Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:02 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,034,320 times

Advertisements

Boise State could have run up the score past 60 points today on Hawaii and gained over 900 yards. They could easily score 70+ points most games. This is something that is not reflected in the game summary and thus is not considered by those voters who rank teams without watching them play.

I think Auburn is very overrated. I think Oregon has an incredible offense and a decent defense, though I will admit that when your offense scores as quickly as Oregon's does it means your defense is going to give up more points. I think TCU could be the best team in the country but I think there is no reason to think that BSU is not just as good, if not better. TCU's schedule before the Utah game is pretty comparable to BSU's.

This is the year that shows why we need a playoff. We could put all four of these teams in, along with another overrated team or two from the SEC and see who comes out on top.

There is one scenario I haven't heard mentioned yet. Oregon could easily lose a game, as could Auburn. With Alabama losing to LSU you could find TCU and BSU as one and two in the BCS. The BCS snobs would have a fit but you could find the title game being a rematch of last year's Fiesta Bowl.

The biggest problem with that is that then the BCS would have to be "fixed" and it wouldn't be with a playoff. It would be something designed to make sure the AQ teams are never shut out again.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:05 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,291,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
I still think Boise State is getting jobbed. We beat TCU last year and return a better team. We pull our starters at half-time; TCU doesn't. Va Tech > Baylor and Utah combined. Played Oregon State better. Played Wyoming better.

Every Boise hater needs to read this article about Coach Pete and doing it the right way:

Chris Petersen doesn't need statement wins to deliver Boise State's status - ESPN
Funny. I don't remember TCU fans complaining about being "jobbed" when they were listed behind Boise State, even though they beat Boise in the Poinsettia bowl in 2008...

Old 11-07-2010, 12:53 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,964,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Funny. I don't remember TCU fans complaining about being "jobbed" when they were listed behind Boise State, even though they beat Boise in the Poinsettia bowl in 2008...
That's because Bosie State is just now starting to become a powerhouse. It's been decades since TCU won a National Title, but there's already a well established tradition in the "big leagues" of college football there.

Boise State's top 10 status is recent, so this is kinda new for BSU fans. No disrespect, but I think they're just learning how to deal with the exposure. TCU on the other hand is just getting something back it hasn't seen in years.

I do hate the fact that alot of people down the Broncos and all, but I understand why they're the most hated non-AQ school. Some of your fans do act like BSU has a storied history like Notre Dame...

Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,688,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
That's because Bosie State is just now starting to become a powerhouse. It's been decades since TCU won a National Title, but there's already a well established tradition in the "big leagues" of college football there.

Boise State's top 10 status is recent, so this is kinda new for BSU fans. No disrespect, but I think they're just learning how to deal with the exposure. TCU on the other hand is just getting something back it hasn't seen in years.

I do hate the fact that alot of people down the Broncos and all, but I understand why they're the most hated non-AQ school. Some of your fans do act like BSU has a storied history like Notre Dame...
I don't think that's it at all.

You're right that TCU has a far better history than Boise State. But TCU hasn't had that history for a long, long time. And, if we're going to be picky, Boise State's history is pretty good, too. We've won a JC NC and a DII NC. I know that's not the same as DI, but that's still a legacy of a winning program.

Most Boise State fans understand that TCU is every bit as good as Boise State this year, last year, the year before.

What's annoying is that this is a pattern of perception for us.

In 2008 we were left out of the BCS and played TCU, who beat us by a point in the Poinsettia Bowl.

In 2009 we were (perhaps rightfully) jumped by TCU because you guys beat us the year before and legitimately had a better schedule than us... and we were both "left out" and put at the kids table in the Fiesta Bowl.

This year this is what Boise State has faced:

- Hype like we've never had. We returned our entire team from a team that was easily one of the top 3 teams in college football last year... hype that this year might be the year for a NC, hype that our schedule was finally good enough, highest preseason rankings ever...

- Talk all summer that we couldn't compete with Virginia Tech. Then we go from an all time high to low when Va Tech collapsed at James Madison.

- And, despite rolling through the rest of our schedule, despite every break going our way (teams above us losing), somehow TCU is perceived as having a better schedule than us (not true) and they jump us.

- I can deal with TCU jumping us because I really think the teams are completely equal... but the fallout of them jumping us isn't that we simply get left out of the NC... but the potential is strong that we're left out of the BCS completely.

You'd be pissed too. Has nothing to do with what you're saying.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:10 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,451,588 times
Quote:
I still think Boise State is getting jobbed. We beat TCU last year and return a better team. We pull our starters at half-time; TCU doesn't. Va Tech > Baylor and Utah combined. Played Oregon State better. Played Wyoming better.

Every Boise hater needs to read this article about Coach Pete and doing it the right way:

Chris Petersen doesn't need statement wins to deliver Boise State's status - ESPN
Jobbed? The only teams getting jobbed are one loss schools like Stanford in the Pac-10, LSU in the SEC, Nebraska in the Big 12, or Wisconsin out of the Big Ten.

You can't seriously tell me you believe Boise would still be undefeated if they played in an elite conference week in and week out. Heck, having to go up against top athletes every week, the attrition alone would get to them.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:34 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,688,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Jobbed? The only teams getting jobbed are one loss schools like Stanford in the Pac-10, LSU in the SEC, Nebraska in the Big 12, or Wisconsin out of the Big Ten.

You can't seriously tell me you believe Boise would still be undefeated if they played in an elite conference week in and week out. Heck, having to go up against top athletes every week, the attrition alone would get to them.
That argument is a nonstarter and has been settled already: if Boise were in those conferences they'd benefit from a larger budget, better facilities, and better recruits.

LSU, if they win out, will play in the Sugar Bowl.
Nebraska will win the Big 12 and play in the Fiesta Bowl.
Stanford will likely get an at large bid, so will Wisconsin.

How is that getting jobbed?

Old 11-07-2010, 10:07 AM

16,411 posts, read 30,385,466 times
Let's see.

Some of the featured games on ESPN3 yesterday:

Idaho State vs. Georgia
Charleston Southern vs. Kentucky
Chattanooga vs. Auburn

I guess that none of the Sunbelt teams were available this week.

Seriously, I have always wished that a group of fans could get together and schedule two games for each of the Division I teams instead of these ridiculous pillow fights.

It seems to me that Boise State can only win the games that they are playing. If all the other schools or so much greater, why don't they schedule a home and home series?

Old 11-07-2010, 10:25 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,469,046 times
Quote:
That argument is a nonstarter and has been settled already: if Boise were in those conferences they'd benefit from a larger budget, better facilities, and better recruits.

Ask how that has worked out for Washington State, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Iowa State, etc. This is not necessarily the case.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:28 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,204,216 times
Quote:

PLAYOFF...freakin problem solved!! .College football is run by morons...lets face it.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,451,588 times
Quote:

Perhaps in the long run, but we're talking about this year's Boise team. And though I realize they are in a small media market, Boise didn't exactly clamor to join the Pac-10 now did they?

For they've got the formula down..play one, maybe two decent teams a year, preferably at home on their blue field. Then spend the rest of the season beating up on cupcakes while their PR firm puts out BS in the media about how they are disrespected if we don't fall over backwards at their undefeated record. I have to give them credit, because much of the college football world has bought it. Many of us haven't though, so this debate will continue.

You know there's something wrong with Boise's scheduling, when before the very first game, analysts are saying it will be their strongest test of the year.

And speaking of the VT game, if you remember correctly, BSU jumped out to a quick 17-0 first quarter lead primarily due to Hokie mistakes. From that point on, until they scored that final TD, they were outscored 31-9 by a club that lost to James Madison the following week. No team, worthy of NC consideration, gets outscored like that by anybody during the majority of the game. It also gives us a little look see as to how BSU would really fare were they to play in a top conference.

Last edited by Upton; 11-07-2010 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football