Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:59 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,583,054 times

Advertisements

I would guess Case Western received a spike in applications because they were relentless with the spam and junk mail for practically anyone who got an above average score on the SAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 01:05 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,291,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I would guess Case Western received a spike in applications because they were relentless with the spam and junk mail for practically anyone who got an above average score on the SAT.
Here's an article from the Case Newspaper. They went from visiting 300 selected high schools to 900, and TONS of emails.

But whatever they did seemed to work:

Case Western Reserve University | News Center

Also, FYI, there is about $2 Billion worth of constructive and investment happening in and around campus right now. The area seriously looks ten times better (known as "University Circle")

Old 02-02-2011, 10:32 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Selective only means that they do not admit everyone who applies.
No big whop.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No big whop.
In a way, I guess so. But most of these schools don't have the capacity to just "let everyone in," including physical Dorm buildings, dinings halls, faculty, etc.

Case Western Reserve University, for example, only has enough Dorms for about 1000 incoming Freshman...meaning they can only let in about 1100-1200 students. Case had 13,300 applicants.

Other Universities have even higher ratios.

It's just mathmatically impossible to let in that many, so the University gets the luxury and headache of selecting.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No big whop.
So that would be every school then?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Pretty much golfgal, but there are other levels of selectivity - "less - selective' , and "non-selective"
as well as "open." Above that there is "very selective", "highly selective" and "most selective"

A good example of "open" would be community colleges.
Most colleges fall into the "selective" range which pretty much means that if your average is a low "B", your board scores are passable and you have a few extra curricular and a teacher for a letter of recommendation you can get in. It gets tricky if for some reason lots of people apply to that school that year. That's where they excercise their selectivity - they will take a B+ student over one of the many B B- students.
That is all that is meant by competitive.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:33 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The reason why Harvard grads are so valued, is in large part because they are friends with other Harvard grads. It is not what you know it is who you know that counts, and generally speaking you tend to meet the right people at elite schools.
That and they are smarter than 99% of the population.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:09 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,015,537 times
the reason is pretty simple imo...

There are more prospective students today than there ever were...

And, it's easier to apply to several colleges at once. Waay back in the late 90's when I was applying it was still done by hand. Now applications are only taken online and "user friendly."

Before you had to request the college catelogue, then receive the application packet in the mail and then fill it out.

Today I can just visit the school's website in a nano second, read the info and apply (or skip to the next one). A student can probably fill out 3 in an hour in this day and age.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:32 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,583,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
the reason is pretty simple imo...

There are more prospective students today than there ever were...

And, it's easier to apply to several colleges at once. Waay back in the late 90's when I was applying it was still done by hand. Now applications are only taken online and "user friendly."

Before you had to request the college catelogue, then receive the application packet in the mail and then fill it out.

Today I can just visit the school's website in a nano second, read the info and apply (or skip to the next one). A student can probably fill out 3 in an hour in this day and age.
That might be the case for some, but that definitely wasn't the case for me and my fellow classmates. The sending applications online makes the process quicker for sure, but as a result, many schools require long and involved "supplements" to the regular application (like those on Common App, Apply Texas, etc.). I had to write 10 or so essays for applying to four universities.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:06 PM

Agreed. Applications are not as "cookie cutter" as they may seem with the common apps. Not to mention, more attention needs to go into submissions due to the immense rise of applications across the board and higher competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities