Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2019, 02:09 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,805,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Everyone is assuming the Committee is going to drop Bama to at least 5th. But they are sitting at No. 4 in the AP and coaches' poll this week. If Georgia and Bama come in at 4 and 5 in the CFP rankings, respectively, Bama could get back in with a Georgia loss to either Auburn or LSU.

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2019/11...-coaches-polls

We could see the following 1 loss teams: Oklahoma (worst loss but conference champ), Bama (Common opponent over Oregon), Minnesota (undefeated but then one extra game compared to Bama and a loss to #2 team) and Oregon (conference champ, could have best numbers).

Tough scenario here. And this is no chaos scenario. Clemson, OSU, LSU, Oklahoma, Oregon win out and all projected to do so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 03:05 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Is Joe Burrow the most improved college player of all time? I can't think of any player who went from mediocre to potential No. 1 draft pick in a single season. Athlon Sports had Burrow ranked as the 28th best QB in college football coming into this season. That was a spot ahead of Jake Bentley, which is a rather fair assessment based on his play in 2018 if you're being honest.

https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...-rankings-2019

247 Sports ranked him 25th.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...8/#131124138_1

PFF was a bit more bullish on Burrow, placing him at No. 17 on their list, but still below the likes of Bryce Perkins, Tyler Johnston, Shea Patterson and K.J. Costello.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-pff...kings-for-2019

Old 11-11-2019, 03:09 PM

This (sorta) answers my question.

Quote:
As recently as this summer, Joe Burrow was an NFL draft afterthought. Following a forgettable junior season in 2018, the LSU quarterback was considered to be at best a fifth-round pick. One prominent scouting service ranked eight senior QBs above Burrow in the 2020 class—and that didn’t include underclassmen like Georgia’s Jake Fromm or Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa, who Burrow may face off against on Saturday. As a physically limited QB with average production as a starter, there was little expectation that Burrow would turn into anything more than a late-round project and potential backup. Well, let’s just say a lot has changed in three months.
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1...t-stock-rising

Old 11-11-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I saw the physically limited comment it’s kind of an ignorant statement. Burrow has always been able to spin it. He was neck and neck with Haskins until he broke his hand. He was essentially beat out by a first round pick with more reps. Nothing to be ashamed of and He Never had an arm issue at Ohio State. He was an all state point guard in high school and “dual threat” QB he’s got plenty of physical talent. He played small school Ohio football so he didn’t get the accolades hype although I believe he was Mr. Ohio Football which is pretty good honor consider he played small hs in southern Ohio. He never got the reps in three years at OSU so naturally the first year (last year) might be feeling out process he still had respectable numbers

Did LSU change it’s offense from last year?

Old 11-11-2019, 04:47 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
I think LSU will drop at least one game. Their defense is going to catch up with them.

I think Texas AM is going to beat at least one of LSU and UGA.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:10 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I saw the physically limited comment it’s kind of an ignorant statement. Burrow has always been able to spin it. He was neck and neck with Haskins until he broke his hand. He was essentially beat out by a first round pick with more reps. Nothing to be ashamed of and He Never had an arm issue at Ohio State. He was an all state point guard in high school and “dual threat” QB he’s got plenty of physical talent. He played small school Ohio football so he didn’t get the accolades hype although I believe he was Mr. Ohio Football which is pretty good honor consider he played small hs in southern Ohio. He never got the reps in three years at OSU so naturally the first year (last year) might be feeling out process he still had respectable numbers

Yes they brought in a guy from the Saints to be "passing coordinator". Last year Burrow was a really good comp for Sam Ehlinger. A really good runner and just an OK passer.

This year he is a great passer in their new system.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:14 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,388,011 times
Another day of an interestion MACtion game, another week of picks that is posted in Tuesday. Here they are.

Western Michigan vs. Ohio
North Carolina vs. Pittsburgh
(22) Louisiana Tech vs. Marshall
Fresno State vs. San Diego State
(13) Florida vs. Missouri
Indiana vs. (9) Penn State
TCU vs. Texas Tech
Tulane vs. Temple
UMass vs. Northwestern
(23) Navy vs. (17) Notre Dame
(7) Georgia vs. (15) Auburn
(11) Memphis vs. Houston
(24) Texas vs. Iowa State
Wake Forest vs. (4) Clemson
(5) Minnesota vs. (25) Iowa
Wyoming vs. Utah State
Stanford vs. Washington State
Arizona State vs. Oregon State
(20) Appalachian State vs. Georgia State
Louisville vs. NC State
(10) Oklahoma vs. (14) Baylor
UCLA vs. (8) Utah
USC vs. Cal

Pick Overall Record: 154-107
Pick Record Last Week: 14-12

Here are my picks.
Western Michigan vs. Ohio (Going to take a guess, and say that Ohio bounces back from last Wednesday night.)
North Carolina vs. Pittsburgh (Every time i think Pitt's finally gonna beat North Carolina, i get proven wrong. Until i am proven wrong on UNC winning, i'm taking them.)
(22) Louisiana Tech vs. Marshall (Going to take LaTech to keep rolling, although admittedly, i haven't seen much of Marshall this season.)
Fresno State vs. San Diego State (A bit of a tough call, but i'll take the Aztecs at home.)
(13) Florida vs. Missouri (Don't really see Mizzou keeping their small streak against Florida alive, even though they do play a lot better at home than on the road. This is a game to keep an eye on, though.)
Indiana vs. (9) Penn State (Sorry, Hoosiers. I've enjoyed how y'all have looked this year, but i think this is the week your winning streak comes to an end. 9Windiana isn't out of the question, though. Michigan comes to town next week, and the last two times they came, they were lucky to get out of Bloomington alive, so maybe this is the year you get over that hump.)
TCU vs. Texas Tech (Didn't know who to pick here.)
Tulane vs. Temple (Going to go with Tulane on the road.)
UMass vs. Northwestern (If Northwestern somehow loses this game, Pat needs to have Mick McCall fired into the sun.)
(23) Navy vs. (17) Notre Dame (This game got a lot more interesting than it looked at the beginning of the year, and shows that Navy's 2018 season was the exception under Niumatalolo, not the new rule. I expect a fun matchup, but i'll take Notre Dame in another struggle win. As if we haven't seen that before...)
(7) Georgia vs. (15) Auburn (I was a bit nervous about going with Georgia considering how big of a factor Kirby Smart's performances against SEC West teams on the road have turned out so far, but i think this is the year he reverses that trend. Auburn has one of the conference's better defenses, but i and many others are not impressed with how their offense has looked against decent or even semi-decent defenses. I don't think their defense is going to be able to do enough to slow down Georgia, although i expect this will remain with two scores, maybe even one. Even the blind squirrel that is Auburn's offense does find a nut once in a while, as they haven't been held below double-digits yet.)
(11) Memphis vs. Houston (I'm going to pick Memphis to win this one, but i'm not expecting a blowout - Houston has a bad record, but they're not a garbage team either, having hung 31 on Oklahoma and giving Tulane and SMU fits.)
(24) Texas vs. Iowa State (Another week, another 50/50 matchup involving Texas. What's new with us? Jack Trice has become a tougher place to play than it was just 4-5 years ago, although i'm going to take the Longhorns to eek another close one out like they did last Saturday.)
Wake Forest vs. (4) Clemson (Could Clemson actually have another competitive regular season game for once this year? Maybe, even with Wake's two losses, but i'm leaning more towards Clemson running away with this one.)
(5) Minnesota vs. (25) Iowa (If Iowa wants a chance to win, they cannot entirely rely on their defense - Brian Ferentz will actually have to use his brain a few times to come up with something creative. Fleck seems to somewhat like playing Tressel-ball, which damn near bit him against Penn State, but i will take the Golden Gophers to win on the road, but scoring less points than they did against Penn State.)
Wyoming vs. Utah State (One of the better G5 matchups of the week. Going to take Utah State.)
Stanford vs. Washington State (Both teams have been big disappointments in the Pac-12 this year, although the home team seems to be in better shape for this one.)
Arizona State vs. Oregon State (This game got more difficult to choose a winner, didn't it? Arizona State has been on a bad streak, and Oregon State has improved, although that game against Washington was an ugly one. I'm going to take Oregon State to get their first home conference win. Really liking what i'm seeing from Jonathan Smith, and considering how nonsensical the Pac-12 is, Oregon State being a dark horse for the division in 2020, or evening winning it outright wouldn't be the most insane thing to happen.)
(20) Appalachian State vs. Georgia State (Although Georgia State got stopped in their tracks a bit last Saturday, this isn't a game App State needs to sleep on. I'll be taking them on the road, though.)
Louisville vs. NC State (Another tossup game in the ACC.)
(10) Oklahoma vs. (14) Baylor (Last Saturday could have gone a lot better for Oklahoma than it did, blowing a 20-point lead and would have lost had the 2-point conversion not been intercepted. Baylor needed 3 overtimes to beat a weird TCU team. Nice choice for GameDay coming here, although i do have more faith in the Sooners to win this than i do Baylor, however, since my opinion on Baylor has much improved from what it was 2-3 seasons ago, wouldn't make me mad one bit if the opposite happened.)
UCLA vs. (8) Utah (The Bruins have been a bit of a spooky team as of late, but i think the Utes end their hot streak, and lower their odds at bowl eligibility.)
USC vs. Cal (Cal has been weirdly up-and-down this year, but although this may shock a few of you, i'm going to take them to beat USC again.)

Old 11-12-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post

I don't think the "physically limited" description was about his athleticism, but rather his arm strength.

Quote:
The digs came with a purpose, but they were consistent. Urban Meyer liked to fluster his quarterbacks with callouts and insults, attempts to see which young guys could take it and which couldn’t.

So whether it be during an Ohio State film session or in the middle of practice, the jabs at a freshman Joe Burrow were constant.

Not enough velocity, Joe.

You’re a Division III quarterback.

You throw like a girl.

The comments toward Burrow had a consistent theme: arm strength. On a roster with quarterbacks like J.T. Barrett and Cardale Jones ahead of him, Burrow’s velocity — or lack thereof — fell behind. “My arm strength wasn’t up to par,” Burrow told The Athletic.
https://theathletic.com/1223839/2019...n-development/

Old 11-12-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I don't think the "physically limited" description was about his athleticism, but rather his arm strength.

https://theathletic.com/1223839/2019...n-development/
I can’t read the whole article but
“On a roster with JT Barrett...”. JT GREAT COMPETITOR but he was the definition of no arm talent. I’ll give him credit though He’s hanging around the Saints roster. So it’s astonishing that if standing side by side That Joe had the D3 arm talent. It was probably Urban getting in his head challenging him.

Joe didn’t get many playing reps at OSU but his arm strength was probably somewhere between JT and Haskins - both are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:22 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Congratulations to LSU!! So nice to see Bama whipped- especially in their own house! Bama does not deserve to get in the playoff- they have not beaten anyone of consequence, and play a pathetic non conference schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football