Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If Boise State Runs the Table, should they get a shot at the National Title over a 1-Loss AQ Team?
Yes, they couldn't do better than they did, with quality wins at VT and OS 17 54.84%
No, Are you kidding? Their competition was too weak. They played against Idaho, Nevada, Hawaii, Louisiana Tech, Toledo...etc. 14 45.16%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:33 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
No, not yet.

The biggest wins in school history are Oregon, Oregon State, and Oklahoma. USC dismantled all these teams in one season a few years back and people compained about their schedule.

Maybe I would give them a shot if they were already in the Mountain West and played VT, Oregon State, Utah, BYU, and TCU. They would still need to dominate their schedule and hope there were no more than one undefeated BCS conf champion.

The BSU program is a nice story and it's heading in the right direction, however, they have to climb a few more rungs up the ladder before they're worthy; keep racking up the wins, build recruiting, and strenghten your schedule. Success can disappear in a hurry for a young program if you don't continue to build, just ask Marshall, Louisville, and Fresno.
You're crazy.

They're undefeated in the last two regular seasons... 26-1 over the past two years. Undefeated in 2 of the past 4 full seasons. They finished with a top 5 rank last year, and begin this year with a top 5 rank.

They win out, they deserve to go, unless you have undefeated Pac 10, SEC, Big 12, or Big 10 teams.

Period.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:37 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,578 times
Quote:
Well, those quality wins I mentioned for Boise State happened over a five or six year period. That's the point, USC bested BSU's entire history in one season. I can make a different analogy if you want, but it just comes down to BSU having a weak schedule (I will admit it's getting much better).
Compare athletic budgets and then we'll talk.

If you're going to have an unequal system (BCS AQ v. BCS nonAQ), then you have to allow for the fact that nonAQ teams will necessarily have weaker schedules. The only way to compensate for this is to consider the trajectory of their program over time (something the AQ schools do not have to do).

Boise's record in the past 6 years, despite their schedule, speaks for itself. The polls and rankings attest to this as we creep further and further up. One loss absolutely kills that momentum, something else that AQ teams can afford to do (lose).

Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
You're crazy.

They're undefeated in the last two regular seasons... 26-1 over the past two years. Undefeated in 2 of the past 4 full seasons. They finished with a top 5 rank last year, and begin this year with a top 5 rank.

They win out, they deserve to go, unless you have undefeated Pac 10, SEC, Big 12, or Big 10 teams.

Period.
One loss Pac 10, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Big East will all go before Boise. That's not crazy, just the truth. Again, BSU only deserves to go if they kill their schedule and there is only one AQ with one loss.

I like Boise State but they have some of the most unknowledgable, reactionary, bandwagon jumping fans of any program in the country.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
Compare athletic budgets and then we'll talk.

If you're going to have an unequal system (BCS AQ v. BCS nonAQ), then you have to allow for the fact that nonAQ teams will necessarily have weaker schedules. The only way to compensate for this is to consider the trajectory of their program over time (something the AQ schools do not have to do).

Boise's record in the past 6 years, despite their schedule, speaks for itself. The polls and rankings attest to this as we creep further and further up. One loss absolutely kills that momentum, something else that AQ teams can afford to do (lose).
Yeah, the budget's aren't equal but life is not fair. You can't "spot" teams a win just because they don't stack up financially or have less tradition. If you did, the SunBelt would be BCS regulars. Boise is growing and heading in the right direction, which is great. However, knocking off a few household names doesn't make you Alabama.

Quit talking about the last six seasons, we're talking about 2010. But if you must, remind me of BSU's bowl record over the past six years...

Old 08-19-2010, 09:55 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Quote:
The only reason WVU could have made it to the championship that year is because everyone else had two losses.
The Big XII and Big 10 both had one loss teams leading the conference going into the last weekend. Going into the last weekend, Mizzou and West Virginia were ranked ahead of a one loss Ohio State team.

Quote:
I like Boise State but they have some of the most unknowledgable, reactionary, bandwagon jumping fans of any program in the country.
I don't care one iota about Boise and their Broncos, seems you do. Nice to see your bias showing through loud and clear. No reason to continue this with you.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 08-19-2010 at 10:13 PM..

Old 08-20-2010, 04:04 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,519,096 times
Quote:
One loss Pac 10, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Big East will all go before Boise. That's not crazy, just the truth. Again, BSU only deserves to go if they kill their schedule and there is only one AQ with one loss.

It may not be the case this year due to starting out highly ranked. Though next year if they have an undefeated record it is very much more unlikely they would get jumped over by a one-loss team due to a tougher conference schedule. (regardless of what BYU does, though them staying would add schedule stregnth and the possbility of a championship game since they would liekly expand by one more)

Old 08-20-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The Big XII and Big 10 both had one loss teams leading the conference going into the last weekend. Going into the last weekend, Mizzou and West Virginia were ranked ahead of a one loss Ohio State team.

I stand corrected. Either way, it was a fluke year and this is acknowledged by everyone but you. It was the first and only time there has been a two loss NC Champion. This one season appears to be the basis for your entire argument. Also, I've also said WVU didn't deserve to play in the championship that year. After all, that's the whole point of this; do they deserve to play to play for it.

I already said I would be fine with Boise playing for the NC in the right situation, however, it's extremely unlikely it will happen so I'm assuming this will be a regular season rather than a once in a decade season like three years ago.

Here's my quote: "I guess I would give BSU a shot if they absolutely kill everyone this year, VaTech and OSU bounce back and have great seasons, and no BCS champ outside the Big East has less than 2 losses. It would also help if Fresno and Nevada can piece together a decent season."

You can't seem to comprehend, or choose to ignore, this even though I've repeated it four or five times. This is my opinion, which is the whole point of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I don't care one iota about Boise and their Broncos, seems you do. Nice to see your bias showing through loud and clear. No reason to continue this with you.
Biased on the quality of their team? Nope. I'll be rooting for them against VaTech but otherwise I don't pay too much attention except that I currently live in Boise. My focus is on the Pac10. Besides, that comment was a direct response to another poster. Didn't you notice the quotes? It had nothing to do with you or your opinion. It's a pathetic attempt on your part to cherry pick my posts. Don't try and discredit me for not agreeing with you.

Last edited by truckingbronco; 08-20-2010 at 09:15 AM..

Old 08-20-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
It may not be the case this year due to starting out highly ranked. Though next year if they have an undefeated record it is very much more unlikely they would get jumped over by a one-loss team due to a tougher conference schedule. (regardless of what BYU does, though them staying would add schedule stregnth and the possbility of a championship game since they would liekly expand by one more)
I 100% agree. As I said in a way earlier post, if they were in this year's Mtn West and had their OOC schedule then they would probably be deserving if they ran the table as long as there wasn't two other undefeateds.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:09 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,519,096 times
Quote:
I 100% agree. As I said in a way earlier post, if they were in this year's Mtn West and had their OOC schedule then they would probably be deserving if they ran the table as long as there wasn't two other undefeateds.
I think it would even apply to next year if they run the table. Even without Utah if they can keep BYU and now with Nevada and Fresno State who would be good for shoring up the middle. It is at the point the MWC is by many of the writers treating it as a defacto BCS conference in quality to the point where it can be argued is stronger than at least one BCS conference at any point.

The only shortfall that may exist for the MWC in getting an auto bid isn't the quality of the top teams (which is better than at least one BCS conference all the time at this point), it is how bad the bottom is.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I think it would even apply to next year if they run the table. Even without Utah if they can keep BYU and now with Nevada and Fresno State who would be good for shoring up the middle. It is at the point the MWC is by many of the writers treating it as a defacto BCS conference in quality to the point where it can be argued is stronger than at least one BCS conference at any point.

The only shortfall that may exist for the MWC in getting an auto bid isn't the quality of the top teams (which is better than at least one BCS conference all the time at this point), it is how bad the bottom is.
Yeah, I could see that. It's been an interesting week for the MWC.

The new rumors in Boise are that BYU is now looking at staying (don't have anywhere else to go now with WAC imploding) and Houston will receive the invite as the 12th team. That would make for an interesting conference with pretty decent balance. It's no SEC, but should easily compete or beat the Big East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football