Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 11:37 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,923,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
The committee should have established that at any point during the season a team gives up 50 or more points in a loss they will be inelible for playoff consideration. IMO there is something fundamentally wrong with allowing a team that gave up 61 points to play for a NC.
That's a pretty sh*tty rule.

Almost like saying "any teams that don't score more than 21 points in a game shouldn't be allowed to play for a NC".

(Seriously, what kind of logic is that?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 06:57 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,617,948 times
The real story here? It doesn't matter how much any of us huff & puff about who should be in (or out) of the Playoffs.

The Committee decides, and whether their decision came from political or financial, subjective or objective motivation - whatever they decide is what's going to happen. What anyone else believes never was going to count, and they don't really have any obligation to be concerned about that.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:09 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,004,819 times
Ohio State shouldn't get in because of one game. If they get in, it should be the "body of work." The media really wants Baylor to be considered over TCU, because it's easier to justify Ohio State over Baylor instead of OSU over TCU.

ESPN wants Bama to win the title. TCU is gritty enough to give them problems. Oregon, FSU, OSU and Baylor are good matchups, but they aren't stopping Sims, Cooper, Henry and Yeldon.

Wiscky laid down in that game. If OSU didn't have a shot at the playoff (if we were in the BCS system), that game is about 30 points closer...at least. The media's leaning is all based on ratings and what helps their bottom line. SEC dominance must continue, so they want Bama to have the easiest path to a title.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:43 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,094,428 times
I will admit to not following college football until the last few weeks. However, if I just looked at yesterday's games, I would have to say OSU has one of the top four teams. Add to that the rankings by people who do have more knowledge about the sport, and that would seem to confirm my opinion.

A #4 team and a #5 team played against a #11 team and a #13 team respectively. If one is to have any faith in the people who do the rankings, even allowing for some variance in accuracy, there should not be that much difference between a 4 and 5 team as well as a 11 an 13 team. Assuming that the rankings are biased by earlier contests, that would account for the possibilities a close ranking could be off at the current time. Are we awarding spots to teams for consistency or for who is the best team now?

Would having 8 teams vs 4 teams create a situation where the best teams (right now) versus the most consistent over the season, would not end up in the final game? I doubt it.

Who would you want to see in the Superbowl? Two teams that played the first 12 games lights out but fell to a substandard team in the last four games or two teams that started out bad but got their acts together for the last twelve?

I was flipping back and forth between both games yesterday and what I saw in the FSU/GT game was two teams with a decent offense but no defense. What I saw in the OSU/Wisconsin game was an OSU team with a strong offense and a strong defense. Wisconsin gave no indication they were laying down. They were being handled by a superior team. I hadn't seen them play before so all I have to go on was the fact that they are ranked 13 going into that game.

In my opinion, anyone that feels OSU does not deserve to be in the top four is either biased against them for some reason, or didn't see the game yesterday, or both. That team that played yesterday would have beat half the NFL teams playing today. That 3rd string QB reminds me of how Joe Flacco came onto the scene for the Ravens.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:21 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,742,950 times
The committee will take OSU so they don't have to deal with TCU/Baylor mess so they'll just leave both out.

Baylor should be considered the Big 12 champ and should be in the final 4. You have to consider head to head when both teams only have one loss and practically played the same schedule. Otherwise, why not just play on paper and forget about actually playing the games.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:23 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,742,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I will admit to not following college football until the last few weeks. However, if I just looked at yesterday's games, I would have to say OSU has one of the top four teams. Add to that the rankings by people who do have more knowledge about the sport, and that would seem to confirm my opinion.

A #4 team and a #5 team played against a #11 team and a #13 team respectively. If one is to have any faith in the people who do the rankings, even allowing for some variance in accuracy, there should not be that much difference between a 4 and 5 team as well as a 11 an 13 team. Assuming that the rankings are biased by earlier contests, that would account for the possibilities a close ranking could be off at the current time. Are we awarding spots to teams for consistency or for who is the best team now?

Would having 8 teams vs 4 teams create a situation where the best teams (right now) versus the most consistent over the season, would not end up in the final game? I doubt it.

Who would you want to see in the Superbowl? Two teams that played the first 12 games lights out but fell to a substandard team in the last four games or two teams that started out bad but got their acts together for the last twelve?

I was flipping back and forth between both games yesterday and what I saw in the FSU/GT game was two teams with a decent offense but no defense. What I saw in the OSU/Wisconsin game was an OSU team with a strong offense and a strong defense. Wisconsin gave no indication they were laying down. They were being handled by a superior team. I hadn't seen them play before so all I have to go on was the fact that they are ranked 13 going into that game.

In my opinion, anyone that feels OSU does not deserve to be in the top four is either biased against them for some reason, or didn't see the game yesterday, or both. That team that played yesterday would have beat half the NFL teams playing today. That 3rd string QB reminds me of how Joe Flacco came onto the scene for the Ravens.
Sorry, no. The Raiders would DESTROY any college football team.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:56 AM

9,776 posts, read 7,491,769 times
What a farce!! Bring back the BCS, at least it would have given us the 2 best teams, which weren't a question

West Virginia 7-5 (road) and Baylor 11-1 (road) are better losses then Virginia Tech 6-6 (home).

Not only would TCU & Baylor win all 8 ACC games by double figures (FSU only won 5), they'd likely win all 8 games by 20 or more points which FSU only did once.

I don't have a problem with OSU getting in, TCU or Baylor should be in before FSU is.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:58 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,205,958 times
TCU can beat Alabama, Ohio State can't

Some more SEC Bias

Old 12-07-2014, 10:58 AM

328 posts, read 435,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
What a farce!! Bring back the BCS, at least it would have given us the 2 best teams, which weren't a question

West Virginia 7-5 (road) and Baylor 11-1 (road) are better losses then Virginia Tech 6-6 (home).

Not only would TCU & Baylor win all 8 ACC games by double figures (FSU only won 5), they'd likely win all 8 games by 20 or more points which FSU only did once.

I don't have a problem with OSU getting in, TCU or Baylor should be in before FSU is.

You are forgetting something. OSU had 5 offensive players not playing that day and a freshman QB who now is considered a top 4 for the Heisman.

Now they destroy Wisconsin with a 3rd string QB which is very impressive. No program in the USA has 3 QBs who can do what they did yesterday.

Fla St is who you should be talking about, they are a 4 losses team easily without the luck they have had or the homer calls.

Buckeyes are the most improved team week to week of all teams period.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:51 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,549,620 times
I really haven't followed college football much this season, but why not make it top 8 teams? Extend the season another week..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football