Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,916,708 times

Advertisements

I'm a 23 year old Sophomore who received a full-tuition scholarship to BC this past August. This does not include living expenses such as rent and food. This is a $50,000 tuition school, and I would never be able to afford to go to a school like this.

I grew up in Boston, but moved at the age of 17 to Miami, Fl.

The elegance of the school itself amazes me and the student body is clearly affluent, especially compared to me. The quality of the classes are great, but the workload is hefty and it has proven extremely difficult for me to even hold down a part-time job and keep my GPA up to requirements.

The problem is, I'm pretty miserable. I have been a happy person but I'm not happy anymore. I can't wait until I graduate and can move somewhere else. Boston does not suit me anymore, I'm a free-spirited beach bum, and an entrepreneurial wannabe trapped in corporate internships in a corporate city.

I grew up in a suburb of Boston, but the only ties I have left up here are aunts who take advantage of me having a car and driving them everywhere and 2 girlfriends who are kind of living in lala land, one of whom I'm thinking of cutting off completely. Old friends whom I don't keep in touch with anymore are on drugs such as oxycontin. My boyfriend is great, but love isn't enough to keep me happy here.

I miss Miami so much, I miss my mother and I'm causing financial strain on her because she is paying my rent right now and my living expenses. I couldn't even afford warm clothes until I got my credit card and I still barely have enough clothes. All of my things are shorts and summer dresses, winter clothes are so expensive. Even the college bars are really expensive here, same price for a drink here as it was at the bar I worked in @ South Beach (super touristy area in Miami).

I'm considering leaving BC and moving back in with my mom in Miami, going to a state university and paying for it.

I just don't know if I should leave this opportunity behind. I feel like it might be pretty stupid to walk away from a Boston College scholarship.

I would have never even considered leaving, until I interviewed a woman for one of my classes who went to Boston University during the '50s on a full-scholarship, but dropped out to become an artist and a poet.

Help, I need advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 10:30 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,844,312 times
I got a full ride to the Rochester Institute of Technology, which is a very prestigious and expensive school in Rochester, NY and turned it down. College just isn't my thing.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 AM
s06

105 posts, read 256,578 times
One of my cousins was given a football scholarship, in Oklahoma, but he decided to quit college after his freshman year; He made a lot of friends, but found the classes too difficult. He now works at Walmart and isn't happy there, either.

My relatives who didn't go to college would've loved to have had a full-scholarship; I think they'd say, "Take it!" You could always move after graduation.

Have you tried shopping for winter clothes at thrift stores? People have written positive reviews on Yelp about the ones in the Boston area (apparently, the affluent people who live in the area donate clothes from higher-end stores).

Good luck, whichever you choose.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:24 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,916,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I got a full ride to the Rochester Institute of Technology, which is a very prestigious and expensive school in Rochester, NY and turned it down. College just isn't my thing.
Nice, what did you end up doing instead? Are you happy with your decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s06 View Post
One of my cousins was given a football scholarship, in Oklahoma, but he decided to quit college after his freshman year; He made a lot of friends, but found the classes too difficult. He now works at Walmart and isn't happy there, either.

My relatives who didn't go to college would've loved to have had a full-scholarship; I think they'd say, "Take it!" You could always move after graduation.

Have you tried shopping for winter clothes at thrift stores? People have written positive reviews on Yelp about the ones in the Boston area (apparently, the affluent people who live in the area donate clothes from higher-end stores).

Good luck, whichever you choose.
Thanks for the input, but used clothes give me the skeevys...altho maybe its just something I need to get over

Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 AM

484 posts, read 970,892 times
stick with it, graduate, move.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,844,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Nice, what did you end up doing instead? Are you happy with your decision?
I am happy with my decision. I'm an internet marketer. I have no debt and I have a six figure income. And I'm turning 19 in April.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
If you are getting a full ride at BC there is a good chance you can get a full ride at any college in Florida, a full ride including housing even. Why not apply to schools there?

Old 03-05-2012, 09:13 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I'm a 23 year old Sophomore who received a full-tuition scholarship to BC this past August. This does not include living expenses such as rent and food. This is a $50,000 tuition school, and I would never be able to afford to go to a school like this.

I grew up in Boston, but moved at the age of 17 to Miami, Fl.

The elegance of the school itself amazes me and the student body is clearly affluent, especially compared to me. The quality of the classes are great, but the workload is hefty and it has proven extremely difficult for me to even hold down a part-time job and keep my GPA up to requirements.

The problem is, I'm pretty miserable. I have been a happy person but I'm not happy anymore. I can't wait until I graduate and can move somewhere else. Boston does not suit me anymore, I'm a free-spirited beach bum, and an entrepreneurial wannabe trapped in corporate internships in a corporate city.

I grew up in a suburb of Boston, but the only ties I have left up here are aunts who take advantage of me having a car and driving them everywhere and 2 girlfriends who are kind of living in lala land, one of whom I'm thinking of cutting off completely. Old friends whom I don't keep in touch with anymore are on drugs such as oxycontin. My boyfriend is great, but love isn't enough to keep me happy here.

I miss Miami so much, I miss my mother and I'm causing financial strain on her because she is paying my rent right now and my living expenses. I couldn't even afford warm clothes until I got my credit card and I still barely have enough clothes. All of my things are shorts and summer dresses, winter clothes are so expensive. Even the college bars are really expensive here, same price for a drink here as it was at the bar I worked in @ South Beach (super touristy area in Miami).

I'm considering leaving BC and moving back in with my mom in Miami, going to a state university and paying for it.

I just don't know if I should leave this opportunity behind. I feel like it might be pretty stupid to walk away from a Boston College scholarship.

I would have never even considered leaving, until I interviewed a woman for one of my classes who went to Boston University during the '50s on a full-scholarship, but dropped out to become an artist and a poet.

Help, I need advice!
BC is rich, but it's not so incredible academically that it would be a crime to leave it. I think if you can transfer back home, live with mom and save a bunch of money for both of you and finish your degree there, then there is nothing wrong with that. If you're almost done, then you should stick it out - most schools won't let you transfer more than 60 credits or so, so transferring after more than two years usually means increased time and cost.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,917,455 times
Instead of taking a loan to go to school in FL, take a loan to pay your living expenses in Boston and get a degree from BC.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
A friends son turned down a full ride to university of Michigan (one of hte best schools in the USA) in order to attend Notre Dame with no scholarship @ $50K a year. Needless to sya his mother is not the happiest camper in the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities