Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,455 times

Advertisements

Most of these threads have now deteriorated into a pro-conference/anti-conference squabble amongst a whole bunch of people who may or may not even have a dog in the fight. It reminds me of little dudes standing on the outside of a brawl waiting for one to get knocked down all the while pestering everybody by talking smack.

So, let's get everything in the open by stating what college you support. Note, I am not saying you had to have gone there, but what team do you like to see do well- and possibly even get aggravated if they do not do well? And no, do not state a conference or list more than one team. No one cares if your lil' sweetheart daughter went to Obnoxious State University that just happens to be good this year. And no one cares if you went to one school for a year, only to drop out and end up somewhere else. There has been too much talk about conferences and not enough talk about teams lately. And no, do not give me that bs about, "Well, I like USC in football, North Carolina in basketball, LSU in baseball, Arkansas in track, UCLA in water polo, Minnesota in hockey, Vasser in field hockey, blah, blah, blah." That is truly the ultimate in Bandwagoness Pathetico- a crippling ailment that affects far too many people.

What college football team do you support? If you care to tell us the reason why you support them, feel free. On another note, I think it is actually kinda cool to hear about why people like certain teams. I know one poster went to Wofford and I thought that was interesting as I remember beginning graduate school at University of Tennessee- Knoxville and going to a baseball game where they played Wofford. I found out that day they were called the Terriers. I looked up some info on Terriers afterwards and I have been pretty set on getting a Boston Terrier since.

I'll go first- Oregon Fighting Ducks- Quack, Quack!

Graduated from the school and pretty much owe all my money to them for a million years. I actually grew up a huge Arizona Wildcat in a household where the USC Trojans were king- father was an SC man (we had family in Zona). I actually remember going to an Oregon-SC game in like 1987 and cheering for the Trojans- yeah, I feel dirty everytime i think about it. Wife is a Longhorn where she graduated with Honors from the Honors school, but i have converted her to the Darkside and she roots for the Ducks- probably to keep me happy. During the Fiesta Bowl the Ducks came out of the tunnel and we all cheered. My 8 month old daughter, who pretty much claps after any sign of excitement, sat there stone-faced. K-State came out and she began clapping (probably doesn't help that her nursery is purple). I have my suspicions about her. She has another chance next year to get on board or we will have a serious talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times
TCU Frogs, since I could walk.

(817-4-Life)

Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Auburn, baby. I grew up on Pat Sullivan, Auburn's first Heisman winner, throwing to Terry Beasley, suffered through the 1970s, saw fresh hope in 1982 when Pat Dye came aboard, watched Bo Jackson play, up through the present day. I watched Auburn get utterly hosed in 1983 for a national championship because Miami won the vote in a beauty contest, watched Auburn get hosed out of a shot for the BCSCG in 2004 only to watch Oklahoma wet itself on national television, finally to win it all in 2010. I have seen three undefeated seasons since 1993 and three Heisman winners.

I love the Tiger Walk and the flight of the Eagle. I love that when visitors come to Auburn, they are treated with hospitality and respect, not taunting and obscene gestures (I'm talking about you, West Virginia, LSU and a few other places). I like that when an opposing team comes to our stadium and loses, we don't taunt them with songs that say, "We just beat the hell out of you" like they do at Alabama. Instead we invite them to our tailgate, give them refreshments and wish them a safe trip home. I love the beauty of the campus. I loved rolling the oaks at Toomers Corner before some knuckle-dragging Alabama fan decided to poison the entire copse of trees. I love fresh-squeezed lemonade at the drug store, too.

My father went to Auburn, my mother went to Auburn, my two brothers and my sister went to Auburn. My wife went to Auburn, three brothers-in-law and two sisters-in-law went to Auburn, and my daughter starts Auburn next fall. By a quirk of fate, I didn't go to Auburn, chiefly because I got a really good scholarship to an excellent private college elsewhere. But I wish I had gone to Auburn. When I die, there are three places where I'd like my ashes to repose: McKimmon Pass in New Zealand, the columbarium at my church, and the turf of Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Wasn't a good year for us this year. I totally admit I was blindsided by it. But next year will be a completely different story.

Last edited by cpg35223; 01-10-2013 at 06:09 AM..

Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,270,686 times
Do I have to say it?? Aw man, Fine. My team is Notre Dame. There! I said it! Can I go now?

I grew up less than 20 miles from campus and, while I never went there, I had 2 cousins graduate from there and my dad got his MBA there. For a few years in my adult life I lived only a mile or so from campus. I've been there for a handful of football games, many basketball games, and some hockey games. I guess just growing up close to South Bend you get sucked in and can't escape.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,453,161 times
FSU if I wasn't apparent by now. I am an alum. Go Noles!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,581 times
SC Gamecocks. It hasn't always been easy, but it is surely getting better.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM

601 posts, read 1,075,932 times
Gator fan here, despite the Sugar Bowl loss to Louisville, we had a great season. That's a huge accomplishment.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Clemson Tigers!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Roll Tide.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM

376 posts, read 295,883 times
Fightin' Texas Aggie 12th man class of 85
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football