Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:58 PM

415 posts, read 450,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post

I'm going to have to agree. I'd leave the grad school thing for the good students who can keep it together even through a crisis.

And this is someone who managed to get a 4.0 and a 3.8 during two quarters, one in which I was hospitalize after attempting suicide and the other in which my whole family life was falling apart.
BS. There is no such thing as "does not belong into grad school". Anybody who wants to further his education should go for it. If everybody would give up whenever he encounters obstacles, we would still be living in the stone-age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 05:12 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,137,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
BS. There is no such thing as "does not belong into grad school". Anybody who wants to further his education should go for it. If everybody would give up whenever he encounters obstacles, we would still be living in the stone-age.
There are some people who don't belong in college...would you disagree with that statement?

Same concept applies. If you cannot get through undergrad with very good grades, what makes you think that you will be able to get through grad school where the standards are much higher and getting a "C" can get you kicked out of the program?

Old 04-02-2011, 07:55 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,748,959 times
Quote:
But he isnt saying EVERYBODY should give up, he is saying that some people may need to.

The ability to succeed in college is not just a function of wanting to go but having a certain ability and mindset, those traits are even more important in grad school where the stakes are so much higher.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:06 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,748,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashk3 View Post
The question wasn't about "being responsible and acting like an adult." Being a "victim in the situation," or victim of the circumstances happens to everybody and it wouldn't be as horrible if there weren't pretencious pricks like you sneering every step of the way. God forbid something ever happens to you--and you are dealt the same hand. People come from many circumstances and want to know if they have a second chance.
Honestly, I'm not sure you have the appropriate amount of critical thinking skills to attend grad school as indicated by your incomprehension of a simple question. The person who needs to grow up is YOU.

My answer: I have a friend who got into a respectable university (undergrad english and philosophy for grad) and had a 2.8. What saved him was: one semster of all A's, a high GRE score, great recommendations, and taking a grad class before applying to grad schools.
Life is hard, people make mistakes...for some the price is high ( literally and figuratively). Keep you head up and ignore negativity.

Best of wishes,
And I hope you send some luck my way too!
Bit of hypocrisy here.

You criticize for my supposed assumptions and then make your own.

I was speaking from my own personal experience. My parents died during my junior year of my undergrad and I had to go from being a college kid to taking care of three siblings ranging from 6 to 14. It was hard, my grades slipped too, but I got it together and finished with a high enough GPA that I got into the grad school of my choice? Not because I am some sort of pretentious person, but because I just did it, no excuses.

Besides that I agree, life happens, to all of us. If you cannot manage your life without grad school you REALLY won't be able to manage it with.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:42 PM

80 posts, read 400,423 times
Just show them you can handle the work, otherwise, waste of your money and their time. In a similar vein, not everyone that gets good grades should be in grad school, the ability to regurgitate facts flawlessly does not demonstrate critical thinking. I do think about 15% of people who get good grades should not be in grad school, and about 15% of people who got bad grades should be in grad school.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:51 PM

415 posts, read 450,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
There are some people who don't belong in college...would you disagree with that statement?

Same concept applies. If you cannot get through undergrad with very good grades, what makes you think that you will be able to get through grad school where the standards are much higher and getting a "C" can get you kicked out of the program?
Well, you were talking about grad school. So, you obviously already have some College education.
And why not give everybody the chance to do it? There's no reasonable reason not to do it. They WANT to go, they don't HAVE to go. That's a huge difference. If you WANT to go, you are more motivated. I do not know much about it, but it was said that the student can enroll as non-degree seeking student, or whatever they call it, take classes and have that GPA considered. This would be an excellent option.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,137,115 times
Quote:
Well, you were talking about grad school. So, you obviously already have some College education.
And why not give everybody the chance to do it? There's no reasonable reason not to do it. They WANT to go, they don't HAVE to go. That's a huge difference. If you WANT to go, you are more motivated. I do not know much about it, but it was said that the student can enroll as non-degree seeking student, or whatever they call it, take classes and have that GPA considered. This would be an excellent option.
I was actually implying that if some high school grads don't belong in college, then some college grads do not belong in grad school.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:56 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,736 times
If you have the money, enroll in a class or two as a non-degree seeking student. If you can perform well and are comfortable in the grad school waters, apply.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:49 AM

360 posts, read 1,019,857 times
Honestly, if you want to do it bad enough, you'll find a way through. I graduated undergrad with a 2.9 and it took me six years because I went through a pretty steep personal crisis at the time that meant I had to take off a year and a half. I worked in my field for five years after graduation, got my life together, and started applying for grad school. I got into the program I wanted and am maintaining a 3.4 with expected graduation next year. It's not always easy but I think anyone who's dedicated enough and flexible enough to work with the cards they're dealt can do it.

Maybe you start out non-matriculated or part-time somewhere and transfer in after a semester. Maybe you repeat a few classes or take a few extra undergrad level classes to prep yourself. There's always a way. A friend of mine had a pretty low undergrad GPA and decided she wanted to go to law school - she went for a paralegal certificate (which she did well in) and studied her butt off for the LSAT and five of the schools she was aiming for accepted her. A poor undergrad record won't land you at a top school in a top program without some extra work but if you're dedicated enough there's always a way - even if it's extra work, time and commitment.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,660 times
Angry Absolutley ridiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am going to say the thing you are not supposed. If you didn't get a good enough GPA to get into grad school you do not BELONG at grad school.

If you have some burning desire than go back to your undergrad and retake the classes you did really badly in, might bring you up to a B-. But you have to pay for it, as you should.

This is by far the most ridiculous advise you can give anyone! Please keep in mind NOT everyone has a solid educational background!! It is difficult enough for most people who have to work for a living and maintain decent grades! most professors and advisers often look down on working students because of their inflexibility. The FACT of the matter is most of us do not have the option to live off family members and MUST work for a living, Hence, Life Happens!!!

Low grades can be explained away as long as you have a solid GRE score. I suggest try talking to admission counselors regarding your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities