Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:36 PM

593 posts, read 1,318,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am well aware of this. I still think it can be done, if that's the goal. The lab classes can be taken during the school year, and some other classes in the summer if you have such an objection to people taking lab courses in the summer. If these classes didn't work, they wouldn't be offered.
Usually the labs goes with the class, you cant divide them.
biology has its own lab.
For example (at least in my univ.), when you register for biology, zoology, botany, etc it comes with lab, you cant take the class without the lab and you cant take the lab without the class.
This is because the labs goes hand in hand with classes, when you study a subject, that subject would be the subject on the labs.

Again, it can be done, but I really doubt that many study do this compared to other degrees. I said it is unlikely, not impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 02:43 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
You know, you are arguing as if I have no idea what goes on at college. I meant the non-lab courses, you know, English, history, math, whatever, could be taken in the summer if you think it's too hard to take lab science courses in the summer. The fact that they are offered, and people take them, says to me it's NOT too hard to do. Both of my daughters majored in biology. One took a bunch of summer courses.

http://www.colorado.edu/summer/downloads/SS_2011_catalog.pdf (broken link)

See biochemistry, chemistry, integative physiology, molecular biology and physics. Also pictures of women in skimpy summer attire.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-17-2011 at 02:57 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 06:15 PM

593 posts, read 1,318,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, you are arguing as if I have no idea what goes on at college. I meant the non-lab courses, you know, English, history, math, whatever, could be taken in the summer if you think it's too hard to take lab science courses in the summer. The fact that they are offered, and people take them, says to me it's NOT too hard to do. Both of my daughters majored in biology. One took a bunch of summer courses.

http://www.colorado.edu/summer/downloads/SS_2011_catalog.pdf (broken link)

See biochemistry, chemistry, integative physiology, molecular biology and physics. Also pictures of women in skimpy summer attire.
Again, I never said that you cant, I said it difficult to do a BS in 2.5 or 3 years.
I did chemistry I and II on the summer, they were like 6 hours classes plus lab..

Old 06-17-2011, 08:32 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
Since the OP is already 26, she might prefer going to school in summers instead of taking a break, anyway. There sure aren't many summer jobs out there right now. Even if she graduated just a semester early, that's a help.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:42 PM

310 posts, read 1,358,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
Sorry you are wrong....
Just see the link,,,
Plenty and I mean plenty of doctors and dentist only have the 90 credit premed.
Check the link I provided...
This is very helpful information, thanks.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:49 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,005,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
Again, I never said that you cant, I said it difficult to do a BS in 2.5 or 3 years.
I did chemistry I and II on the summer, they were like 6 hours classes plus lab..
I had TA who did his BS in 3 years. He took a year break and is now a second year med student at Baylor.

BUT he was able to do that because in high school and the summer before college he did a lot of basic classes (math, English, art, speech, etc) so when he finally started that fall all he really needed to do was focus on his bio major and the additional required science classes needed (chemistry, physics, etc).

Old 08-24-2011, 08:27 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,631,549 times
To the OP - are you willing and able to live anywhere? there are undergraduate programs with articulation agreements with dental and medical schools. What this means is you may leave the undergrad program after 3 years and enter dental school.

After a year of dental school, your undergraduate degree is awarded.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,631,549 times
They also may accept you with a set GPA that may be more lenient than those of colleges not involved with the agreement.
Look into Ramapo College in NJ
Philadelphia University
I think they both have agreements with dental schools.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:51 AM

1 posts, read 971 times
Default Steps towards your future

Kiwifruit2

Because of your situation, my advice is to work towards your dream job (pediatric dentist) in steps.
Aside from these steps making the plan possible, you will gain valuable experience, decent money, and learn if dentistry is really the career field for you. In choosing your first step, I would recommend going as high as you can.

First step, choose Dental Assisting or Dental Hygienist.
There are good schools in both Akron, OH and Nashville, TN

Dental assistants are typically responsible for the following tasks:
- Working closely with patients before, during and after procedures
- Assisting the dentist during a variety of treatment procedures
- Taking and developing x-rays
- Preparing and sterilizing instruments and equipment
- Taking impressions of patients' teeth for study casts (models of teeth)
- Teaching patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies
- Performing office management
Degree you'll need to practice: Certificate or diploma (usually takes about 12 months)
Median annual salary: $33,470 (~$22,000 entry level, ~$46,000 for the top 10% earners with several years of experience and living in expensive cities).
While this salary is much lower than that of a Dental Hygienist, employers usually provide better benefits to Assistants.

Dental Hygienists perform some or all of the duties of a Dental Assistant, but also perform the following types of tasks:
- Collecting information about the patient's oral and medical health history
- Removing calculus, stains and plaque (hard and soft deposits) from all surfaces of the teeth
- Making molds of patients' teeth used for evaluating treatment
- Charting patients' dental conditions for the dentist
- Applying fluorides and decay preventatives
- Administering local anesthetics
- Removing sutures and dressings
Degree you'll need: Associate's degree or bachelor's degree in dental hygiene (most start with an associate's which you can complete in about 2 years).
Median annual salary: $68,250 (~$44,000 entry level with top earners over $91,000).
While the pay is considerably better, the training is twice as long, you'll need to obtain national certifications, and you'll likely not receive as many benefits.
By the way, Dental Hygienists are continually ranked in the top 5 career fields for professions that require 2 years or less of education.

Most of these schools offer in-house financial assistance and you can also apply for grants. Grants, unlike loans, do NOT need to be paid back. One of the most commonly awarded is the Pell Grant.
There are also special scholarships for single mothers. I recommend going to the library and asking for assistance on researching grants you may qualify for. I know that sounds dated, but remember, Librarians have a Masters in Library Science and are paid to research and mine for data.

Good luck and if you need more help, please reply to this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities