Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2009, 08:50 AM

67 posts, read 170,889 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be relocating to Greenville for his job... and we'd like to know more about the area. We have read all the other posts- and all the negatives- and may repeat some, sorry!

Where to live? We have two beagles who need a little room to run. We live in a pretty rural area currently and are thinking we want a little more contact with the world and it's conveniences.

Schools will be important in years to come, what's a good district?

I am an RN and have worked in cardiothoracic ICUs for the past 3 1/2 years and would like to continue- any suggestions of places to look for a job? I like teaching hospitals and sick patients...

And as always- other tidbits y'all would like to share are welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 03:35 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,256,799 times
Greenville's East Carolina was where I went to college, I had a lot of fun there. The university has a big medical school (when I was there, it had just begun), and they also have a big hospital complex on the west side of town that services the whole Northeastern NC area, which the med students go over there for various trainings. You should be able to get a job at their ICU without too much trouble, or they can steer you to other jobs nearby.

A good thing about Greenville is its proximity to the Outer Banks, you can get there via 264 in less than two hours, so makes for a nice long weekend. Be sure to check out the giant sand dunes called Jockey's Ridge in Nags Head. Greenville also has several smallish parks where you can take your dogs, I used to take mine. As for housing, the area has grown so much, that a lot of suburbs have sprung up, so you'll have to do a forum search for what is best. I lived in some of the older two-story houses across East Fifth Street from the old campus, easy to ride a bike or walk over to the school.

You will like all the trees and the smallish size of the town, and it stays "young" because of the students, and there's a river and park near downtown, plus the downtown has a little outdoor walking and shopping area. The outer areas of town are all rural, field after field and old country houses, but makes for a too-long drive to town. I hope you enjoy living there, and I hope others will tell you where it's good to live these days.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:04 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,130,361 times
Greenville is a great place to live. I wouldn't worry about the crime too much. There is a very small group of people that make an awful fuss over most petty crimes. The local newspaper and tv stations sensationalize every little crime that happens and it makes it seem like crime is horrible but it's really not for a huge segment of the population. Stay out of Northwest Greenville (you'll recognize the area as soon as you see it) and north of the river and you'll be fine. Oh yeah, in case you don't know, hanging around outside of bars at 2 AM probably isn't a good idea either. That's a no brainer but some people can't figure that out for themselves.

One of the better school districts is the Chicod area. Unfortunately the boundries are being redrawn for that district right now. Last year the BOE wanted to split the school up according to grade level. The school is in dire need of major rehab and the school is over capacity. In response to growth in the area the BOE wanted to move the 6 to 8 graders up to an under utilized middle school nearby. They were then going to tear the almost 100 year old portion of the original school off and replace it. Then only the K thru 5 graders would be left at Chicod. The reaosn they don't just expand the school is the septic system is failing and they have to hook into the public sewer system and the piping system just doesn't have have enough capacity.

So they had a plan and then some of the parents decided that they didn't want to split the 6 to 8s off. They made such a stink that the BOE abandoned that plan. Since the BOE must rectify the problem they've decided to split the district up and send some of the kids to Chicod and the rest to Ayden. Now there's really a stink going on because everybody is of the opionion that Ayden isn't nearly the school that Chicod is. Test scores back up that assumption too.

Which plan the BOE decides to use is up in the air as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to see them keep the district like it is and send the 6 to 8s up to the middle school.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:51 AM

67 posts, read 170,889 times
Thanks for the info so far. Should we move there, my husband will be working east of Greenville, so we would prefer to live south to east of the city. Sounds like that's within good areas so far, but how far outside the city limits does it turn rural? Online we've seen some decent to good looking homes heading out towards Grimesland. Any thoughts?

Old 11-28-2009, 09:10 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,130,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeagleWeagle View Post
Thanks for the info so far. Should we move there, my husband will be working east of Greenville, so we would prefer to live south to east of the city. Sounds like that's within good areas so far, but how far outside the city limits does it turn rural? Online we've seen some decent to good looking homes heading out towards Grimesland. Any thoughts?
You've got to watch the school district boundries towards Grimesland. I don't think GR Whitfield Elem has a bad rep. Wintergreen is kinda okay too. A lot of the parents there don't like the principal.

You can check out the curent school districts online at OPIS. It's a website run by Pitt County and you can find out a whole of info like where the school districts are, where major highways are planned, where the city limits are etc.. It's address is "Pitt COunty OPIS" (http://gis.pittcountync.gov/website/opis/ - broken link)

As far as the country goes...

There are still a couple of farms working within Greenville's city limits. I think they're just waiting on the right amount of money to come along and then they'll be gone. It's kinda hard to get a giant sized John Deere combine down the road when there's heavy traffic you know. Greenville's pretty much like anyplace else. You have the city, then the suburbs and then the country. You get from a rural setting like you'd prefer to decent shopping probably takes 10 minutes. I live about 5 miles east of Ayden in a very country setting and it takes me 14 minutes flat to get to the mall.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,256,799 times
The east side of Greenville, just as you leave town via 10th Street and continue east past the freeway, there are a few developments out there that are suburb type places, two-stories and ranches, pretty. There's also a collection of nice ranch homes inside the freeway just southeast of campus. If you'll go online, you can find real estate maps at various sites that will show you where all the housing is and pictures of the homes for sale, and you'll see the locales I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina