Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:00 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times

Advertisements

You won't get any argument from me, that ASU is at the bottom of the PAC this year. With that said, I'd play FCS U, here, in a heart beat. September game, in the House of Heat...we'd win by 2 TDs.

I believe we DID offer to play you when Koetter was here, and you acted like stuck up brats...demanding a home and home. News flash...no school wants to go to that Po Dunk Stadium. Nut Up...like FSU did in the 80s and PSU did. Maybe you could join a conference then...but I doubt you want to. ***** about the BCS all you want...but you are benefitting from it. You will spend all year ducking talent...and might accidently slide into the Title game...where Bama or Oregon would KILL YOU.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Yes Boise dominated. It was only close because of their mistakes.

I havent indicted TCU, I think theyre very good, check my rankings holmes. TCU and Boise are completely legitimate.

You know as well as everyone here that Oregon State is pretty good and will not finish 7th in the Pac10....
LOL. You seriously think Oregon State are better than:

Oregon
Arizona
Stanford

for sure not those 3

They'd have to play out of there minds to beat:
Washington
Cal
UCLA
USC

7th is about right.

WOW. They beat a TERRIBLE Louisville team...and an ASU team that didn't even try to win that game in the 4th QTR.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Remind me how teams are ranked to begin the season.

Which, unless I'm stupid, somehow affect where they're ranked throughout the season.
It's called a Preseason Poll. I believed the hype, and put them 4. After Week1, I had them at 3. VTech lost to James Madison, and nearly lost to ECU. Oregon State is no good...and they struggled at home. The WAC is a worse conference than C-USA and the MAC. I really don't know what you guys expect.

I know you guys have only had football since like 95...but catch up here. Also this is an ESPN Bandwagon team, and everyone knows it. FCS U jersey and a Lakers hat.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:33 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
LOL. You seriously think Oregon State are better than:
OSU is probably 4th or 5th this year. Boise is as good as anyone in the Pac10. Oregon included.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Remind me how teams are ranked to begin the season.

Which, unless I'm stupid, somehow affect where they're ranked throughout the season.

To say that last year doesn't matter or shouldn't factor into the rankings is just plain silly and most sportswriters have already pointed that out.

Even beside last year Boise's been far more impressive this year than TCU. TCU might actually be a better team but we don't know because they haven't played nearly a complete game yet. Last week in the first half was a debacle.

On the other hand, Boise State has absolutely dominated Wyoming and NMSU... and if Coach Pete weren't so opposed to running up the score both of those games could have been 80-0. Easy.
First off, I think preseason rankings have more to do with the players teams have over from last season. NOT to say that previous seasons don't have any effects, but not that much.

And second, don't start gettin' into the "what ifs" like those BCS schools do, by saying that Boise's been far more impressive, considering the teams played.

Yeah, Boise State beat TCU in a game, which was their only loss (and if ya look at the Fiesta Bowl, it really wasn't a spectacular showing by either team), but this is Week 6. Last year is gettin' further and further away. There's still more football to be played, so don't get too much ahead of yourselves.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Rankings are largely based on returning starters and last years performanc. There is no quarrel between TCU and Boise, thats largely why theyre both highly thought of. If not for last year, neither would be in the top 10 right now.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
---Virginia Tech will prove to be a good team-----

based on their record?

I'll bet James Madison fans say the same as Boise State fans......." we beat a great team "
Va Tech handled NCSU, previously 5-0. I think you'll find that Va Tech will end up winning the ACC, even in spite of their many injuries.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post

This is dumb. If you think Stanford is overrated because they only beat Notre Dame, what does that say about BSU? Everyone knows BSU has a weak schedule. BSU fans continue to defend that saying, "Well, no one will play us" and "It's not our fault our conference is weak." Now you sit here and say the same thing about Stanford. Hypocrisy at its finest.
I think Oregon exposed them, and they'll continue to get exposed throughout the season. I think they'll end up 9-3 or 8-4. Not a bad season, just not top 10 good.

Stanford is a really good team... just not elite. Don't take it personally.

Quote:
Now, let's look at Oregon's schedule. The games against PSU and UNM were cupcakes. Tennessee is not a bad team, just not very deep. Plus, that game was in SEC country, where they would sell their own kid, and probably have, for a win. IMO, they are about the equivalent to VaTech (except they have not lost to a D-II school). So, it was a great test for a young Oregon QB in a frenzied hostile environment (much like VT). ASU is a better team than the 3 losses indicate. They should have beaten Wiscy and had chances against both us and OSU. If you really think they are terrible, then you truly know nothing. And for Stanford, they have a NFL first round draft pick as their QB. They are certainly no slouch like you want to paint them.
Tennessee is horrid... they almost lost to UAB and really have no identity right now. Fun fact: Derek Dooley coached at WAC school La Tech, and Tennessee's DC was Boise State's DC last year.

No one in their right mind would equate Tenn with Va Tech. At all.

Darren Thomas is indeed a really great QB. When Oregon played Boise State in 2008 BSU was winning pretty handily until Bellotti burned Thomas' redshirt in the 4th and the kid damn near brought Oregon back to win that game. 5 more minutes and he probably would have.

I really think Oregon is an elite team... I just cannot buy them jumping Boise State by ANY metric... not strength of schedule (as of yet... again, see Sagarin's rankings), not quality of wins, nor potential. Boise State has twice shown they can stop Oregon's offense, and I firmly believe they would do so again this year.

As for Luck... great QB but your argument sucks. Locker is supposedly a #1 pick as well. Doesn't make Washington a great team.

Quote:
Bad mouth schedules all you want, but BSU's will continue to get worse and everyone knows it. You can beat teams 123-0 and that will still not make beating the New Mexico States look anymore impressive.
Indeed. You're right here.

But here's the rub that EVERYONE FORGETS. Boise State doesn't get NC talk for playing their 2010 schedule. Boise State is getting NC talk because of their 2006-2010 schedule. If we weren't undefeated the past 2 regular seasons we wouldn't be here. So yeah... our conference schedule is easy, but we're also something like 58-2 in conference play... so we're dominating at what we can't control. It's not like we can up and move to the Pac 10, now is it?

Quote:
I love the near entitlement many BSU fans suddenly have. Even your own post has this ridiculous arrogance about it. Now, you are not impressed with manhandling a Miami team that has a lot of talent. Now, a team like Miami is nothing more than a Wyoming. I don't know about most people, but Ohio State looked pretty darn good against Miami. I have always been pretty vocal against Ohio State, but they impressed me against a talented Miami team. That is as bad as people saying beating up on BSU would be a cake walk. Just plain dumb.
It's not entitlement at all - it's simply being sick of a crap system that doesn't work and isn't fair. A system that annoints some teams, allots them more money, resources, and exposure, while squatting on others. Your logic (and others) is basically that there is nothing Boise State can possibly do to play in the NC game. Nothing TCU can do. Nothing Utah can do. Utah in 2004 and in 2008 very likely was the best team in the nation, but we'll never know.

Further, the argument continues to shift. Now that Boise has a very real chance it's not about finding the best team because most people concede that Boise State can beat anyone given time to prepare for them. Now the argument is about body of work and having to run a gauntlet schedule week in week out. Of course, if Boise happened to be in the Big East, who is probably a worse conference right now than the MWC, the argument would be strangely moot.

Boise State fans don't disrespect programs that have earned the benefit of the doubt over decades. Teams like Miami have impeccible histories and Miami is an all-time top 10 program. No disrespect to their program in the least. But right now they're a shell of their former selves, so how much credit should be given for beating a team that's rated soley because of the U on their helmets? Like Notre Dame now. Or Michigan 2 or 3 years ago?

As for Ohio State... they're an elite program still and I do think they're the 2nd best team in the nation (actually, in my rankings I'd have Bama 1, and Boise/Oregon/Ohio State at a distant 2nd).

Quote:
If anything, a win over VaTech, a team who lost to James Madison...wow, color me impressed!
Boise State is so good they beat Va Tech twice!

Old 10-06-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
It's called a Preseason Poll. I believed the hype, and put them 4. After Week1, I had them at 3. VTech lost to James Madison, and nearly lost to ECU. Oregon State is no good...and they struggled at home. The WAC is a worse conference than C-USA and the MAC. I really don't know what you guys expect.

I know you guys have only had football since like 95...but catch up here. Also this is an ESPN Bandwagon team, and everyone knows it. FCS U jersey and a Lakers hat.
Preseason poll based on last year's results and the team coming back this year. Last year mattered. Quit ignoring that fact.

So last year matters when ranking teams but, strangely, it doesn't seem to matter when it comes to allowing BCS teams to jump Boise State.

Second of all, you're straight up clueless about the WAC and its respective quality... tell me how many MAC and CUSA teams are ranked? The WAC has two, nearly three with Fresno State. The WAC is actually rated above the Big East and ACC in the latest conference rankings. I'll trust their opinion to your laughable one. Conference Power Rankings: Week 5 - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN

And note: no one is saying the WAC is a better conference than the Big East or ACC... just that those conferences are down and the WAC is doing pretty good this year. Utah State hung with Oklahoma... Hawaii hung with USC... Nevada demolished Cal and BYU...

The MAC? You're officially a troll now. Congrats.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
First off, I think preseason rankings have more to do with the players teams have over from last season. NOT to say that previous seasons don't have any effects, but not that much.

And second, don't start gettin' into the "what ifs" like those BCS schools do, by saying that Boise's been far more impressive, considering the teams played.

Yeah, Boise State beat TCU in a game, which was their only loss (and if ya look at the Fiesta Bowl, it really wasn't a spectacular showing by either team), but this is Week 6. Last year is gettin' further and further away. There's still more football to be played, so don't get too much ahead of yourselves.
Hey, I like TCU a lot. I just think they haven't played great this year (yet) at all. I think they're good enough to crush the teams they've played, but they've showed no focus. It's like they're bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football