Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If Boise State Runs the Table, should they get a shot at the National Title over a 1-Loss AQ Team?
Yes, they couldn't do better than they did, with quality wins at VT and OS 17 54.84%
No, Are you kidding? Their competition was too weak. They played against Idaho, Nevada, Hawaii, Louisiana Tech, Toledo...etc. 14 45.16%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:36 AM

674 posts, read 1,459,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
One loss Pac 10, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Big East will all go before Boise. That's not crazy, just the truth. Again, BSU only deserves to go if they kill their schedule and there is only one AQ with one loss.

I like Boise State but they have some of the most unknowledgable, reactionary, bandwagon jumping fans of any program in the country.

A one loss Pac 10 school WILL NOT get in the NC game before an undefeated Boise State.

A one loss ACC team WILL NOT get into the NC game before an undefeated Boise State.

A one loss Big 10 team WILL NOT get into the NC game before an undefeated Boise State.

A one loss Big 12 team WILL NOT get into the NC game before an undefeated Boise State.

A one loss SEC team MIGHT get into an NC game before an undefeated Boise State.

Simply saying something is "truth" doesn't make it so, nor does proclaiming yourself some college football authority as if the rest of us (and most of the media and television experts who seem to agree on my point, by the way) were chumps make it so either. In fact, your view seems to be in the minority.

Boise State doesn't have any more myopic, bandwagon, or reactionary fans than any other team in the nation. Stop being ridiculous.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the budget's aren't equal but life is not fair. You can't "spot" teams a win just because they don't stack up financially or have less tradition. If you did, the SunBelt would be BCS regulars. Boise is growing and heading in the right direction, which is great. However, knocking off a few household names doesn't make you Alabama.

Quit talking about the last six seasons, we're talking about 2010. But if you must, remind me of BSU's bowl record over the past six years...
Uh, Boise State's preseason ranking is PRECISELY BECAUSE of their last 4 or 5 seasons, along with the talent they bring back.

Do you think that, everything else begin equal, if Boise had a mediocre last 4 years we'd even be sniffing the top 20 preseason?

EVERY big game for us is a test to see if we're legit. It doesn't matter that time and time again we pass the test.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Biased on the quality of their team? Nope. I'll be rooting for them against VaTech but otherwise I don't pay too much attention except that I currently live in Boise. My focus is on the Pac10. Besides, that comment was a direct response to another poster. Didn't you notice the quotes? It had nothing to do with you or your opinion. It's a pathetic attempt on your part to cherry pick my posts. Don't try and discredit me for not agreeing with you.
As if that wasn't obvious to begin with.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:52 AM

If you don't believe me, we really have but two options:

1. Wait and see what happens...

2. Consider the information from as many sources as possible. I haven't seen ONE reputable journal, article, or blog that suggests that an undefeated Boise State would be left out to a one loss BCS team. You can go ahead and link to anything that does suggest it, but I read the sites and blogs and message boards daily and haven't seen anything.

(In my opinion, the only way that can happen is if Boise barely skates by their opponents, Oregon State and Va Tech tank their season, and whichever one loss team (Florida, Iowa, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon - USC cannot play in a bowl, remember) absolutely obliterates everyone but their one loss)

Old 08-20-2010, 10:55 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
A one loss Pac 10 school WILL NOT get in the NC game before an undefeated Boise State.

A one loss ACC team WILL NOT get into the NC game before an undefeated Boise State.

A one loss Big 10 team WILL NOT get into the NC game before an undefeated Boise State.

A one loss Big 12 team WILL NOT get into the NC game before an undefeated Boise State.

Simply saying something is "truth" doesn't make it so, nor does proclaiming yourself some college football authority as if the rest of us (and most of the media and television experts who seem to agree on my point, by the way) were chumps make it so either. In fact, your view seems to be in the minority.

Boise State doesn't have any more myopic, bandwagon, or reactionary fans than any other team in the nation. Stop being ridiculous.
Good analysis, I have these exceptions:

Unless that one loss Big 12 Team is Texas or Oklahoma.

Unless that one loss Pac-10 Team is Oregon (USC ineligible)

Unless that one loss ACC Team is Miami

Unless that one loss BIG 10 Team is Ohio State

Just my opinion.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:22 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,187 times
Quote:

I'm not saying anything is "truth", I'm simply stating my opinion. You're the one stating what will happen and speaking in absolutes. Also, many experts will agree that a one-loss Ohio State, Miami, or Texas will easily surpass Boise in the rankings. Don't put too much faith in the experts, quite a few of them think VaTech is going to gut Boise and render this thread pointless.

It's all opinion, especially in August. That's college football and it's half the fun.

A lot of schools have terrible fans. Boise State has some good knowledgable fans, but we both know this town is full of fair weather fans who only care about BSU because they're good. I don't know how many times I've heard "don't you know we beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl?" as a response to anything that remotely questions the talent of Boise State.

Last edited by truckingbronco; 08-20-2010 at 11:56 AM..

Old 08-20-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
As if that wasn't obvious to begin with.

I've given BSU plenty of love in my posts. I just don't think they deserve it this year unless all the cards fall in their favor.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Uh, Boise State's preseason ranking is PRECISELY BECAUSE of their last 4 or 5 seasons, along with the talent they bring back.

Do you think that, everything else begin equal, if Boise had a mediocre last 4 years we'd even be sniffing the top 20 preseason?

EVERY big game for us is a test to see if we're legit. It doesn't matter that time and time again we pass the test.
That's a valid point.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:30 PM

YouTube - Should Boise State play for National Title? 2010

You can go on ESPN, on SI, on MSN/Fox Sports, on Rivals, on Scout and find the same analysis.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I've given BSU plenty of love in my posts. I just don't think they deserve it this year unless all the cards fall in their favor.
Why wouldn't they deserve it this year? They would have beat a top6 Va Tech team who more than likely will win the ACC, and an Oregon State team who will contend for the Pac 10 title.

We've beat Oregon twice, so I think if Oregon comes out ahead in the Pac 10 this year they'll give us the benefit of the doubt. I don't think Stanford gets the benefit of the doubt. And USC can't play for a bowl.

It's probably a foregone conclusion the SEC will be in the title game, and you'll more than likely have a one or two loss Florida team lurking.

It seems like the Big 10 will come down to Ohio State, Iowa, and maybe Wisconsin. I don't think a one loss Iowa or Wiscy bounces Boise State, but who knows about Ohio State. They seem to get a little leeway in the polls even with a loss.

The Big East this year? Nope.

So what about Texas and Oklahoma? Does a one loss Texas get the nod? This might be the best argument. I think it probably depends on who they lose to and when they lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football