Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 AM

150 posts, read 351,990 times

Advertisements

I might have a job opportunity as a faculty member at ECU. When I visited, it seemed really small. But, in this economy, faculty positions are hard to come by. If that winds up being the choice, where should we try to live (we are minorities and have a child)? Where do ECU faculty and physicians tend to live? Anything I should know? Are there any progressive pockets at all? Thanks

Last edited by boringmember; 04-01-2009 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Well like you said Greenville is small...my neighbor who works at ECU is about to get fired along with a lot of teachers at ECU, Pitt County Schools, and etc. Well a lot of people here think that everyone is rich or either poor but it doesn't work like that, I'm from Baltimore, MD so I've seen the true hood (considering that I used to live in the hood)!!! ECU professers usally live in downtown, or either the suburb of Winterville, while Physcians usally live on Winterville, close to Pitt Memorial Hospital (star hill farms is a very nice place to love and is probally the most known upscale neighborhood) or Fire Tower Road area (which is developing at the fastest rate in the county in my opinion especially in the Winterville section)!!! How old is your child (not really asking for my benifit) because most kids in atleast 4th grade hate our uniform policy in Pitt county schools! Downtown is developing at a pretty fast pace, and it can be very boring here all year long on the negative side, but when people say it's high crime here it's all in your opinion because as I said before I'm from Baltimore so this is a haven to me!!! LOL Speaking of haven West Haven is a nice neighborhood too the houses are in the 100's range but they can get upto about 600k but it all depends on what section your in because it's a old/new place... Greenville wants to become a min Raleigh but it needs to develope it's own characteristics... But over all it's a good place to raise a family, sorry if it seems as if it's mis worded a little bit but I'm on my iPhone typing!!! LOL just reply if you want some extra info...

Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 PM

Thanks a lot. I'd be faculty on the medical campus, so that's why I was asking. Our baby is just a baby now, but it's good to know about the policies! It sounds like there aren't many cultural activities and such - is that correct?

Old 04-03-2009, 07:08 AM

107 posts, read 480,599 times
ECU offers a variety of cultural activities, and reasonably priced, at that. There are a few art museums around. In the summer, there's music at the park every Sunday.
It is not metropolitan, but any means, but it is also not your typical rural-NC town.. it's a college town with some old industry. It has its small-town, Eastern NC offerings, and it has its college town offerings.
I find it a very pleasant place to live and very much look forward to moving back there, away from the endless sprawl that is the Triangle. (Greenville also has a bit of sprawl, but it comes nowhere close to the craziness here).
And there are plenty of nicer neighborhoods in Greenville itself where you could live. Also, I don't think you wouldn't feel out of place as minorities.

Last edited by LMEW; 04-03-2009 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 04-03-2009, 09:49 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,587 times
You may also want to use the search function at the top of this page. There's enough discussion on Greenville to fill a book!

Old 04-03-2009, 02:02 PM

107 posts, read 480,599 times
Oh, and yes, definitely progressive pockets, as you say.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:24 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Greenville want's to be like Raleigh with endless sprawl but I can't see that happening!!! lol (Greenville does have a sorry planning dept. but Raleigh didn't expect all the growth that it had gotten). The traffic is horrible in Both of the cities but in Capital BLVD is H.E.L.L to me...

Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 AM

Thanks everyone!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:29 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,701 times
Tell me, how would it be for a ECU student? My son is interested & wants to take a look at ECU. Is it a relatively safe area for a college student? We live in Mooresville now, but we're originally from NY (from a suburb 50 miles north of NYC, but he's a city kid). THANKS!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:10 AM

I was only there for a weekend, but if he's a city kid, I think he might be bored at ECU......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina