Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:53 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Fastest way I heard of was a one weekend workshop for jungle dentistry.
Steve Saint - Watch Steve Saint Videos and Clips | VideoSurf Video Search

ITEC - I-Dent

For your particular situation that would raise a few barriers, but KIDS are very resilient and international experiences are wonderful. (Kids are well liked and very much a benefit to travel / live with in MOST countries (not USA)).
This would not make you a dentist,
to become a dentist in the US, you need to go to a accredited school and pass the exams. currently there is not school outside of the US which is accredited. So they need to go to a US school.
Going to ITEC or any other would be a waste of money and time.

Quote:
Thus for a good education for you and kids, another option is to move to Singapore and get schooling there (and kids get GREAT education for free). You will need to update certs when coming back to USA to practice, but I doubt you would want to. Kids will be able to get a free full ride scholarship to a USA Ivy League College, as they will have perfect test scores, know a few languages and be able to proficiently play the piano (A requirement to pass grade level 5)
Again, no school in singapore is going to give you a valid diploma.

Quote:
Option #3 would be to offer your services to a Native American tribe / reservation or other under-served region. You will get free school and need to give 5-7 yrs payback in an under-served region.
You need to be a dentist first...Go to service so that they pay for your loans.

Quote:
#4 could be military. (or VA system) They make very special arrangements for medical personnel. My sis has done several programs paid 100% (including per diem for living expenses). Her kids attended lots of classes with her. BUT getting a gig at a Base overseas and using Dept of Defense schools (for kids) is another great option
Getting into the military doesn't equal to getting to dentistry.
If that would be true everybody in the military would lawyers and doctors.
You need to be a dentist prior, which most doctors and dentist in the military were prior before signing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 01:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
you dont need the 4 year degree.. Most dental schools like medical school would take you with the 90 premed credit, which it can be done in 2 years, but more likely 3 years.
Then 4 years of dental school then 1 year of residency.
Please provide a link to substantiate that!

Old 06-03-2011, 11:21 PM

143 posts, read 377,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
you dont need the 4 year degree.. Most dental schools like medical school would take you with the 90 premed credit, which it can be done in 2 years, but more likely 3 years.
Then 4 years of dental school then 1 year of residency.
For medical schools, that is incorrect. The 90 college credit is typically reserved for students in exceptional cases, or for the BS/MD combined 7 year program that matriculating freshmen/sophomore students can apply for at certain universities. Depending on the requirement of the program (typically a certain GPA of the science cores or a major), the student can "skip" the last year of college and go straight to med school. Otherwise, a bachelor's degree is required prior to matriculation for med school.

I would suggest flipping through a current issue of MSAR (Medical School Admission Requirements) published by AAMC (Association of American Medical Colleges). It has matriculation data for all allopathic medical schools.

I'm pretty sure the bachelor requirement is also the majority for dental schools. Not not having a bachelors degree is a small minority in most competitive professional programs. I'd wager the candidate has to show exceptional aptitude and a very compelling reason for not completing college to be accepted.

There is not many shortcuts to becoming a doctor. I would suggest the OP sit down with a pre-dental advisor and look over what they need to accomplish to apply for dental school. I would also suggest reading through the forums at student doctor dot net.

Last edited by phylogeny; 06-03-2011 at 11:30 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 01:29 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
If speed is the goal, I'd recommend becoming a dental hygienist. I believe it's generally only a 2 year program and the pay is quite good (I just looked, and it's much higher than I ever would have thought).

There isn't really a quick way to become a dentist. It's a 8+ year process. And that's assuming that you can finish your undergrad in 4 years (most science majors I've know have taken a bit longer than that, due to the challenging nature of the courses).

Old 06-04-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
If speed is the goal, I'd recommend becoming a dental hygienist. I believe it's generally only a 2 year program and the pay is quite good (I just looked, and it's much higher than I ever would have thought).

There isn't really a quick way to become a dentist. It's a 8+ year process. And that's assuming that you can finish your undergrad in 4 years (most science majors I've know have taken a bit longer than that, due to the challenging nature of the courses).
A dental hygienist is not a dentist. Dental hygiene is a good way to get into the dental field, if that is the desire.

Dental Hygienists

Old 06-04-2011, 12:12 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
I know it's not a dentist. I just believe it's a good alternative for someone who wants to get to work quickly and can't spare the traditional 8+ years.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I know it's not a dentist. I just believe it's a good alternative for someone who wants to get to work quickly and can't spare the traditional 8+ years.
Yes, I'm just making sure the OP knows this. Nor will a dental hygiene degree get you into dental school w/o taking some additional classes.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:22 PM

301 posts, read 1,327,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A dental hygienist is not a dentist. Dental hygiene is a good way to get into the dental field, if that is the desire.

Dental Hygienists
Dental hygiene is good money assuming you can find work. The problem is that there's a massive surplus of dental hygienists! Good luck getting hired by a dental office when you're competing with a massive amount of recent graduates in this field with more graduates being pumped out by the dozens every few months.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please provide a link to substantiate that!
what do you want me substantiate??
The 90 credits??
here you go
Do I need a bachelor’s degree for admission into the DDS program?A. The Committee on Dental Recruitment and Admissions strongly encourages applicants to earn a bachelor’s degree prior to dental school matriculation. However, applicants who have successfully completed at least three academic years (90 credit hours) in an accredited university may be considered for admission. No more than 60 of the minimum required credits will be accepted from a community college or junior college. Furthermore, these credits must have been validated (i.e., accepted for transfer credit) by an accredited college of arts and sciences.

http://www.dental.umaryland.edu/admissions/dds/FAQ

Same goes for medical school, my wife is a doctor and only did the premed 90 credits, she never graduated, a lot of doctors dont have a bachelors degree just the 90 credits.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylogeny View Post
For medical schools, that is incorrect. The 90 college credit is typically reserved for students in exceptional cases, or for the BS/MD combined 7 year program that matriculating freshmen/sophomore students can apply for at certain universities. Depending on the requirement of the program (typically a certain GPA of the science cores or a major), the student can "skip" the last year of college and go straight to med school. Otherwise, a bachelor's degree is required prior to matriculation for med school.

I would suggest flipping through a current issue of MSAR (Medical School Admission Requirements) published by AAMC (Association of American Medical Colleges). It has matriculation data for all allopathic medical schools.

I'm pretty sure the bachelor requirement is also the majority for dental schools. Not not having a bachelors degree is a small minority in most competitive professional programs. I'd wager the candidate has to show exceptional aptitude and a very compelling reason for not completing college to be accepted.

There is not many shortcuts to becoming a doctor. I would suggest the OP sit down with a pre-dental advisor and look over what they need to accomplish to apply for dental school. I would also suggest reading through the forums at student doctor dot net.
Sorry you are wrong....
Just see the link,,,
Plenty and I mean plenty of doctors and dentist only have the 90 credit premed.
Check the link I provided...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities