Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2018, 11:37 AM

939 posts, read 506,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Yeah, but if you're gonna trash Ohio State for an ugly loss to Purdue. You can't give Georgia a pass for losing the regular season finale to Georgia Tech and losing the SEC Championship game to Alabama just because they're an SEC team.
Georgia beat Georgia Tech yesterday. And nobody is getting a pass from me because they are in the SEC. I frankly don’t care about any conference. Just want the four best teams in the playoff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 11:56 AM

5,719 posts, read 4,694,001 times
I still don't understand how Notre Dame gets the pass for not playing in a conference championship. Other than the fact of their history.

Alabama looks too good. Clemson gave up a bunch of yards to SC. Notre Dame hasn't looked great against mediocre competition. If Georgia beats Bama, those will be the four. If Georgia loses, it could get interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Clemson won a national title in 1981.....
....and barely avoided the death penalty for rampant cheating.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:35 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Georgia beat Georgia Tech yesterday. And nobody is getting a pass from me because they are in the SEC. I frankly don’t care about any conference. Just want the four best teams in the playoff.
I didn't mean you per se, I meant the media and the committee. My bad on Georgia yesterday but IMO you can't have two losses (Georgia loss to LSU earlier in the season) and get in. If they let Georgia in, then the committee would be giving Georgia a pass because they're an SEC team if no other team gets that kind of a pass neither should they.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:49 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I still don't understand how Notre Dame gets the pass for not playing in a conference championship. Other than the fact of their history.

Alabama looks too good. Clemson gave up a bunch of yards to SC. Notre Dame hasn't looked great against mediocre competition. If Georgia beats Bama, those will be the four. If Georgia loses, it could get interesting.

....and barely avoided the death penalty for rampant cheating.
They're 12-0 and that's always going to get a team at least some consideration. They also have several quality wins. They beat Northwestern, an 8 win team and Big Ten West champs. They beat Syracuse, a 9 win team. They beat Michigan, a 10 win team. Plus other Power 5 conference wins over 7 win teams - Pitt and Stanford. 10 of their 12 wins came against Power 5 conference teams.

That's more than likely the reason they will be in the playoff. Plus their presence will help with ticket sales and TV ratings.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:52 PM

939 posts, read 506,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I didn't mean you per se, I meant the media and the committee. My bad on Georgia yesterday but IMO you can't have two losses (Georgia loss to LSU earlier in the season) and get in. If they let Georgia in, then the committee would be giving Georgia a pass because they're an SEC team if no other team gets that kind of a pass neither should they.
I don't think its an issue of anyone getting a pass. Ohio State and Oklahoma hardly have done much to distinguish themselves as one loss teams. Teams with two losses can be ranked higher than one loss teams, If not, then we shouldn't be holding Central Florida to a higher standard. They should be in the playoff with zero losses, regardless of their schedule and who they have/haven't beaten..

Old 11-25-2018, 09:45 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
Say what you will about Notre Dame and their no conference affiliation (they are guaranteed of playing 5 ACC games a year that's it) but 2...well really 3 things, going for the Domers.

1) They are 12-0....and they carry ratings. As of today, there are currently only 3 other undefeated FBS teams: Alabama, Clemson & UCF, and all 3 have to play another game next weekend, so it's possible albeit quite unlikely, that Notre Dame could be the only unbeaten FBS regular season team.
2) This year they beat 2 division winners (Northwestern & Pitt), a third that tied for a division (Michigan), and played and beat a 9 win Syracuse team. That could very well be the toughest schedule in the country, Sure, it helps when you only have 5 "locked" dates so you have freedom to schedule 7 other opponents, but when they are all good all in 1 season you should be rewarded.
3) As I said yesterday with Alabama & Clemson even if they both lost 1 of their 2 remaining games I think they would still be in the playoff just based on how far the gap, in my opinion at least is between the top 3.....4...….and than everyone else. Alabama after yesterday's win is officially in. They could lose by 70 to Georgia, turn the ball over every possession, and not get past their own 25 yard line and they will be 1 of the 4 teams in. I still feel that way about Clemson (yesterday's win officially puts them in even if they lose to Pittsburgh) though their situation is a lot less dicey. IF they get blown out, I guess it's possible they could get left out. The schedule wasn't the greatest with only A&M & Syracuse to hang their hat on and they struggled in both games. Notre Dame even IF they played an extra game in a conference championship game would be officially in after last night's game. As I said yesterday, the final spot comes down to 5 teams essentially:
1) Georgia. Beat Alabama, you are in, and you join Alabama in the playoffs giving the SEC 2 playoff participants for the 2nd year in a row.
2) Oklahoma. Beat Texas, and have Alabama beat Georgia, you are in keeping the Big 12 in the playoff.
3) Ohio State. Now you need some help, but beat Northwestern, have Oklahoma & Georgia lose and you are in the playoff getting the Big 10 back to the playoff after a 1 year hiatus.
4 & 5). Here's where the fun starts. Now what happens IF Georgia, Oklahoma & Ohio State all lose?? I think it comes down to whether UCF or Michigan is ranked higher because whoever is would have the inside track. I would favor UCF, but the committee would probably favor Michigan. Even IF UCF is higher ranked this week (which I think they will be) will a close win over an average Memphis team without their starting QB be enough to hold off Michigan who has the superior schedule. It should be, but this is the NCAA we are talking about here. You couldn't possibly jump a 3 loss Texas in there could you with a win, even though it's highly probable they'll be a top 8 or 9 team in the playoff rankings this week and would knock off a top 5 team??

My top 10:
1) Alabama
2) Notre Dame
3) Clemson
4) Georgia
5) UCF
6) Oklahoma
7) Ohio State
8) Michigan
9) Washington
10) Washington State

Here's what I THINK the top 10 will be. Let's see who's closer come Tuesday:
1) Alabama
2) Clemson
3) Notre Dame
4) Georgia
5) Oklahoma
6) Ohio State
7) UCF
8) Michigan
9) Texas
10) Washington

Old 11-25-2018, 11:15 PM

455 posts, read 651,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
...and barely avoided the death penalty for rampant cheating.
Hmm, at best that is an overstatement of history. Are you a Chicken fan by chance?

Old 11-26-2018, 07:54 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
I hate that Notre Dame is going to get in the playoffs. I see them getting blown out in the semi-final. If Georgia hangs on to a close game in the SEC championship, I think they should get in at #4. Putting Oklahoma in would be a waste of a good semi-final game. They don't have a defense and rely on hurry up and slinging the ball all over the field. That always ends badly when a team like that meets a real defense. I too wish they would move UCF up and put them at 4 so they could get waxed and we wouldn't have to listen to them anymore. It is a complete joke that they think for a second that they could hang with one of the top teams in a game that matters.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:05 AM

Barring unforeseen circumstances (i.e Alabama and or Clemson losing), Notre Dame will be either the 2 or 3 seed playing Clemson in 1 semifinal. As I've said here before and on other boards when it comes to playoffs: Not a whole lot of difference separating a 2 seed and a 3 seed on a neutral field. I'd probably still make Clemson a favorite, but do I think Clemson would blow them out?? Not really, unless you think down by 10 going into the 4th quarter with the ball in Clemson territory, and 2 turnovers and 3 Clemson touchdowns later the final margin reads 31 points, constitutes a blowout??

Old 11-26-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I hate that Notre Dame is going to get in the playoffs. I see them getting blown out in the semi-final. If Georgia hangs on to a close game in the SEC championship, I think they should get in at #4. Putting Oklahoma in would be a waste of a good semi-final game. They don't have a defense and rely on hurry up and slinging the ball all over the field. That always ends badly when a team like that meets a real defense. I too wish they would move UCF up and put them at 4 so they could get waxed and we wouldn't have to listen to them anymore. It is a complete joke that they think for a second that they could hang with one of the top teams in a game that matters.
I know it's different teams, but that's funny seeing as the same team that beat Alabama by double figures last year lost to that "joke" UCF team in their bowl game .

And I don't think it matters, as Memphis over UCF is going to be my upset pick of the week, so they'll be done one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football