Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

I saw this in the above link and thought it should be noted

Quote:
Federal law protects alligators as a threatened species. Individual states are allowed to manage and control their alligator populations. Florida, Louisiana, Georgia, South Carolina, and Texas will issue permits to kill nuisance or dangerous alligators.
In North Carolina hunting or killing an alligator is illegal and only state wildlife officials can remove problem gators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 08:20 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
Anyone remember "Charlie" from the Bogue Banks Golf Course? He lived at hole 9 or 10 as memory serves. The worst he ever did was eat a golf ball. One year folks decided to relocate him elsewhere.
Sure enough-Charlie returned to his favorite golf course munching occaisonally on tasty titlest.
I don't remember exactly what happened-But someone decided to take things into their own hands and put an end to Charlie.
Bill

Old 01-23-2010, 01:17 PM

169 posts, read 583,038 times
Here in St. James I have seen alligators on all four of our golf courses. There was one that lived in the pond at the end of the 18th hole on the Reserve. We also had one living in a pond next to our beach club on Oak Island a couple of years ago. The Walmart in Southport had a persistent gator in the drainage pond facing 211, though I haven't seen him in a couple of years. If you want to see gators in the wild, there are a bunch at Orton Plantation. There also have a nice collection at Fort Fisher Aquarium including an albino. I've also seen them in the Green Swamp out on 211 at the Nature Conservancy nature trail.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:29 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Bald Head Island has more than you would think, including, or, at least used to include "Ol George" the 18 ft. Behemoth that lived on the pond on the 16th hole. He was finally evicted by wildlife officers who took him down to the USS N. Carolina wherein he lives happily munching on almost anything that swims too close. When he was still on bald head, (I was there fishing, not golfing) several of us saw him swimming towards our near shore with an entire full grown deer in his jaws.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:16 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
A lot of the golf course in SW Brunswick, Sunset beach, Calabash, Ocean Isle, have plent of gators.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:30 PM

4 posts, read 19,816 times
Yes!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:28 AM

96 posts, read 433,469 times
This past October we were up in Currituck and were eating at a restaurant along the ICW where beautiful yachts were docked when a couple came in telling a story about how they had just struck one just 1000 yards from the dock. Quickly others jumped in with their tales of alligators encounters in NC.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:47 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Here is one from a few days ago in Oyster Bay golf course area......
I see him every year laying in the sun....

No, I didn't get too close.........last year a small one was right at our feet.
There is no notice in the pull over spot either. So if I'd of had my dog there.....yikes.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 17,666 times
Default Alligator Bay

Hi everyone, where from NYC and am looking to move all of us up to Mimosa Bay, just outside Sneads Ferry, in the Onslow County. Would you know if there are any alligators in Alligator Bay. The house we plan on building bak yard faces the Alligator Bay. we plan on owning an out board boat and we love to go fishing, but see there is a lot of Bay, creeks, water ways, before the actual ocean. am a bit nervous you see I have 4 young children all under the age of 10.
Any help, would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 AM

84 posts, read 253,497 times
I would imagine if they named the bay Alligator Bay, then it probably has at least a few alligators. About a month ago we saw two alligators sunning themselves on the side of 64 in Alligator River National Park. There were easily 10 other people hanging out watching them too.

I saw a few all the way up the Tar River in Greenville after Hurricane Floyd. I don't know how common that is or whether it was just due to the hurricane. I didn't really spend much time hanging out by the river until we had to start worrying about the flooding.

But anyway, I think it's a decent bet that Alligator Bay has alligators since they have been seen all over eastern NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina