Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:29 PM

9 posts, read 41,622 times

Advertisements

I'm considering going back to school for an MBA (hopefully tier 1) and I'm debating whether to apply for a full time or part time program. I'd most likely be moving out of state for the MBA program, but I would prefer to enroll in a part-time program so I have the option to work while I'm attending school.

Do most schools allow you to apply for the part-time program even though you're not currently working in the area at the time of application? I remember reading that Northwestern's Kellogg School of Management had some restrictions regarding this. Also, is a full-time MBA degree much more valuable than a part-time degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:38 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
The question of full-time vs. part-time MBA is a very loaded one; and in many instances, only you can make the final decision. Opportunity cost is a big factor. An MBA from a Tier 1 program will cost a premium tuition-wise; and not working full-time while in the program only adds to the bottom line. However many of these programs are the most beneficial for the full-time MBA student; so that cost may be worth it.

In my humble opinion, if your employer offers tuition reimbursement...then it is quite foolish to not opt for the part-time MBA and have your employer foot the bill. This way, any gain whatsoever from obtaining the MBA is 'all gain'. Yes, there is a chance that you can leave your job; relocate to become a full-time MBA student, and double your salary when you come out a year later. But would you bet your life on it? Well, if you are a career-changer...maybe. But just so that you can get a 'promotion'. Hmmm

I am in an online part-time MBA program (definitely not 'Tier 1' though). I must say that it takes a lot of your own initiative to network, stay involved, and basically 'feel' like an MBA student. But B-schools do run the gamut in this regard as well. Do what you can to visit the schools, talk to or read up on the experiences of current students there. I find that Bloomburg Businessweek has some very good articles and resources for those applying to MBA programs including this article which talks about the full-time vs. part-time MBA question (you can use the search feature to find others). Or try searching Vimeo for videos on this topic.

And finally, in regards to how employers view full-time vs. part-time programs. Well, unless you are talking about at on-campus recruiting events, most employers will not notice probably. True, most people think that a full-time MBA takes 1 year to earn. However plenty of MBA students go into their programs without previous college coursework in business. These students will take more than 1 year even in a full-time program. Whereas a part-time MBA can still earn their degree in one year if they are a business major from undergrad. Of this also varies by the school. Most expect that MBA students will take coursework year-round. While others schedule the classes around a more conventional Fall/Spring schedule. Therefore, it becomes hard for an employer to determine if an MBA was gained via a full-time or part-time program, just by looking at your resume.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:43 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Therefore, it becomes hard for an employer to determine if an MBA was gained via a full-time or part-time program, just by looking at your resume.
It's usually not that hard: you look at the dates on the job educational experience (or graduation dates) and compare... if the dates are not on there, the resume is likely to get chucked in the trash anyway. Even if the person makes it through the resume scan, it usually comes out in the interview.

I happened to have gone full-time, even though my employer would have paid it all if I had gone part-time. A big part of it was that I wanted to get away from my current job and have the full-time experience at a really good school, which I happen to personally find much more challenging and rewarding. Also, the employer you're with is not necessarily likely to bump your salary immediately just because you earned an MBA; when I got mine and landed my job, I instantly jumped from the mid $60Ks to the mid $90Ks. With all that said, bright people can make it in business with either full-time or part-time MBAs - or neither. I know enough people with just a college degree who outrank the majority of MBAs their age.

Finally, I would say that in my experience, most full-time MBA programs are two years; most students doing a part-time MBA at a big school will take three years.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:42 AM

Thanks for sharing your experiences and advice MissShona and ambient. I still have a lot to consider and research before diving into an MBA program. The employer that I'm currently with unfortunately does not offer tuition reimbursement (which is surprising since it is a Fortune 100 company - it's a very frugal tech company... can you guess which one?) so this makes my decision a bit harder.

Ambient - just out of curiosity, did you change careers after getting an MBA or did you stay in the same sort of role/industry but land a job that was at a higher level? I've been in Accounting/Financial Analyst roles for the past 4 years but I have a desire to move into management consulting. I feel like going back to school would be necessary to get into this field.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's usually not that hard: you look at the dates on the job educational experience (or graduation dates) and compare... if the dates are not on there, the resume is likely to get chucked in the trash anyway. Even if the person makes it through the resume scan, it usually comes out in the interview.
How many people omit dates from their resume? That's not a standard practice. What I am talking about is that you usually can't tell my dates and/or timing alone. Because different MBA programs have different credit requirements. Not to mention that there is a difference in the educational background between MBA students; and the fact that 'full-time' graduate studies is defined as only 9 credits per semester.

Quote:
Finally, I would say that in my experience, most full-time MBA programs are two years; most students doing a part-time MBA at a big school will take three years.
Schools differ a lot on this. Look at the University of Florida's (http://www.floridamba.ufl.edu/FutureStudents/traditional.asp - broken link) 1 and 2 year full-time MBA options.

Last edited by MissShona; 08-10-2010 at 04:43 AM..

Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
I think a full time MBA can be more valuable because of the connections you make. You're more likely to have better relationships with people that you see full time as opposed to only part time/night school.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA_Guy View Post
I'm considering going back to school for an MBA (hopefully tier 1) and I'm debating whether to apply for a full time or part time program. I'd most likely be moving out of state for the MBA program, but I would prefer to enroll in a part-time program so I have the option to work while I'm attending school.

Do most schools allow you to apply for the part-time program even though you're not currently working in the area at the time of application? I remember reading that Northwestern's Kellogg School of Management had some restrictions regarding this. Also, is a full-time MBA degree much more valuable than a part-time degree?
You absolutely can apply part time to a program in a different area of the country. I know a few people who started at the same time as me who got in, moved here and then looked for a job.

Part time vs full time: ask the school your are applying to if there is any difference in classes. Some schools offer different degrees for part vs full time (the degree itself will say part time). Stay away from those...schools that do that typically make their part time programs easier than full time, and employers know that.

A good way to find out if part time and full time programs are equivalent is to ask the school if you are able to switch from part to full time halfway through without reapplying. If they make you re-apply to the university for the full time program, then part/full are different enough that you probably aren't going to get as good of an education as full time.

Just my $0.02...this is based solely on personal experience from my hunt for an MBA program...

Old 08-11-2010, 07:00 AM

12 posts, read 22,994 times
MBA full-time or Part-time is same. You spend same credit hours in both programs.
Need not to worry when applying for job.

You are an MBA and MBA is WORTH !

Old 08-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the response guys. And hnsq, that is some great advice - I'll make sure to check with the schools to see if there's any difference in classes between PT/FT and if they allow people to switch without reapplying.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleEdward View Post
MBA full-time or Part-time is same. You spend same credit hours in both programs.
This is not necessarily true. This is what is the MOST frustrating when it comes to shopping around for MBA programs...in that there is little standardization as to what an MBA 'is'; even among those programs that are accredited by the AACSB.

Look at this comparison chart of the MBA programs offered by George Washington University. Notice that the part-time MBA is branded as a 'Professional MBA'. Yes, B-Schools are masters of marketing (surprise, surprise). However is every hiring manager in the know in regards to B-School lingo? Now way. My goodness, even MBA students themselves can't keep the terms, variations and programs straight from school to school. So that is the upside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities