Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 09:19 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,920,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
As a few others have said, no automatics for a conference champion. I would rather have a 11-1 2nd place power 5 team than a 7-5 conference champ.
Who said that would happen?

In an 8 team playoff format with THIS current system of "Power 5 conferences" are you really going to see a 7-5 conference champion from the SEC, Big XII, ACC, B1G, and Pac 12?

That's like MAC or American Conference territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 09:50 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,668,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Who said that would happen?

In an 8 team playoff format with THIS current system of "Power 5 conferences" are you really going to see a 7-5 conference champion from the SEC, Big XII, ACC, B1G, and Pac 12?

That's like MAC or American Conference territory.
Wasn't it Syracuse that went to a BCS bowl with a terrible record? What was the record of the PAC 12 south a year or two ago. What if they would have won the championship game?

Old 11-29-2014, 09:59 PM
JJG

Quote:
Wasn't it Syracuse that went to a BCS bowl with a terrible record? What was the record of the PAC 12 south a year or two ago. What if they would have won the championship game?
That was the BCS, this is the playoffs. That Syracuse team was NOT playing for a national title.

It's still pretty rare to have a 7 or 8 win conference champion, but even if it did (1.) I would think they would have enough sense NOT to put a 7-5 team in the playoffs over a 10-win team, HOWEVER (2.) what if there's a year when we only have 7 teams with over 8 wins? You would have to take the best out of those 7 or 8 win teams, so I really don't think it should be that much of an issue. Just call it "a down year" and let them play.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:34 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,668,432 times
Quote:
That was the BCS, this is the playoffs. That Syracuse team was NOT playing for a national title.

It's still pretty rare to have a 7 or 8 win conference champion, but even if it did (1.) I would think they would have enough sense NOT to put a 7-5 team in the playoffs over a 10-win team, HOWEVER (2.) what if there's a year when we only have 7 teams with over 8 wins? You would have to take the best out of those 7 or 8 win teams, so I really don't think it should be that much of an issue. Just call it "a down year" and let them play.

You posted about automatic slots for conference winners. That is what I answered. Of course a 7 or 8 win team wouldn't be in the top 4 when there are 11 and 12 win teams.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:43 PM
JJG

Quote:
You posted about automatic slots for conference winners. That is what I answered. Of course a 7 or 8 win team wouldn't be in the top 4 when there are 11 and 12 win teams.
This is what you posted...
Quote:
So that's why I answered the way I did. You're the one who brought up 7-5 teams.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:55 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,871,184 times
Quote:
...huh?
In 1996, an unranked 7-4 Texas team defeated #3 Nebraska team to win the Big 12 and get the Fiesta Bowl berth. Colorado was the #2 team in the Big 12 North, didn't get to play in the Big 12 championship game, and ranked in the top 10 at the time. Kansas State the #3 team in the Big 12 North was a top 15 team. Neither Colorado nor Kansas State would have made a 8 team playoff, but Texas would have if conferences got automatic bids.

In 2003, #15 Kansas State won a weak Big 12 North, defeated #1 Oklahoma and #6 Texas did not win the Big 12 despite beating Kansas State, having a better record and being higher in the polls.

In 2001, #21 LSU, 8-3, beat #2 Tennessee to win the SEC, but SEC East had #5 Florida, 9-2.

In 2005, #13 Georgia beat #3 LSU to get the Sugar Bowl bid over #9 Auburn and #14 Alabama. Georgia went on to lose to West Virginia in the bowl game, while Auburn and Alabama won their bowl games.

In 2005, #22 Florida State, 7-4, defeated #5 Virginia Tech, winning the ACC. Miami and Boston College were both ranked higher than Florida State after the ACC championship game, but didn't get to go to BCS bowls.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:59 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,154,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
It's going to be interesting to see how things unfold should the undefeated and 1 loss teams win out. I think only 1 SEC gets in and deserves to get in. It will probably be either Bama or Miss State. It will be interesting to see what happens if Missouri were to win the SEC Title game. They have an awful loss to Indiana on their record this year.

I wonder if not having a title game will hurt the Big 12 teams - Ohio State could really polish their resume if they win the Big Ten after beating a ranked team in the title game. But they also have a bad home loss to Virginia Tech.

My Picks:

Florida State
Oregon
Alabama
Ohio State
Lol, the same Ohio st that lost to Virginia tech? No Ohio st does not deserve to get in.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:05 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,154,114 times
Quote:
As a few others have said, no automatics for a conference champion. I would rather have a 11-1 2nd place power 5 team than a 7-5 conference champ.
Totally disagree. How many teams from a power conference actually win their conference by going 7-5? And if you go 11-1 in a power conference you would probably get one of the at large bids anyway. So I think conference champions is the way to go. You don't win your conference you have know room to complain about not getting in.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:09 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,871,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Totally disagree. How many teams from a power conference actually win their conference by going 7-5? And if you go 11-1 in a power conference you would probably get one of the at large bids anyway. So I think conference champions is the way to go. You don't win your conference you have know room to complain about not getting in.
Not 7-5, but the ACC had a very long stretch where the ACC champs were 8-4, 9-3 or 9-4 and ranked outside the Top 15 prior to their bowl game. All the conferences have had teams that were ranked lower than 15 to win a conference championship and make a major bowl. There are some examples above.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:17 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,579,144 times
Four is plenty. When you start going to 6 or 8 then the 2 loss teams start appearing, conference champs or not. An 8-2 or weak conference champion might have only 2 'big' games to get up for and it's not right that a team like Alabama that has to get up and run a gauntlet like LSU, Miss ST, Auburn and then Mizzou should jeapordize their success against some slackers that lost when they should have won and/or feasted on cupcakes. The proven elite shouldn't have to keep proving themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football