Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2019, 11:44 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
UNC, Michigan State, Texas A&M, Iowa, Air Force today
Notre Dame over Iowa State. Maybe because they aren't in the playoff, but nobody (good thing) is bringing up Notre Dame. Sure, outside of a blowout of Navy they lost to the only 2 good teams they've played (Georgia & Michigan), but they had the same record as Alabama and more top 25 wins.
Penn State over Memphis. Really want to pick Memphis since in the end I think James Franklin is going to **** it up, the college equivalent of the Texans Bill O'Brien, but with the coaching turnover at Memphis hanging over them like a black cloud, I think the Lions win.
LSU over Oklahoma. Maybe close for a half, but LSU wins going away, 47-20
Ohio State over Clemson. Clemson is due to lose at some point, and hey why not in this spot?? The Buckeyes showed they can come back from a double digit deficit against a quality opponent, like they did in the Big 10 title game, how will Clemson respond if they are down by 14 at halftime, much like Ohio State was in that Big 10 title game?? Sure, Ohio State wasn't really challenged much at all this year, but the Big 10, especially the Big 10 East was a much tougher gauntlet than Clemson went through in the ACC. Outside of the UNC game this year, and I think 1 game last year, Clemson really hasn't played another game the last 2 years, even in last year's playoffs where the outcome was in doubt at the start of the 4th quarter, and I think that's a problem not a lot of people are bringing up. Ohio State 24-20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 12:50 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
The Buckeyes showed they can come back from a double digit deficit against a quality opponent, like they did in the Big 10 title game, how will Clemson respond if they are down by 14 at halftime, much like Ohio State was in that Big 10 title game??

This.. I mentioned a while back. We have not seen Trevor Lawrence in a situation where he was down and having to come from behind. Up until the B10 championship, we hadn't seen Fields in that situation, either.

The only times Lawrence has been seen where the game basically wasn't over in the first half was last year against Syracuse, where he didn't play 3 quarters.. Last year against A&M where.. He didn't play great.. But, both of those were unique situations. One he was hurt, the other he was splitting time with Kelly Bryant.

Then, there's the game this year against UNC. He didn't play BAD in that game. 18/30 for 206. But.. There has to be some concern there.

Defensively.. I don't really have concerns. Remember that last year they lost Dexter for the playoffs, and everyone said "Oh, that's it.. They can't win without him". But the defense has been excellent this year, save some secondary issues. As I've mentioned.. Muse is my concern here. But I think Venables has them ready.

I think the biggest concern I have is the kicking game. Potter is.. Intermittent.

Last year.. noone gave them a chance. Oh, they beat Notre Dame.. Notre Dame was a paper tiger.. Tua would carve them up.. Then they destroyed Alabama.

I won't be shocked if Ohio State wins.. I also won't be surprised to be hearing another "Little 'ol Clemson" speech from Dabo after a Clemson win.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:55 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Default Future of NFL?

Fun read before today's championship games.

https://sports.yahoo.com/clemson-ohi...kip=1577522899

Apart from the close history between Lawrence and Fields, a similar story could be written about transfer QB standouts Joe Burrow of LSU and Oklahoma QB Jalen Hurts.

https://sports.yahoo.com/burrow-vs-h...kip=1577523190

Burrow reminds me most of Tom Brady, albeit much more polished at the university level, and Jalen Hurts resembles Lamar Jackson in size and skills, although Hurts is a better passer at this early stage of his career. Both Burrow and Hurts likely will be top 5 NFL draft picks in the 2020 draft.

Last edited by WRnative; 12-28-2019 at 02:03 AM..

Old 12-28-2019, 06:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Iowa looks impressive so far.
Taking SC man cards
And showing they have athletes as well
Truly impressed with Iowa. I am a huge SC fan, but in our family pool I switched to Iowa. UC hasn't been an impressive as in many years before and we have a lot of friends here from IOWA so I just did a switch around. Sure am happy with my decision. In fact had a great day yesterday and I will need it. I have some underdogs today.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:09 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Default Will Buckeyes' Class of 2017 defensive stars prevail against Clemson?

If Ohio State wins today, one reason will be the excellence of its 2017 class of recruits. I found this comparison especially interesting.

<<They were seven of the top 53 recruits in the country, and three years later those seven Buckeyes from the Class of 2017 are leading Ohio State into Saturday’s College Football semifinal against Clemson, all of them major contributors, six of them starters, four of them first-team All-Americans....

That’s what the Buckeyes’ 2013 class did as sophomores, when Joey Bosa, Ezekiel Elliott, Vonn Bell, Eli Apple and others turned a No. 2 recruiting class into a national champion in 2014. But even that group only had four recruits ranked as high as these seven Buckeyes.>>

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2019/1...evel-team.html

The four highest-ranked members of the 2017 recruiting class (Chase, Okudah, Browning and Wade) all were ranked among the top 20 national recruits, and all are defensive players who will be crucial contributors if the Buckeyes are able to slow down Clemson's vaunted passing attack.

On offense, Ohio State will depend on NFL-ready receiver "technicians" to overwhelm Clemson's suspect secondary. And on an offensive line fully staffed by All-Big Ten and All-American starters, and on J.K. Dobbins, who needs 99 yards to surpass Eddie George's single season rushing record.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2019/1...day-focus.html

Dobbins (with 3 career seasons) already is second behind Archie Griffin (with 4 seasons) on the Ohio State career rushing record list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_S...#Rushing_yards

Last edited by WRnative; 12-28-2019 at 10:41 AM..

Old 12-28-2019, 03:57 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Whatever, like I said, outside of Clemson the ACC went 2-11 against the Power 5 this year outside of Clemson with wins over South Carolina and Rutgers.

Big XII outside of Oklahoma went 5-4 against the Power 5.

If Wake can beat Michigan State it would be the first ACC non Clemson win over a P5 team with a winning record............except Michigan State doesn't have a winning record. LOL.
Big 12 teams haven't looked good in their bowl games so far.

I can't recall seeing a 49-14 type of score after 1 half in a post season football game.

perhaps I just cursed Clemson by making this observation with them on deck lol

the crazy thing is these Big 12 teams are not even scoring a lot.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-28-2019 at 04:08 PM..

Old 12-28-2019, 04:43 PM

1,149 posts, read 451,541 times
Oklahoma is who we thought they were- a total fraud sporting its usual junior varsity defense. Who needs an 8 team playoff if there isn't a fourth team that is better.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:05 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Notre Dame over Iowa State. Maybe because they aren't in the playoff, but nobody (good thing) is bringing up Notre Dame. Sure, outside of a blowout of Navy they lost to the only 2 good teams they've played (Georgia & Michigan), but they had the same record as Alabama and more top 25 wins.

That's because whenever Notre Dame gets to the top tier of bowl games, they perform epic pants wetting.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:12 PM

1,149 posts, read 451,541 times
I don't see any issue with Joe Burrow transitioning perfectly well to the NFL. The Bengals would be out of their minds to pass on him. The Dolphins blew their chance by playing to win the 2nd half of their season.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:20 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caj727 View Post
I don't see any issue with Joe Burrow transitioning perfectly well to the NFL. The Bengals would be out of their minds to pass on him. The Dolphins blew their chance by playing to win the 2nd half of their season.

The Bengals will ruin him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football