Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,155 times

Advertisements

Ohio State
Oregon
NU
OU
Auburn
USC-east
Bama
Boise State
MSU
TCU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 10:12 AM

674 posts, read 1,458,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Why would I put Boise ahead of Nevada? Both of their strengths of schedule are exactly the same, and Nevada has one more win than Boise.

Nevada is 6-0
Boise is 5-0

Nevada has beaten a terrible BYU team, and a good Cal team
Boise has beaten a terrible Virginia Tech team, and a good Oregon State team

Nevada's quarterback Kaepernick has passed for 1321 yards this season and rushed for an additional 639 yards
Boise's quarterback Moore has passed for 1336 yards this season and rushed for an additional -15 yards

I see no reason, other than "media hype" to put Boise ahead of Nevada this year. Why do you think they are better? And remember...
1. Nevada has more wins (as shown above)
2. Nevada has better stats (as shown above)
3. Nevada has a similar, if not better strength of schedule (as shown above)

And don't give me the "Oh but they beat good BCS teams in the past!" thing because I'm only ranking my teams based off this year's performance.
Va Tech is better than you give them credit for.

And Nevada has never beat Boise in the recent era... I think it's like a 12 game streak now or something.

So... you take Boise v. Nevada from last year, and you keep in mind that Boise returns their entire team sans Kyle Wilson and Richie Brockel, while Nevada loses key defensive players, keep in mind Boise is way better this year than last...

And you think Nevada is a better team?

I don't even know what to say about that. Other than... you're way off. Way off.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Looks like I struck a nerve because I pointed out that Boise is actually looking worse than Nevada (at this point in the season)... To each his own. Feel free to keep ranking teams based off fairy dust and piddly sticks. Your reality must be candyland or something because if you are basing your ranking off who you "think" is best, then you are basing it off your imagination.

Me? I'll stick with records and stats... you know, things that actually show how good a team is...
Remind me how Boise is positioned in total offense and total defense.

You're selectively picking stats to trump up certain teams because you're annoyed by the "hype" Boise State and TCU are getting... in other words, cooking the books.

Sagarin disagrees with your strength of schedule ranking re: Boise State and Nevada. He has Boise State at 28 and Nevada at 78. I suppose he's using fairy dust and piddly sticks too, right?

Regarding stats: Nevada trumps Boise in yards per game and just barely in yards per game. Boise trumps Nevada in points per game. At this point it's pretty much a wash because they're so close. Nevada has the edge in rushing and Boise has more passing yards.

Boise State is beating Nevada in every defensive category. Boise is #2 in the nation in total defense (yards per game), just 6 yards behind TCU.

I like Nevada, and I'm glad they're ranked. Their rushing attack has been insane for the last 4 seasons. I was at the Boise State-Nevada game in 2007 and it was the craziest game I've ever been to. I've been to every Boise State - Nevada game in the past 6 years. I watch Nevada every week. Nevada ALWAYS lays an egg. I just can't believe in them because they've never given anyone a reason to. Hopefully this year is different.

But to put them above Boise, TCU, and Utah?

Old 10-11-2010, 10:35 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
Remind me how Boise is positioned in total offense and total defense.

You're selectively picking stats to trump up certain teams because you're annoyed by the "hype" Boise State and TCU are getting... in other words, cooking the books.

Sagarin disagrees with your strength of schedule ranking re: Boise State and Nevada. He has Boise State at 28 and Nevada at 78. I suppose he's using fairy dust and piddly sticks too, right?

Regarding stats: Nevada trumps Boise in yards per game and just barely in yards per game. Boise trumps Nevada in points per game. At this point it's pretty much a wash because they're so close. Nevada has the edge in rushing and Boise has more passing yards.

Boise State is beating Nevada in every defensive category. Boise is #2 in the nation in total defense (yards per game), just 6 yards behind TCU.

I like Nevada, and I'm glad they're ranked. Their rushing attack has been insane for the last 4 seasons. I was at the Boise State-Nevada game in 2007 and it was the craziest game I've ever been to. I've been to every Boise State - Nevada game in the past 6 years. I watch Nevada every week. Nevada ALWAYS lays an egg. I just can't believe in them because they've never given anyone a reason to. Hopefully this year is different.

But to put them above Boise, TCU, and Utah?
A couple points I was trying to make with my rankings:

1. People aren't giving Nebraska enough credit

2. Boise is over-rated and actually is about as good as Nevada this year-- so how do people explain ranking Boise #3 and Nevada #19?

3. People are overlooking a lot of still undefeated Automatic-BCS qualifying teams (i.e. Missouri, Oklahoma State, Michigan State...etc). Those teams deserve some credit-- also those teams may end up winning their conference...

Old 10-11-2010, 10:42 AM

Lets look at past games of Nevada vs. Boise (ever since Boise State has been pretty good i.e. 2007 and on)

2007: Boise 69, Nevada 67 (Lost in Overtime)
2008: Boise 41, Nevada 34 (Lost by 7 points)
2009: Boise 44, Nevada 33 (Lost by 11 points)

I don't see Boise blowing out Nevada in any of those games. You see, people are reluctant to compare Boise to Nevada because that would imply that Boise isn't as good as everyone thinks they are...

It really is about strength of schedule-- of which Boise and TCU have weak schedules. As I heard one commentator on espn say recently "You can beat up on a bunch of soup cans all day but that doesn't mean you get to go to the national championship"

Old 10-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
A couple points I was trying to make with my rankings:

1. People aren't giving Nebraska enough credit

2. Boise is over-rated and actually is about as good as Nevada this year-- so how do people explain ranking Boise #3 and Nevada #19?

3. People are overlooking a lot of still undefeated Automatic-BCS qualifying teams (i.e. Missouri, Oklahoma State, Michigan State...etc). Those teams deserve some credit-- also those teams may end up winning their conference...
1. Perhaps... but they haven't really played anyone either. Washington? Idaho? South Dakota State? an overrated Kansas State? Western Kentucky? I mean, how can you really gauge them based on that crappy schedule.

You'll see that if Nebraska beats Texas they'll leap in the top 3.

2. Boise's overrated how? They have the toughest SOS in the top 5 so far. I think they've answered all of the questions about them this year and last. Every stipulation someone gives they answer.

Y'all just keep changing the rules for them and TCU.

And I don't see how, in any calculation, you can say they and Nevada are about equal. There is nothing that suggests that, in past history or current. Nevada's always had a leading rushing game (that translates into a leading offense).

3. Michigan State might be really good - I give you that. Oklahoma State? I'm not sure - we'll see though. Mizzou is overrated and they'll be exposed.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Lets look at past games of Nevada vs. Boise (ever since Boise State has been pretty good i.e. 2007 and on)

2007: Boise 69, Nevada 67 (Lost in Overtime)
2008: Boise 41, Nevada 34 (Lost by 7 points)
2009: Boise 44, Nevada 33 (Lost by 11 points)

I don't see Boise blowing out Nevada in any of those games. You see, people are reluctant to compare Boise to Nevada because that would imply that Boise isn't as good as everyone thinks they are...

It really is about strength of schedule-- of which Boise and TCU have weak schedules. As I heard one commentator on espn say recently "You can beat up on a bunch of soup cans all day but that doesn't mean you get to go to the national championship"
You haven't watched those games I take it.

2007 was close. Came down to the last dynamic play. The other games were NEVER in question, even if the scores were close. I was at all 3, by the way.

If you're going to keep repeated the SOS argument, then you need to just admit there is NO WAY a nonAQ team can play for the NC. Just be honest about it.

Everyone said "BSU is good, but they need to play a tough OOC schedule." We did. Va Tech was ranked 6/10, and will be ranked again next week, and Oregon State was also ranked, has played the hardest SOS in the country, and just beat #9 Arizona. They'll contend for the Pac 10.

At the beginning of the year everyone said "their SOS is good - this year they might be able to do it." Now that we have, it's back to the same ol' conference SOS. Which amounts to saying, so long as they're in the WAC they should never play in the NC game. I don't care how many games in a row they've won, or that they've had 3 straight undefeated regular seasons, or how bad they beat other teams.

Look, everyone knows that if you have undefeated AQ teams in front they should play - that isn't the dispute. The dispute is what has to happen for BSU or TCU to play in the NC game. Does every AQ team have to have 2 losses and BSU/TCU have to be undefeated and beat 4 top 10 OOC games?

It's ridiculous.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
You haven't watched those games I take it.

2007 was close. Came down to the last dynamic play. The other games were NEVER in question, even if the scores were close. I was at all 3, by the way.

If you're going to keep repeated the SOS argument, then you need to just admit there is NO WAY a nonAQ team can play for the NC. Just be honest about it.

Everyone said "BSU is good, but they need to play a tough OOC schedule." We did. Va Tech was ranked 6/10, and will be ranked again next week, and Oregon State was also ranked, has played the hardest SOS in the country, and just beat #9 Arizona. They'll contend for the Pac 10.

At the beginning of the year everyone said "their SOS is good - this year they might be able to do it." Now that we have, it's back to the same ol' conference SOS. Which amounts to saying, so long as they're in the WAC they should never play in the NC game. I don't care how many games in a row they've won, or that they've had 3 straight undefeated regular seasons, or how bad they beat other teams.

Look, everyone knows that if you have undefeated AQ teams in front they should play - that isn't the dispute. The dispute is what has to happen for BSU or TCU to play in the NC game. Does every AQ team have to have 2 losses and BSU/TCU have to be undefeated and beat 4 top 10 OOC games?

It's ridiculous.
We agree, I think they should be able to play for the NC if there are no undefeated AQ teams. However, my problem is with the ranking system, what I find absurd is that the AP poll has an undefeated Nebraska, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Missouri...etc. ranked behind Boise/TCU/Utah/Nevada. However, that is my gripe with the ranking system, in the end if those AQ teams stay undefeated, I realize they will probably jump TCU / Boise.

The SOS pertains more to their schedule as a whole (not just one or two games). AQ teams have to play other tough AQ teams week after week. While Boise/TCU gets to play 2 tough AQ teams their whole season (and usually those games are spread far apart in their schedule). Week after week non-AQ teams just play a bunch of "soup cans" or glorified FCS teams.

Playing tough AQ teams week after week begins to wear on a team after a while-- something Boise/TCU/Utah/Nevada don't have to experience.

Sure, it is unfair, but that is the system we have. If it were up to me we would have a playoff.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:43 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,349 times
I didn't know University of Southern California had a satellite campus on the east coast???

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Ohio State
Oregon
NU
OU
Auburn
USC-east
Bama
Boise State
MSU
TCU

Old 10-11-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I didn't know University of Southern California had a satellite campus on the east coast???
Yeah, it was weird to watch college gameday and see all those South Carolina Fans chanting "USC! USC! USC!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football