Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,007 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to New Bern this summer/fall from Minnesota. It's between Wilmington and new Bern. My husband has to find a job first he's in sales/management. So far what I've read is great. We are big beach people(I know what?? Your from Minnesota). What is the closest beach and is it kid friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 08:03 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachluver View Post
We are thinking of moving to New Bern this summer/fall from Minnesota. ..... We are big beach people(I know what?? Your from Minnesota). What is the closest beach and is it kid friendly?
The closest beach to New Bern is Atlantic Beach. It has a few high-rises, but it is generally a nice beach.

Wilmington is closer to a beach: Wrightsville Beach is the closest. Wilmington is a much larger city than New Bern and probably has more opportunities. However, it is a desirable destination, so there is a lot of competition for available jobs.

Your husband might also look at jobs in jacksonville and Morehead City.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:16 PM

55 posts, read 87,367 times
Hi I'm new to your conversation but I too am looking to move. My husband wanted to move to raleigh but I hated it. Holly spring I liked but the prices were high for a home. I was wondering I visited new bern over 3 years ago. Could anyone tell me about if they have ranch style homes and are they in hoa communities and how are the communities in general. Hubby works in a flea market so he's interested in that I'm more interested in taxes and cost of living

Old 04-24-2014, 12:07 AM

41 posts, read 45,417 times
ugh still 40 miles to the beach.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:49 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by country heart View Post
Could anyone tell me about if they have ranch style homes and are they in hoa communities and how are the communities in general. Hubby works in a flea market so he's interested in that I'm more interested in taxes and cost of living
There are plenty of ranch style homes, both inside an HOA, and outside an HOA.

I am not sure about how many flea markets there are in New Bern or ENC, or whether anyone could make a living at selling at them.

One tip is that it is much more expensive to live inside the city limits of New Bern. Primarily because the property taxes are higher than in unincorporated areas, but also because the city sells the electricity. I remember a post about a $600 electric bill for heating an old house in New Bern.

Please read many threads before committing to New Bern, as I think you might do better in Morehead City or a beach town. The beach towns will have more tourist traffic for a flea market.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:45 AM

40 posts, read 103,920 times
New Bern = Garbage. You're much better off in Wilmington.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:47 AM

No..lol Thank heavens I finally managed to get the heck out of dodge this past year.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:01 AM

From 08-02-2010....Snowshoekitty.... exactly what I've been trying to point out, thank you!

Old 06-29-2014, 11:09 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicunarder View Post
New Bern = Garbage. You're much better off in Wilmington.
Wow, Miami, for a new poster you are pretty negative. You make EscapeNC look like the New Bern Chamber of Commerce!

Big axe to grind, say I.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:38 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicunarder View Post
No..lol Thank heavens I finally managed to get the heck out of dodge this past year.
Congrats on being fortunate enough to move. I hate it here. I don't see us being able to move anytime soon. My husband is from here, owns an established business, and I fear it may be too late for him to start over elsewhere. I've lived here nearly 7 years and have been numb the entire time.

LLN--will you honestly answer this question? Where do you realistically see this place a decade from now? Do you think it will grow due to the millions of boomers retiring or do you see the growth being stagnant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina