Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:15 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,461,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagostrey View Post
that is an entirely unfair assumption to make. people change, their circumstances change. i got that low gpa because i didn't or was unable at the time to put in the effort required to do a better job. it is not an indicator of my inherent abilities as a student.
This may be true, but the world operates by what you show them. Talk is cheap. Many people miss the subtle point that good grades are not really intended just to show that you're smart; it's also meant to show that you're dedicated - that you've got the toughness to put your nose to the grindstone and follow through on results, even when things are hard. This is a more important quality in most employment areas than just sheer IQ.

So if you want to go to grad school, the task is simple: show prospective schools that you can do this and that you're serious about it. How? By acing the entrance exams (those generally will require a lot of studying). By gaining whatever relevant extracurricular experience you can in your intended area of focus (you'll be writing a lot about it in application essays and talking about it in interviews), even if it's for little or no pay. By taking perhaps just a few relevant related courses on the side and demonstrating how well you do in those.

These are the things that you amass so that you can communicate to them through your applications, essays, and interviews: "Look, I'm a different person than I was back then. I can roll up my sleeves and work hard." It won't be easy, but that's the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:50 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,748,959 times
Quote:
that is an entirely unfair assumption to make. people change, their circumstances change. i got that low gpa because i didn't or was unable at the time to put in the effort required to do a better job. it is not an indicator of my inherent abilities as a student.
Its not an assumption its a statement of fact. I am not disagreeing with you that you did not put in the effort to get a better GPA, but so what? Grad school is (or at least should be) for true scholars. You have not demonstrated that you are one, maybe you are capable, but that is what undergrad is for, PROVING you are capable.

Second, you are coming across as being the victim in the situation instead of being a responsible adult. Grad school is for adults, my brother did not have the GPA he needed to go to grad school for a variety of reason (some similar to yours) but reasons are not excuses. He realized that regardless of WHY he did not get good grades it was ultimately HIS responsibility. He did exactly what I suggested you do, he went back, paid for the classes he needed to retake, and brought up his GPA.

YOU are responsible for your grades. If you want to go to grad school that is the first thing you need to realize.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:17 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,068,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Register as an undergrad in a good but different BA program in the target grad school. Take courses that will meet prerequisite requirements or even count toward grad school electives. Maintain 4.0. and apply to grad school.
This sounds like a good idea.

Now, I hate to be an ass, but are you (the original poster) certain that you are cut out for graduate and/or professional school? Are you certain that you would be intellectually qualified to work a job that would require having an advanced or professional degree? This is something to really think about.

Do you think you could earn a high GPA as a graduate student? What makes you think you'll do better academically if you're competing against very ambitious people who are smarter than average?

What, specifically do you want to study? The overwhelming majority of graduate degrees are not worth the price of tuition and living expenses today and our nation has a huge oversupply of people with advanced and professional degrees who cannot find work in their fields. Think long and hard about this before committing yourself to something that could be very expensive and potentially disastrous.

Don't go to graduate school just to go to graduate school; the days when merely possessing an advanced degree in any or most fields would essentially guarantee you a high income and steady, stable employment are long, long gone. If you can't find a job with your current undergraduate degree consider getting a 2nd undergraduate degree in a more marketable field before going to graduate or professional school.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
that sounds great but how would i finance it? i'm not exactly loaded you know.
How were you planning to finance graduate school?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:22 AM

Here is a posting of the obligatory, "So You Want to Get a PhD. in the Humanities?" cartoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obTNwPJvOI8

Old 01-04-2011, 01:27 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
You'll have to forgive me, as well, but it sounds like your 'circumstances' have been ongoing for 6 years...why do you expect to do better in grad school?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 PM

738 posts, read 2,958,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Register as an undergrad in a good but different BA program in the target grad school. Take courses that will meet prerequisite requirements or even count toward grad school electives. Maintain 4.0. and apply to grad school.

Actually, you dont need to even register as an undergrad. Just enroll in the college as a non-degree seeking student, and enroll in 1 or 2 courses that are part of the master's program you are part of. You would, of course, need to pay for it yourself, but suck it up and make it work like the rest of us do.

After my undergrad, I did this to start working on a masters; ironically, I was enrolled in courses from UVA and Va Tech this way at their Northern VA campus (assuming you're in the DC area if your parents are still in the diplomatic service). Email the advisors for the department that you're interested in enrolling in, and ask their advice. I was interested in starting an engineering masters from UVA, but didn't want to commit to the full-time program since I was also borderline from my undergrad gpa. I emailed the UVA advisor and attached an unofficial copy of my transcripts to discuss my options. All I had to do was fill out a form to enroll in classes (no formal admissions/applications to bother with), and then I was able to enroll in the classes as long as I met the prerequisites. The advisor was extremely helpful in discussing my options with me, telling me what were weaknesses and strengths in my transcript, and which courses would be best to take. I did it all via email, but they were happy to talk on the phone or arrange to meet me at their office if I had wanted. Take advantage of the advisors and ask them for advice for your situation, they're there to help.

Typically, if you have passed 2-3 grad classes with a B or higher, you've proven that you're capable of a grad degree at that college. You would then have to formally apply for the degree and take the GRE/GMAT if required, but you will have already proven to the school that you can handle their program. So my advice would be to contact the department advisor at the college you're interested in, and get their advice about which classes would be worth taking as a non-degree student if your goal is to transition into a degree-seeking student.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
Most places will admit you on a probation status, that is, probably not Harvard or Georgetown...but most state universities will, and if you do well the first semester will upgrade you to a regular student. It depends on the program, and also your scores on the GMAT, or GRE, which need to be fairly high. Remember, graduate school admission is based on other issues, like your commitment to your area of study, volunteer work, other work you have done in your field.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavMeAlone View Post
Why is everybody always so judgmental here?? Not just you, but you're the last person who said this. How is this "excuses" ? He explained what happened and led to it. People need to quit being so judgmental here. I swear, whatever people post on this forum....it's always wrong. He does deserve credit for wanting to further his education. I applaud him for that.
Seems like there are only people posting here with a 4.0 PhD.

Enroll as non-degree seeking student. I don't know how exactly this works, though. But do not audit any classes. That's a waste of money, imo. You need grades on your transcript, not an "audit". You might as well just go to whatever class, and sit in there and listen. That's free. It won't cost you anything. But again, that's not what you need.
Its not being judgmental, its being realistic. A graduate level education is not something someone is entitled to but something someone earns. The OP did not EARN the grades necessary for a decent grad program so why should she be entitled to one?

As for excuses, those of us with advanced degrees, we can tell you 100% in grad school they do not care why you can't get your work done. And to be perfectly honest the OP comes across as someone with a bit of a victim mentality now that is just two internet posts so that may not be indicative of their actually personality.

Many of us have had very difficult things to go through in college and just got done what we need to get done. A grad school basically want to own you and if you cannot manage to still keep your eye on the prize no matter what you are not a good gamble for them. What is something else happens?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
Actually, you dont need to even register as an undergrad. Just enroll in the college as a non-degree seeking student, and enroll in 1 or 2 courses that are part of the master's program you are part of. You would, of course, need to pay for it yourself, but suck it up and make it work like the rest of us do.

After my undergrad, I did this to start working on a masters; ironically, I was enrolled in courses from UVA and Va Tech this way at their Northern VA campus (assuming you're in the DC area if your parents are still in the diplomatic service). Email the advisors for the department that you're interested in enrolling in, and ask their advice. I was interested in starting an engineering masters from UVA, but didn't want to commit to the full-time program since I was also borderline from my undergrad gpa. I emailed the UVA advisor and attached an unofficial copy of my transcripts to discuss my options. All I had to do was fill out a form to enroll in classes (no formal admissions/applications to bother with), and then I was able to enroll in the classes as long as I met the prerequisites. The advisor was extremely helpful in discussing my options with me, telling me what were weaknesses and strengths in my transcript, and which courses would be best to take. I did it all via email, but they were happy to talk on the phone or arrange to meet me at their office if I had wanted. Take advantage of the advisors and ask them for advice for your situation, they're there to help.

Typically, if you have passed 2-3 grad classes with a B or higher, you've proven that you're capable of a grad degree at that college. You would then have to formally apply for the degree and take the GRE/GMAT if required, but you will have already proven to the school that you can handle their program. So my advice would be to contact the department advisor at the college you're interested in, and get their advice about which classes would be worth taking as a non-degree student if your goal is to transition into a degree-seeking student.
My graduate degree is in the sciences so maybe that is the difference but I have never heard of anyone being allowed to take grad classes who was not in the program. I know RU and WHOI wouldn't allow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities