Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times

Advertisements

Well, there's the general question of "college as the best years of your life" and the specific circumstance the OP is going through.

To answer the general question... college was a hell of a time. Parents were still picking up most of the expenses but weren't there to supervise me... it was the best of both worlds. But once was enough. After college, it was time to move on and become an adult. I certainly don't yearn to once again be the person I was or live the life I lived at 19 through 22.

To address the OP's specific concerns... yeah, college is supposed to be a good time provided you're a reasonably well-adjusted individual. It sounds to me like your problems have nothing to do with college, which is simply the backdrop to a life that's riddled with God knows what sort of issues. Resolve those issues and college probably won't suck anymore. Neglect those issues, and the next phase of your life will almost certainly suck as much as your current phase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
I liked college (and LOVED grad school), but the years since then have been pretty good, too. I don't think there is any one period in life that is the "best" for any one person. Sounds like you (the OP) have had a rough time of it lately; that doesn't mean that your life won't turn around and be absolutely fabulous in the future. In fact I have several old friends who also hit what turned out to be a very hard rock bottom in college, took the time they needed to recover, and are now very happy. And remember that there is no one standard college experience, so don't be afraid that somehow you're missing out on something that everyone else is enjoying. There is no reason not to expect that there will be many wonderful years ahead of you, and plenty of opportunity for exciting adventures. I even know one person who took off for the peace corp after she retired. At 19 you are still young and have lots of time in front of you. Do whatever you need to do to get yourself into a better place, and just try to ignore those who talk about college being the "best" years of life. For some people they are, for some they aren't. I'm guessing that for most people they probably are not.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:31 PM

55 posts, read 100,295 times
Wjat did u major in grad school urban?

Old 05-07-2011, 08:31 AM

311 posts, read 843,842 times
No Offense...

you need psychological help instead of asking on a forum, "is college the best years of my life"...and to be totally HONEST...I almost didn't even get the chance TO go to college and though it wasn't the "best", I valued it because college would help me get out of the situation I was in (severe poverty, being around bad influences, etc)...Yeah, I was TIRED, yeah I was DEPRESSED, yeah I hated having so many responsibilities at such a young age, but i HAD to get over it because I was blessed beyond belief to even have the opportunity to go to college.

There are millions of students in America and around the world who would KILL to be in college right now but can't because of financial reasons or having to take care of "grown up" responsibilities at a far-too young age and you're wanting to kill yourself over it? Either drop out and let someone else have your space or get some THERAPY and really try to fix whatever is mentally wrong with you...There are tons of mental-health resources on campus for students and if not, ask around at local hospitals or start a support group...If not, you're gonna end up in the REAL WORLD which is alot tougher than college and wind up at the same place and possibly end up trying to kill yourself again....

Old 05-07-2011, 09:11 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
They say that these years, these college years, are supposed to be the best years of my life. Well, sadly, if that is true, I would rather be dead than to keep on existing.

I hate it when people say, "Oh you have your whole life ahead of you! You will never have more opportunities and freedom than you will in college. These are the BEST years of your life."

To be honest, these past seven/eight months have been horrible, including a serious suicidal attempt, twice being put in a hospital and a "safe place", and my whole world has just fallen apart. At this point, I'm only existing, not living, and my life is so unfulfilling and pointless.

Please, tell me, to all those who have gone to college and have lived quite longer than me (I've been around for awhile: 19 years) and had that "traditional" college going experience: was college the best years of your life? If not, do you find your post-grad life to be a happier, more fulfilling time for you?

Thanks in advance!
College was the WORST time of my life. I wasn't too crazy about high school when I was still in high school but college made me miss the blissfulness of high school. I HATED college. I too get depressed and angry because most people seem to look back on it as the best time of their lives and are always talking about how great it was. Unfortunately when I graduated college, this recession thing happened so it didn't get much better. I am now just kind of existing, trying to figure out what to do with my life, if its not too late. I will say had it not have been for the recession, my miserable existence during college would have paid off. I was making more than my parents coming out of college but now I am working a dead-end job barely scraping by.

If I were you, if you are that miserable in college, I would look at other options. Skilled labor is in demand right now, because ironically this recession is hitting the college educated the hardest. There is also the option of the armed forces.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:25 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
No Offense...

you need psychological help instead of asking on a forum, "is college the best years of my life"...and to be totally HONEST...I almost didn't even get the chance TO go to college and though it wasn't the "best", I valued it because college would help me get out of the situation I was in (severe poverty, being around bad influences, etc)...Yeah, I was TIRED, yeah I was DEPRESSED, yeah I hated having so many responsibilities at such a young age, but i HAD to get over it because I was blessed beyond belief to even have the opportunity to go to college.

There are millions of students in America and around the world who would KILL to be in college right now but can't because of financial reasons or having to take care of "grown up" responsibilities at a far-too young age and you're wanting to kill yourself over it? Either drop out and let someone else have your space or get some THERAPY and really try to fix whatever is mentally wrong with you...There are tons of mental-health resources on campus for students and if not, ask around at local hospitals or start a support group...If not, you're gonna end up in the REAL WORLD which is alot tougher than college and wind up at the same place and possibly end up trying to kill yourself again....

^^^^^^No offense but poverty isn't a worse problem than severe depression. Severe depression isn't something you can just get over because you HAVE to. He's certainly not whining because he has a potentially lethal level of mental illness that makes it impossible to use his great fortune of being in college. It's also not his job to worry about the millions who would kill to be in his place so why throw in that self serving red herring? If you wanna help the dude help him, if not why bother responding?

I absolutely agree that you should get help from a counselor. No, college is not the end all be all. What you are going through is very common and many of the people drinking every weekend or every night feel the same things but cover it up in alcoholism, drug abuse, and/or sexual acting out. Their way of expressing it is cheered on by society, that's all.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
^^^^^^No offense but poverty isn't a worse problem than severe depression. Severe depression isn't something you can just get over because you HAVE to. He's certainly not whining because he has a potentially lethal level of mental illness that makes it impossible to use his great fortune of being in college. It's also not his job to worry about the millions who would kill to be in his place so why throw in that self serving red herring? If you wanna help the dude help him, if not why bother responding?

I absolutely agree that you should get help from a counselor. No, college is not the end all be all. What you are going through is very common and many of the people drinking every weekend or every night feel the same things but cover it up in alcoholism, drug abuse, and/or sexual acting out. Their way of expressing it is cheered on by society, that's all.

Eh, I think you should get a hold of yourself and stop trying to play the "captain save a poster" card and stop trying to downplay severe poverty just because I told him to get help............. Depression you CAN get over, that's why there are therapists etc to HELP and people you can meet IN PERSON to talk to....not random people on a site who have not a clue what the poster is going through or talking about.............Those PROFESSIONAL resources are available so people don't make posts on city-data talking about killing themselves over college.......

I helped by basically responding and saying he needs psychological help so what was so wrong about it? Do you want me to coddle him or her and tell him this: "OMG, i've been through it toooo, omg well don't kill yourself and have a good day even though I'll never ever meet you ever in life, young lad/girl!!"

If he/she can't deal with college he/she won't have a chance in the real world so it's time for him/her to wake-up and get some REAL help and advice that's not online.....Besides, realizing how BLESSED you are is far better than rolling around in your own mental garbage and something I had to realize in my OWN situation......................I mean even if the OP killed themselves today, nothing you said obviously made a difference and it's basically gonna be up to the OP anyways to take charge of their own mental health because they were put on this planet for a specific purpose.............AKA not waddling around in self-loathing.........And to be TOTALLY HONEST, I wish my mom would've told me this but :

"Basically, noone in the real world cares"...Heck, I've seen people get fired for having "mental depression" sooo he/she better seek help now and get a grip with PROFESSIONAL HELP before it's too late....We live in a Westernized society where we raise kids up as doing "anything and everything" they can set their lil' hearts to doing with no "negative issues to deal with ever" , but when things happen especially in a place like college where they are FINALLY out on their own, our kids can't cope at all....HECK, I ESPECIALLY COULDNT AFTER THE RECESSION hit and getting a job after graduation was pretty much impossible...things happen and you either try to survive, throw out the denial, and get help or you flounder....that's all *shrugs*

Last edited by GaBison2007; 05-07-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 05-07-2011, 10:49 AM

Besides final note;;;; most times alot of people have depression because they just are disappointed with the way their lives went...trying to measure up to others..

I mean @ the OP-Evaluate why you are TRULY depressed and stop comparing yourself to others...they aren't you and think of the rest of the world as being "suckers' compared to you, including me lol....If you think the world doesn't care...oK? And? What are you gonna do with that piece of information??...If the world doesn't care, then why are you concerned?? If the world doesn't care then do whatever the heck you want to do without hurting yourself or others...Go overseas, volunteer, write a book, etc etc............Why should you go through pain just because of other's BS??....That's what I do and I feel all the better for it each day! Some people think I'm a hard a** or a b**ch but it's helped me really survive, thrive, and cope in this world. I determine my own happiness not others' societal views + life is too short to be miserable

Old 05-07-2011, 10:56 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
Besides final note;;;; most times alot of people have depression because they just are disappointed with the way their lives went...trying to measure up to others..
What report did you get that dubious statistic from? Are you in the mental health field? I've been a counselor and know first hand that being a little blue is miles away from clinical depression. Do a bit of research on the chemical changes that take place in the brain turning a victim's mental state to a crippling destructive state. It's like saying to a kid having an asthma attack "you're just excited, go walk it off".

Old 05-07-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
What report did you get that dubious statistic from? Are you in the mental health field? I've been a counselor and know first hand that being a little blue is miles away from clinical depression. Do a bit of research on the chemical changes that take place in the brain turning a victim's mental state to a crippling destructive state. It's like saying to a kid having an asthma attack "you're just excited, go walk it off".

Lol OK, "counselor" Have you pm'ed this kid yet and gave her resources to actually go to?? or posted something online? Or maybe asked some more in-depth questions instead of just saying "oh everyone goes through it" and putting a sterile face and going on your happy way? Or does it make you feel better to coddle and argue stupid forum points that I didn't even say was a fact. I just said it offhanded due to my experiences so sorry for saying "most". Nowhere did I say "oh and I got this from the NY Times" ...but if that "most" makes someone question their life, well I apologize...I guess?

Anyways, why are you being childish and trying to "make a point" when AGAIN the original point that NEEDS to be honed in is this for the OP...THE OP NEEDS TO SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP....Just because we said it in different ways doesn't mean a dang thing. Therefore, I'm soooo not understanding the hostility sooo I'll just agree to agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities