulation is exactly what they want. No strip centers, no malls, no housing development, no mobile home parks. No ability to profit off of their land in non-agricultural ways.

I bet the tune changes when its put that way.

FWIW, corridor zoning could be created to limit development to the existing roads and protect agriculture at the same time. The best interchanges for development should be the Hospital area (264) interchange and the Business 264 interchange. Create Nodes there for regional development. Protect the other interchanges for agricultural uses.
They still have some empty land on the existing northern bypass, so why not develop there?

Old 04-10-2018, 05:12 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,862,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
The Southwest bypass needs houses and businesses near it. Who cares about farmland? We have lots of empty space.
The bypass itself encourages sprawl, but the city(s) have to stop somewhere. The fact that Pitt County lacks adequate zoning is why its sprawling as it is. The only thing that controls sprawl is sewer connections...

But read between the lines...the folks DO want it both ways. See they want farms and cows but also wouldn't mind big houses on big lots...i.e, septic tanks. The no city property tax crowd that likes to live near the city but not pay city taxes loves those big lots and cheap land to build on...and then complain about all of the traffic in the city when they haven't contributed a dime to the city coffers. Too many of those folks and you have standstill traffic. Pitt Co has A LOT of those folks.

So, yeah set aside the land for agriculture ONLY...not some half baked no regulation agricultural zoning that is prominent by the Pitt Co planning staff. Pitt County is run by farmers, for farmers. Screw everyone else.

Otherwise zone it all like its in the city/town, extend the ETJ's and regulate them like they are in the city...since they want the property value that goes along with that.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:15 PM

247 posts, read 445,765 times
You can go online and submit a survey if you prefer retail development or farmland:

An online survey also is available for the community to provide input. The survey is at www.pittcountync.gov/SURVEY

Old 04-10-2018, 07:23 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,600,194 times
Office Depot is either closed or remodeling. The storefront is fenced off and there’s a construction dumpster there.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:36 PM

155 posts, read 235,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
I know there is always a challenge between development and maintaining original character. In this case - I say retain what you can, but maybe designate developmental areas. HP91 was right though - in 30 years it will all be developed. One of the things I miss most about Greenville is their ability to retain virtually anything about their past. Very little architecture remains. We just bulldozed and built. While New Bern, Tarboro and other towns around have retained character. Oh well.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:43 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Office Depot is either closed or remodeling. The storefront is fenced off and there’s a construction dumpster there.
The store is still listed on their website, so they’re probably remodeling.

https://www.officedepot.com/storeloc...ice-depot-279/

Old 04-11-2018, 08:33 AM

111 posts, read 148,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
I know there is always a challenge between development and maintaining original character. In this case - I say retain what you can, but maybe designate developmental areas. HP91 was right though - in 30 years it will all be developed. One of the things I miss most about Greenville is their ability to retain virtually anything about their past. Very little architecture remains. We just bulldozed and built. While New Bern, Tarboro and other towns around have retained character. Oh well.
New Bern is a coastal colonial town with a rich history as the former state capitol. So many buildings date from pre-1800, whereas Greenville was more of a Victorian era town.

Not apples to apples.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The store is still listed on their website, so they’re probably remodeling.

https://www.officedepot.com/storeloc...ice-depot-279/
It has nice windows I will try to kick some ass in the new store so it’s not deserted!

Old 04-11-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollabackmjjd View Post
You can go online and submit a survey if you prefer retail development or farmland:

An online survey also is available for the community to provide input. The survey is at www.pittcountync.gov/SURVEY
I took that and I told them to have development. Look at how clear the northern bypass is except for Sheetz and a future Walmart I saw them propose in 2014.

I also think there should be some elementary, middle, and high schools in that area. (Well you got South Central and Ayden-Grifton) I say maybe 1 of each if you get houses.

I'm sure it will look exactly like I-540 in Northern Raleigh. Because right now, they are still developing! Do you think that area might kinda look like Triangle Town Center area? Maybe that could ease come people that live in the inner regions of Greenville. (To be honest, new people may move in such as immigration from other countries or people may move from the north).

They are still building houses near Bell Arthur.

Last edited by Slay The Great; 04-11-2018 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina