Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:11 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
They bring a great tradition to the Big Ten. They will be natural rivals for Iowa. They can battle it out to see who are the champs of "Corn Country".
You can certainly make a good argument for that. The Hawkeyes will be more than happy to share a division with the Huskers. And UNL has meant alot to Iowa State down through the years (although, of course, the reverse isn't true).

But you might want to keep something else in mind:

A university, even a public flagship like UIowa, is a university, not a state and takes on its own set of variables removed from the state.

The University of Iowa is a prime example of a school whose image does not really coincide with its state.

Iowa is the far eastern part of its state and is more attracted to states east of the Mississippi than west. Minny is the big rival to the north, but Iowa relates more to UW than to UNL. Big Ten membership has always pulled Iowa regionally eastward. The university and its connection with Chicagoland, largely through enrollment from suburban Chicago kids shows a school far more Chicago related than Omaha related...or Lincoln related, for that matter.

Iowa as a school is cornless....the ag school is in Ames. And if history is any indication, in Hawkeye country, NU is in Evanston, not Lincoln.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 08:58 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I think the Big Ten is going to 14 teams sometime in the next 5 years. I see no other way Wisconsin would have agreed to split off to the East.

If the Big Ten adds another team in the East it is easy to slide Wisconsin over.
The Wolverines Athletic Director has been telling alumni that the Big Ten is looking to go to 14 within the next few years. And 16 is a possibilty.

MBlog

I think this is the short list that the Big Ten will be looking at:

Maryland/Virginia
North Carolina/Duke
USC/UCLA
CAL/Stanford
Toronto
Tennessee/Kentucky
Florida State/Georgia Tech/Miami/Florida

Texas and Notre Dame basically showed no interest when Nebraska was added. If the Big Ten wanted the usual suspects (Rutgers, Pitt, Missouri, etc.) they would already have been invited.

Also been looking into the Auburn pay for play deal. Looks like the best case scenario for Auburn is getting booted from the SEC, several people going to jail, death penalty for the football program. And maybe losing academic accredation. I'd also think SEC commissioner Mike Slive will get fired. Here's a link. As the Plains Burn......(Updated 11-17) - SEC Football - TigerDroppings.com

Old 11-24-2010, 09:27 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,187 times
Quote:
The Wolverines Athletic Director has been telling alumni that the Big Ten is looking to go to 14 within the next few years. And 16 is a possibilty.

MBlog

I think this is the short list that the Big Ten will be looking at:

Maryland/Virginia
North Carolina/Duke
USC/UCLA
CAL/Stanford
Toronto
Tennessee/Kentucky
Florida State/Georgia Tech/Miami/Florida

Texas and Notre Dame basically showed no interest when Nebraska was added. If the Big Ten wanted the usual suspects (Rutgers, Pitt, Missouri, etc.) they would already have been invited.

Also been looking into the Auburn pay for play deal. Looks like the best case scenario for Auburn is getting booted from the SEC, several people going to jail, death penalty for the football program. And maybe losing academic accredation. I'd also think SEC commissioner Mike Slive will get fired. Here's a link. As the Plains Burn......(Updated 11-17) - SEC Football - TigerDroppings.com
Maryland/Virginia are the best bet, in my opinion. Especially Virginia.

I can't imagine a Pac10 bolting for the Big X for any reason. This is about TV sets and money, but academics do play a role. The Pac 10 is the one conference who is at least on par with the Big X on the academic front. There's just nothing to gain from a Stanford or Cal leaving the Pac 10. I haven't thought about the Big X going after SEC or ACC teams outside of Maryland/Virginia, that's interesting.

Pitt, Rutgers, and Mizzou may still be in play for the Big X. They didn't go after them yet, but they might be on the short list if a 16 team conference is the plan. Rutgers seems like an odd fit, but they do have the prime NE location the Big X wants.

Who knows with Texas? They're holding all the cards and can pretty much choose where they land: Pac10, Big XII (if it survives), Big X, Mtn. West j/k, or independent.

Either way, 16 team "super conferences" will happen in the next few years.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Maryland/Virginia are the best bet, in my opinion. Especially Virginia.

I can't imagine a Pac10 bolting for the Big X for any reason. This is about TV sets and money, but academics do play a role. The Pac 10 is the one conference who is at least on par with the Big X on the academic front. There's just nothing to gain from a Stanford or Cal leaving the Pac 10. I haven't thought about the Big X going after SEC or ACC teams outside of Maryland/Virginia, that's interesting.

Pitt, Rutgers, and Mizzou may still be in play for the Big X. They didn't go after them yet, but they might be on the short list if a 16 team conference is the plan. Rutgers seems like an odd fit, but they do have the prime NE location the Big X wants.

Who knows with Texas? They're holding all the cards and can pretty much choose where they land: Pac10, Big XII (if it survives), Big X, Mtn. West j/k, or independent.

Either way, 16 team "super conferences" will happen in the next few years.
Your probably right about the PAC-10 teams not being interested. I was thinking this summer when it looked like it was going to be the PAC-16 that Stanford and CAL might leave. Just can't see them wanting to be associated with Stillwater and Lubbock. LOLs. Since that didn't happen then they have no reason to leave.

I think Virginia and Maryland might be easier to get than people think.
I also think it is unlikely an SEC team would leave, as they make plenty of money and it is a stable conference. Can't help but wonder if a payout to Florida jumped from 20 million currently in the SEC to 50-60 million in the Big Ten would be motivation to bolt. And this whole Auburn mess might destabalize the SEC enough that teams schools start looking. Which is why I think the Big Ten will look at some SEC schools.

Missouri, Pitt etc could be number 16. But I think a 16 team BigTen must include Notre Dame or it won't work moneywise.

I really like Toronto also. 45,000 students. Top 20 academically in the world. 26 million households in Canada. More athletic programs than any other school in the Western Hemisphere. Big time hockey team. Enormous research budget. Only problem is they play that 8 man football. How long would it take for them to convert to American fb? And how long until they are competitive?

Hopefully, Big Ten Expansion-Palooza is back in full swing. LOLs.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:08 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Last time I checked, Toronto was in Canada. There aren't any Canadian teams in the NCAA. Would that even be allowed by the NCAA and U.S./Canadian governments?

Old 11-27-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Last time I checked, Toronto was in Canada. There aren't any Canadian teams in the NCAA. Would that even be allowed by the NCAA and U.S./Canadian governments?
I see no reason why the NCAA would have a problem with a Canadian team playing. Or the governments. They play a bowl game in Toronto.

Canada's population is that of Texas. Would probably add many households to the Big Ten Network. Plus, I think it would help with recruiting for all Big Ten teams. And the Big Ten would be the only international conference.

Only real questions for me are:

1. Can Toronto make a successful jump to American football?

2. Can that team from Ann Arbor get passports? Do they allow convicted felons in Canada?

Old 11-27-2010, 04:53 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
I see no reason why the NCAA would have a problem with a Canadian team playing. Or the governments. They play a bowl game in Toronto.

Canada's population is that of Texas. Would probably add many households to the Big Ten Network. Plus, I think it would help with recruiting for all Big Ten teams. And the Big Ten would be the only international conference.

Only real questions for me are:

1. Can Toronto make a successful jump to American football?

2. Can that team from Columbus get passports? Do they allow convicted felons in Canada?
Fixed it for you.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Fixed it for you.
LOLs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football