Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:38 PM

96 posts, read 433,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
mkozlpn, please turn off your caps, its considered shouting. As said before most people do not have pools because the ocean is nearby and you can go in it 4 to 5 months a year plus they are expensive and labor intensive to keep the water just right.
Thanks, I did not know that caps meant shouting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=[/ I think it's worth it not to have to leave your house to swim and cool off. We will definitely have one installed in our new house.

Last edited by mkozlpn; 09-07-2009 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: mistake

Old 09-07-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danute View Post
And you, LI person, what are you being?....not judgemental? Typical for NY brashness.
I mad no judgments nor insults so how am I BRASH?? Was my question about pools offensive. I really don't understand your hostility.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:21 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozlpn View Post
But if you enjoy it, isn't it worth it?
In our case, we only got 4 seasons out of the pool. Pool season here is 5 months or so. We were in it just about every day in season, maybe 500 times over the 4 seasons. So the $25,000 or so for the pool cost us about $50 per day, in addition to the relatively minor monthly maintenance cost. Our plan was to be in the house 10 years, so the installation cost spread over 10 years would be a lot less of course. (can you tell I do accounting for a living? )

I still love having a pool, and would love to have one in our next house - but that will only happen if we find an existing home with on.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
I mad no judgments nor insults so how am I BRASH?? Was my question about pools offensive. I really don't understand your hostility.
Let's put this in a different light.

People often move down here from extremely wealthy, urban areas, like Long Island, and then complain about all the stuff we don't have. Maybe you don't realize that you're moving from one of the highest-income areas of the U.S., to an area that is relatively poor, and therefore will be different. However, even if you're right, and Wilmington is wrong, it is still a faux pas to talk down to people. You wouldn't walk in someone's house and ask them why their television wasn't bigger, would you?

In the case of your question, pools were probably never constructed because most people here couldn't afford them in 1960, 1970, 1980, when most of these houses were built. Wilmington was an isolated backwater for decades, and beach access was easy (so I'm told). Therefore it would be very difficult for the average person to justify the expense, in those days.

Add in the fact that you TALK IN ALL CAPS which looks like yelling, and you punctuate your sentences with four or five question marks, and it appears that you're really upset and angry about the fact that Wilmingtonians historically can't afford pools.

Last edited by le roi; 09-08-2009 at 09:10 AM..

Old 09-08-2009, 12:28 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
How interesting. While some complain of being in a flood zone others desire to dig holes and fill them with water!

Actually-In most inner/outer banks areas it only takes a foot or two of digging before "the pool" starts to fill in!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:20 AM

259 posts, read 732,334 times
good god. she was just asking a question.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:29 PM

214 posts, read 822,903 times
Quote:
Dahlin' you want a pool, build yourself a pool, it is not a big deal. We are not the experts to speak with regarding this matter. Have you considered talking to pool manufacturers, maybe they can fill you in?
I think private pools are awesome, but I don't need one, since I can just walk a few blocks to mine, and no one's there anyway, so I guess I consider it private.
If you have concerns, then most definitely speak with your builder. Many of us on this forum, have the Ocean or nicely maintained community pools, we kinda moved down here to be done with maintenance so we can spend our time doin' other things that are not labor intensive.
As far as real estate values go, I too have heard that pools reduce the value of a home, hey, but what do I know, to each his/her own.
Go build that Pool girlfriend.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:50 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
A pool is a classic example of a couple of things.
1) To a home buyer, value is in the eye of the beholder.
2) Money spent in a house doesn't necessarily equate to increased value of the house.

seashellbelle said it best, "Dahlin' you want a pool, build yourself a pool, it is not a big deal."
Your home is just that-Yours! Make it the most wonderful home for you as you can. But, if you know that you are about to have a "Near future selling experience"-I'd investigate your market and do what makes the most sense to maximize your efforts.
Just my opinions.
Bill

Old 09-12-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriekate View Post
good god. she was just asking a question.
Thank you for understanding.
I was screaming because i used all caps,angry because I used more than one question mark, and putting people down because i asked why so few pools, and i didn't mean in ground necessarily, I just thought with such a nice climate there might be more pools.
Why do so many people assume the worse?
Not knowing the area, I thought that maybe there were some kind of water restrictions. I have friends in the Florida keys who paid a small fortune just to fill their pool as water is very expensive down there. I thought maybe that was the reason.
THANKS FOR STATING THE OBVIOUS, I WAS ONLY ASKING A QUESTION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina