Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If Boise State Runs the Table, should they get a shot at the National Title over a 1-Loss AQ Team?
Yes, they couldn't do better than they did, with quality wins at VT and OS 17 54.84%
No, Are you kidding? Their competition was too weak. They played against Idaho, Nevada, Hawaii, Louisiana Tech, Toledo...etc. 14 45.16%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:20 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times

Advertisements

Only if they win out....

Old 08-18-2010, 02:28 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
West Virginia only beat three ranked teams that year; highest ranked team they beat was #20, and they lost to the highest ranked team they played in the regular season.

IF, and it is a monster huge IF, Boise State were to knock off Virginia Tech, that would be a much better win than anything WVU had that season.
VaTech has no problem with failing to live up to expectations. It's quite possible them and Oregon State finish the season outside of the top twenty. Don't get me wrong, I respect Boise State, but I don't believe they deserve it. They are heading in the right direction.

WVU didn't play for the NC game that year, so this whole point is moot.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:17 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
No, not yet.

The biggest wins in school history are Oregon, Oregon State, and Oklahoma. USC dismantled all these teams in one season a few years back and people compained about their schedule.
That was almost 6 years ago, all of the teams mentioned are completely different in 2011. Thats apples and oranges.

And FWIW, USC had to vacate all of the wins you speak of because they were cheating.

re the op. I think it depends on which 1 loss AQ it is and which team they have the loss to.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:31 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
Quote:
They are heading in the right direction.
Yeah I'd say going 49-4 over the last five years with a home record of 61-1 over the last ten years is "heading in the right direction"

Old 08-18-2010, 08:12 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
WVU didn't play for the NC game that year, so this whole point is moot.
The whole point is that they had a shot. You do realize they were ranked #2 when they lost to Pitt, right? Remember, they were the "shoo-in" if they knocked off Pitt that night. Mizzou lost that night. WVU probably would have not only made the BCS title game, but done so ranked number 1. You do remember all of that, right?

They would have done all of this, having beat no team ranked higher than 20, and having LOST TO THE HIGHEST RANKED TEAM THEY PLAYED in the regular season.

If WVU can do all of this (if they had not crapped their pants against Pitt; obviously they did and we all know that. that is not the point of the discussion, the loss to Pitt is itself a moot point. This hole thread is built on hypotheticals, you realize that right?), then Boise State can start #5, beat Virginia Tech and Oregon State, and qualify for the BCS title game if they run the table.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 08-18-2010 at 08:20 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 12:55 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The whole point is that they had a shot. You do realize they were ranked #2 when they lost to Pitt, right? Remember, they were the "shoo-in" if they knocked off Pitt that night. Mizzou lost that night. WVU probably would have not only made the BCS title game, but done so ranked number 1. You do remember all of that, right?

They would have done all of this, having beat no team ranked higher than 20, and having LOST TO THE HIGHEST RANKED TEAM THEY PLAYED in the regular season.

If WVU can do all of this (if they had not crapped their pants against Pitt; obviously they did and we all know that. that is not the point of the discussion, the loss to Pitt is itself a moot point. This hole thread is built on hypotheticals, you realize that right?), then Boise State can start #5, beat Virginia Tech and Oregon State, and qualify for the BCS title game if they run the table.
Also have to consider that in that year if the 1 and 2 didn't lose the final week (those two spots lost often that year), it would of been a Missouri vs. West Virginia national title game. That would of been significant since it would garuntee a 1st national title for a team and that hasn't happened since before the BCS era. (everyone who has won already had a title) It would of also been significant since Missouri was unranked to begin that season. (still wound up as among the highest ranked teams at the end of the year that started unranked)

The only way Boise State is denied a shot this year is if it winds up like last year with too many unbeated teams at the end. (3 from BCS conferences and the 2 top non-AQ conferences) If it is like 2007 and they run the table it would be scandolous to not get a shot. I do have to think one reason they will get their shot if there aren't any or only one undefeated team and they are as well would be that they have been highly ranked so long and their record well over several seasons that the writers might decide that they deserve a shot if there isn't a strong case that two teams haven't performed greatly better than them.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:11 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,865 times
something tells me that they get shafted and all hell breaks loose, now THAT would be fun to watch.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
As far as I'm concerned they've done everything possible to deserve a shot, they've won all the games they've needed to, they've got the players to be competitive or at least give anyone a game.

But everyone knows the BCS, expect the unexpected.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:55 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
something tells me that they get shafted and all hell breaks loose, now THAT would be fun to watch.
If they do get shafted in a way that is obvious there would be trouble. The fires of anti-trust accusations will turn white-hot if it looks like they are being denied when they got a good case to be in. (Last year could of done it but due to so many unbeaten teams it wasn't the case) I get a feeling that there will be some changes to the BCS system when its up for negotion in a couple of years.

The big question now for Boise State is what the Mountain West is going to look like.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:40 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
That was almost 6 years ago, all of the teams mentioned are completely different in 2011. Thats apples and oranges.

And FWIW, USC had to vacate all of the wins you speak of because they were cheating.

re the op. I think it depends on which 1 loss AQ it is and which team they have the loss to.
Well, those quality wins I mentioned for Boise State happened over a five or six year period. That's the point, USC bested BSU's entire history in one season. I can make a different analogy if you want, but it just comes down to BSU having a weak schedule (I will admit it's getting much better).

I guess I would give BSU a shot if they absolutely kill everyone this year, VaTech and OSU bounce back and have great seasons, and no BCS champ outside the Big East has less than 2 losses. It would also help if Fresno and Nevada can piece together a decent season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football