Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:52 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylogeny View Post
For medical schools, that is incorrect. The 90 college credit is typically reserved for students in exceptional cases, or for the BS/MD combined 7 year program that matriculating freshmen/sophomore students can apply for at certain universities. Depending on the requirement of the program (typically a certain GPA of the science cores or a major), the student can "skip" the last year of college and go straight to med school. Otherwise, a bachelor's degree is required prior to matriculation for med school.

I would suggest flipping through a current issue of MSAR (Medical School Admission Requirements) published by AAMC (Association of American Medical Colleges). It has matriculation data for all allopathic medical schools.

I'm pretty sure the bachelor requirement is also the majority for dental schools. Not not having a bachelors degree is a small minority in most competitive professional programs. I'd wager the candidate has to show exceptional aptitude and a very compelling reason for not completing college to be accepted.

There is not many shortcuts to becoming a doctor. I would suggest the OP sit down with a pre-dental advisor and look over what they need to accomplish to apply for dental school. I would also suggest reading through the forums at student doctor dot net.
I am sorry but you are wrong.. really wrong...
My wife is a MD and only did the 90 credits. so did a bunch of people in her class.

Here is more info on dentistry...

About 90% of the students in recent classes have had have baccalaureate degrees or higher. Nationally, 85% of first year dental students have completed four years of pre-professional education.

this means that 15% give or take, go to dentist school with only the 90 credits.
source:
Dentistry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 07:58 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post

Fastest way to become a dentist?

,,,Of all the careers there are I am most interested in being a dentist, specifically a pediatric dentist eventually. I know it takes a lot of years, so I was just wondering if anyone knew of any accelerated programs? I live in Akron, Ohio right now, but we are considering moving to Nashville, Tennessee, so if there are any accelerated programs for this type of profession in these 2 states that would be great.,,,
Wow, this is what I would look for when choosing a dentist, someone looking for the short cuts in education. Maybe they can make me their first victim/patient.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 PM

143 posts, read 378,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
I am sorry but you are wrong.. really wrong...
My wife is a MD and only did the 90 credits. so did a bunch of people in her class.
I don't know when your wife graduated but when I applied to medical school, which was fairly recent, I had checked out the MSAR stats, which contains the educational statistics for every allopathic medical school in the country as published by the American Association of Medical Colleges.

It shows that 90 credits matriculation is a rarity, even with schools that has the BS/MD program. The edition I have is for 2006, so it is collected from the 2005/2006 cycle. I have no doubt the 90 credit requirement was used more in the past, but that is not currently the admissions criterion for US MD schools.

I know the 90 credits is applicable to medical schools outside of the country but most MD schools in the US no longer allow for the 90 credits to matriculate.

This isn't some intellectual snobbery. I understand the rest of the world follows a six year med school model and they create excellent physicians. However, our US model currently do not support that.

For someone currently applying to med school, it is simply bad advice to tell them to apply with 90 credits. That is like telling someone who received a D in organic chemistry to apply. Is it possible to be accepted? Technically, yes if they received credit for that course. There is nothing in the guidelines that say otherwise. But is it plausible they will get in? Almost no chance.

In my medical school class, I have yet to meet one student that matriculated with 90 credits, and I attend one of the largest medical schools in the country. Now, there may be a few in the class...but my experience tells me that would be a rarity.

I have also spoken with a multitude of admission officers during the application process and they have invariably told me the 90 credits is intended mostly for for their BS/MD students, with some "exceptional" candidates thrown in. Ok, I can concede perhaps your wife was an exceptional candidate. But that does not make it common.

I don't know when or where you wife attended med school, but the current situation in American MD schools is that a bachelors is virtually required for matriculation.

Last edited by phylogeny; 06-13-2011 at 10:42 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I don't know when your wife graduated but when I applied to medical school, which was fairly recent, I had checked out the MSAR stats, which contains the educational statistics for every allopathic medical school in the country as published by the American Association of Medical Colleges.

It shows that 90 credits matriculation is a rarity, even with schools that has the BS/MD program. The edition I have is for 2006, so it is collected from the 2005/2006 cycle. I have no doubt the 90 credit requirement was used more in the past, but that is not currently the admissions criterion for US MD schools.

I know the 90 credits is applicable to medical schools outside of the country but most MD schools in the US no longer allow for the 90 credits to matriculate.

This isn't some intellectual snobbery. I understand the rest of the world follows a six year med school model and they create excellent physicians. However, our US model currently do not support that.

For someone currently applying to med school, it is simply bad advice to tell them to apply with 90 credits. That is like telling someone who received a D in organic chemistry to apply. Is it possible to be accepted? Technically, yes if they received credit for that course. There is nothing in the guidelines that say otherwise. But is it plausible they will get in? Almost no chance.

In my medical school class, I have yet to meet one student that matriculated with 90 credits, and I attend one of the largest medical schools in the country. Now, there may be a few in the class...but my experience tells me that would be a rarity.

I have also spoken with a multitude of admission officers during the application process and they have invariably told me the 90 credits is intended mostly for for their BS/MD students, with some "exceptional" candidates thrown in. Ok, I can concede perhaps your wife was an exceptional candidate. But that does not make it common.

I don't know when or where you wife attended med school, but the current situation in American MD schools is that a bachelors is virtually required for matriculation.
I just posted a link from a university that state that 85% has a bachelors while 15% dont have one...
She graduated 4 years ago...
I never said it was the norm, 10 to 15% is not the norm, but again, is it a requirement no, you can cut a whole year and go to med school.
Like plenty of people have done.
you have good grades from a good school with a great MCAT score, and you will get calls.
My wife, got calls after her MCAT score came out public, INCLUDING university that in their webpage say they require a bachelors degree, and ask her to join the school. She decided to go to NYU with only 96 credits.
Plenty of school allow you with only 90 credit, even the ones like NYU that say they dont.
But others school publicly say they do...

Minimum Credit Requirement
Our minimum requirement of 90 credits must be 90 university-transferable credits taken at a post-secondary institution. AP or IB credits cannot count towards the 90 minimum credits.
UBC Faculty of Medicine - MD Undergraduate Admissions - Admissions Requirements

The minimum requirement for entering the Indiana University School of Medicine is 90 credit hours, excluding physical education and ROTC courses. Any major from the traditional arts and sciences curriculum is acceptable. Applications of students with educational backgrounds in other fields will be evaluated based on a minimum of 90 credit hours (three academic years) of college course work of arts and sciences equivalence.
Premedical Coursework - Health Professions and Prelaw Center - Indiana University - University Division

A small example of a really large list of medical school that minimum requirement is 90 credits.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:31 PM

143 posts, read 378,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
I just posted a link from a university that state that 85% has a bachelors while 15% dont have one...
She graduated 4 years ago...
I never said it was the norm, 10 to 15% is not the norm, but again, is it a requirement no, you can cut a whole year and go to med school.
Like plenty of people have done.
you have good grades from a good school with a great MCAT score, and you will get calls.
My wife, got calls after her MCAT score came out public, INCLUDING university that in their webpage say they require a bachelors degree, and ask her to join the school. She decided to go to NYU with only 96 credits.
Plenty of school allow you with only 90 credit, even the ones like NYU that say they dont.
But others school publicly say they do...

Minimum Credit Requirement
Our minimum requirement of 90 credits must be 90 university-transferable credits taken at a post-secondary institution. AP or IB credits cannot count towards the 90 minimum credits.
UBC Faculty of Medicine - MD Undergraduate Admissions - Admissions Requirements

The minimum requirement for entering the Indiana University School of Medicine is 90 credit hours, excluding physical education and ROTC courses. Any major from the traditional arts and sciences curriculum is acceptable. Applications of students with educational backgrounds in other fields will be evaluated based on a minimum of 90 credit hours (three academic years) of college course work of arts and sciences equivalence.
Premedical Coursework - Health Professions and Prelaw Center - Indiana University - University Division

A small example of a really large list of medical school that minimum requirement is 90 credits.
I don't see a link stating any medical school where 15% of the matriculants did not graduate college. I only see it regarding a dental school. The two have different application processes.

I am mostly referring to US MD schools, I honestly know little of dental or Canadian schools to say one way or another.

As for Indiana University where school states acceptance with a minimal of 90 credits, MSAR publishes that 98% of Indian University School of Medicine matriculants have a baccalaureate degree. 2% is a pretty low number.

As for NYU, MSAR states that 94% of their matriculants have a baccalaureate degree---6% of the school population did only three years of college coursework.

I do not know if schools "secretly" let people in without a bachelor's degree, but med schools appear to publish stats indicating this population a single digit rarity.

I'd point out that most med schools also have no definitive GPA line that disqualifies you from applying to their schools.....yet those with a science GPA below 2.5 will invariably not be accepted. Minimal requirements are just that....a clear line that states schools will not look at you regardless of your other accomplishments. It doesn't mean schools will accept those who meet the minimal criteria.

Congrats that your wife's score was so high. I'd wager she got a hefty scholarship given her MCAT was so high. My med school gives full scholarships to those applicants with "numbers they like".

Last edited by phylogeny; 06-14-2011 at 10:37 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 09:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Back when I was in college (late 60s/early 70s) it was well known that one could get into dental school with three years of college, but one needed a BA/BS to get into med school. As time moves on, the requirements have only gotten stricter. I recall reading about the PA (physician's assistant) program at the U of CO. While 90 credits of undergrad are required, their own website says that most admitted students far exceed the minimum qualifications. My point is that it is unlikely one can get into dental school w/o a bachelor's degree.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:25 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
It's big gamble to do pre med for 3 years and not be accepted to med school. Better to just work on your degree. still only required if schools says so.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I don't see a link stating any medical school where 15% of the matriculants did not graduate college. I only see it regarding a dental school. The two have different application processes.

I am mostly referring to US MD schools, I honestly know little of dental or Canadian schools to say one way or another.

As for Indiana University where school states acceptance with a minimal of 90 credits, MSAR publishes that 98% of Indian University School of Medicine matriculants have a baccalaureate degree. 2% is a pretty low number.
then is not like you said, people do get in without.
and if you go to New York for residency (which almost 50% of all medical student end up in NY for residency) you will see plenty of US and especially FMG without a BS.

Quote:
As for NYU, MSAR states that 94% of their matriculants have a baccalaureate degree---6% of the school population did only three years of college coursework.
So there you go, 90 credits is what you need.

Quote:
I do not know if schools "secretly" let people in without a bachelor's degree, but med schools appear to publish stats indicating this population a single digit rarity.
never said secretly, what I said, was that some schools say on their webpage that a degree is required, but in fact do admit students without.

Quote:
I'd point out that most med schools also have no definitive GPA line that disqualifies you from applying to their schools.....yet those with a science GPA below 2.5 will invariably not be accepted. Minimal requirements are just that....a clear line that states schools will not look at you regardless of your other accomplishments. It doesn't mean schools will accept those who meet the minimal criteria.
Same goes that if you have a great MCAT score and a great GPA, the minimal requirements might not apply to you.
many school that required a degree offered my wife admission without it..

Quote:
Congrats that your wife's score was so high. I'd wager she got a hefty scholarship given her MCAT was so high. My med school gives full scholarships to those applicants with "numbers they like".
she got partial scholarships,

Old 06-15-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
It's big gamble to do pre med for 3 years and not be accepted to med school. Better to just work on your degree. still only required if schools says so.
When you get the 90 credits you apply and take the MCAT, that doesnt mean you are finished with college..
If you didnt get admitted then you continue with your biology or premed degree...
But you should try with 90 credits and then try again next year with the diploma.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:10 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
You need a BA/BS, with the appropriate pre-med/science courses, to get admission to a dental/medical school...this 90-credit -only garbage is ridiculous..

There is no "fast" way to gain admission to medical/dental school; if the OP wants to consider a career in dental hygiene, that's an entirely different matter, and, it should be pointed out, will not get you any closer to med/dental school admission..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities