Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:08 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,685,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Perhaps in the long run, but we're talking about this year's Boise team. And though I realize they are in a small media market, Boise didn't exactly clamor to join the Pac-10 now did they?

For they've got the formula down..play one, maybe two decent teams a year, preferably at home on their blue field. Then spend the rest of the season beating up on cupcakes while their PR firm puts out BS in the media about how they are disrespected if we don't fall over backwards at their undefeated record. I have to give them credit, because much of the college football world has bought it. Many of us haven't though, so this debate will continue.

You know there's something wrong with Boise's scheduling, when before the very first game, analysts are saying it will be their strongest test of the year.

And speaking of the VT game, if you remember correctly, BSU jumped out to a quick 17-0 first quarter lead primarily due to Hokie mistakes. From that point on, until they scored that final TD, they were outscored 31-9 by a club that lost to James Madison the following week. No team, worthy of NC consideration, gets outscored like that by anybody during the majority of the game. It also gives us a little look see as to how BSU would really fare were they to play in a top conference.
BSU can't get into the Pac 10 because of academics. It isn't going to happen.

I'm fine with your analysis of Boise State's schedule if you were consistent. Do you say the same thing about TCU's schedule?

TCU's best game was an overrated Utah and an overrated Baylor. Boise State has played Va Tech and will play Nevada. Those teams were or will be similarly ranked.

Usually the MWC is better than the WAC but not this year. Conferences are about equal.

Both played Wyoming and Oregon State.

TCU has better stats but Boise pulls their starters out after the half, so they could easily claim the defensive stats TCU does.

And Boise beat TCU in January.

I don't get how people overlook TCU's schedule but continue to criticize BSU's. Jesse Palmer, Kirk Herbstreit, and Pat Forde have already taken this mistaken notion to task.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:

And speaking of the VT game, if you remember correctly, BSU jumped out to a quick 17-0 first quarter lead primarily due to Hokie mistakes. From that point on, until they scored that final TD, they were outscored 31-9 by a club that lost to James Madison the following week. No team, worthy of NC consideration, gets outscored like that by anybody during the majority of the game. It also gives us a little look see as to how BSU would really fare were they to play in a top conference.
Whatever.

How come nobody says that about any other team? For Boise its always "the other team gave them this" or "they had to win by a gimmick."

Va Tech is rolling through the ACC but none of that logic applies to those teams, does it?

Nebraska BARELY skates by South Dakota State but that logic doesn't apply there, does it?

Some people have strange logic.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,711,649 times
Quote:
Perhaps in the long run, but we're talking about this year's Boise team. And though I realize they are in a small media market, Boise didn't exactly clamor to join the Pac-10 now did they?
To be fair, I'm sure Boise State would've jumped at the chance to join the Pac-10 if an invite was possible. However, it's not happening. The Pac-10 is pretty heavy on academics and prestige. Boise State, to put it nicely, has neither.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:59 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,878,679 times
Quote:
Most true college football fans don't take Boise State seriously. They're in the middle of a seven game stretch now in which they play or have played.. New Mexico State, Toledo, San Jose State, Louisiana Tech, Hawaii and Idaho.

And we're supposed to be impressed when they beat up on these patsies?
I suppose a lot of people thought the same thing when they beat the Oklahoma Sooners (a top ten team) in a bowl game a few years ago?

I am a Nebraska Cornhusker fan and I would love to see a matchup with the Huskers and Boise State. There ain't a whole helluva lot of difference between #1 and #100 if #1 is having an off day and #100 is on top of their game.

GL2

Old 11-07-2010, 08:38 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,932,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
I don't think that's it at all.

You're right that TCU has a far better history than Boise State. But TCU hasn't had that history for a long, long time. And, if we're going to be picky, Boise State's history is pretty good, too. We've won a JC NC and a DII NC. I know that's not the same as DI, but that's still a legacy of a winning program.

Most Boise State fans understand that TCU is every bit as good as Boise State this year, last year, the year before.

What's annoying is that this is a pattern of perception for us.

In 2008 we were left out of the BCS and played TCU, who beat us by a point in the Poinsettia Bowl.

In 2009 we were (perhaps rightfully) jumped by TCU because you guys beat us the year before and legitimately had a better schedule than us... and we were both "left out" and put at the kids table in the Fiesta Bowl.

This year this is what Boise State has faced:

- Hype like we've never had. We returned our entire team from a team that was easily one of the top 3 teams in college football last year... hype that this year might be the year for a NC, hype that our schedule was finally good enough, highest preseason rankings ever...

- Talk all summer that we couldn't compete with Virginia Tech. Then we go from an all time high to low when Va Tech collapsed at James Madison.

- And, despite rolling through the rest of our schedule, despite every break going our way (teams above us losing), somehow TCU is perceived as having a better schedule than us (not true) and they jump us.

- I can deal with TCU jumping us because I really think the teams are completely equal... but the fallout of them jumping us isn't that we simply get left out of the NC... but the potential is strong that we're left out of the BCS completely.

You'd be pissed too. Has nothing to do with what you're saying.
Really, I was responding to what cyclone said about TCU fans NOT complaining about being left behind BSU that year. And now that I remember, TCU LOST two games that year, anyway. So why would Horned Frog fans complain?

I also mentioned the whole "tradition and history" thing because, let's face it, very few people care about the FCS division and D-II/D-III. BSU has only been in FBS for about 14 years and because of that (partially) BSU fans get attacked and seen as not being able to handle something that is just now happening to them.

Like I said, it's all perception.... But just to correct you on something, Kirk Herb-Street still LOVES you guys.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:53 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,286,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Really, I was responding to what cyclone said about TCU fans NOT complaining about being left behind BSU that year. And now that I remember, TCU LOST two games that year, anyway. So why would Horned Frog fans complain?

I also mentioned the whole "tradition and history" thing because, let's face it, very few people care about the FCS division and D-II/D-III. BSU has only been in FBS for about 14 years and because of that (partially) BSU fans get attacked and seen as not being able to handle something that is just now happening to them.

Like I said, it's all perception.... But just to correct you on something, Kirk Herb-Street still LOVES you guys.
What I said was that after the Poinsettia Bowl, where they beat Boise State (on Dec 23, 2008), TCU fans didn't complain when Boise was ranked ahead of them during the start of the following year (in 2009) ... they went undefeated and faced Boise again in the Fiesta Bowl that year (2009).

It would be pretty funny if TCU and Boise faced each other AGAIN this year... That would be quite the rivalry in the making, particularly if TCU doesn't leave the Mountain West for the Big East (since Boise is coming to the Mountain West next year)

Old 11-07-2010, 08:57 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,286,563 times
One thing that I think is stupid, is that if the season ended today and the bowl games were announced, Virginia Tech would be the the Orange Bowl (because the winner of the ACC is guaranteed a spot there), while Boise State (who beat VT) would be left out altogether (no BCS bowl game).

Old 11-07-2010, 10:06 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,932,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
What I said was that after the Poinsettia Bowl, where they beat Boise State (on Dec 23, 2008), TCU fans didn't complain when Boise was ranked ahead of them during the start of the following year (in 2009) ... they went undefeated and faced Boise again in the Fiesta Bowl that year (2009).

It would be pretty funny if TCU and Boise faced each other AGAIN this year... That would be quite the rivalry in the making, particularly if TCU doesn't leave the Mountain West for the Big East (since Boise is coming to the Mountain West next year)
Oh....

Well I still meant everything that was typed.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
One thing that I think is stupid, is that if the season ended today and the bowl games were announced, Virginia Tech would be the the Orange Bowl (because the winner of the ACC is guaranteed a spot there), while Boise State (who beat VT) would be left out altogether (no BCS bowl game).
And a 3 loss dreadful Big East team is in a BCS bowl as well.

I'm so mad right now... I don't even know...

Old 11-08-2010, 03:35 AM

214 posts, read 706,024 times
Boise State has to be one of THEE most over-rated teams in all of college football. Sure they play 1 or 2 good schools a year in non-conference play, any team can win when they only have to prepare for 1 or 2 tough games then get the rest of the season to "practice" for their bowl games. But the BS Smurfs in the PAC-10 or Big-12 and see how they far when almost every weekend is a test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.