Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:02 PM

1,120 posts, read 1,215,189 times

Advertisements

Seriously, this dude has a PhD with no publications?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 05:24 PM

5 posts, read 8,061 times
csbjornstad,

I am a student at the UOP and it is interesting to see what so many people think about something they have never done. A degree is what you do with it, not where it came from. Yes I do agree that Yale and all of those big schools would be great but I am older and this was a good choice for me. Everyone says for profit schools are expensive so is milk but I still by that too. All of my books are included and if you compare what I have spent in school compared to my 23 year old brother who did go to a brick & morter school for 6 years it's a fraction of what he spent.

Everyone says "Oh, it's a degree mill & that's all." In a way thats true it gets me the degree I am looking for with no fluff and it's quick, I need the degree before I retire (laughing).

I have had amazing instructors that hold some pretty amazing jobs and have a lot to teach. There are good and bad apples in every basket and I think that in time people will think no less of a degree that came from a for-profit.

P.S. I work my butt of for my grades and no it's not easy. What I will be able to offer to an employer is a current degree and 15 years of work experience, if that's not good enough then I probably don't want to work there anyway.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:05 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,535,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeeNormal View Post
csbjornstad,

I am a student at the UOP and it is interesting to see what so many people think about something they have never done. A degree is what you do with it, not where it came from. Yes I do agree that Yale and all of those big schools would be great but I am older and this was a good choice for me. Everyone says for profit schools are expensive so is milk but I still by that too. All of my books are included and if you compare what I have spent in school compared to my 23 year old brother who did go to a brick & morter school for 6 years it's a fraction of what he spent.

Everyone says "Oh, it's a degree mill & that's all." In a way thats true it gets me the degree I am looking for with no fluff and it's quick, I need the degree before I retire (laughing).

I have had amazing instructors that hold some pretty amazing jobs and have a lot to teach. There are good and bad apples in every basket and I think that in time people will think no less of a degree that came from a for-profit.

P.S. I work my butt of for my grades and no it's not easy. What I will be able to offer to an employer is a current degree and 15 years of work experience, if that's not good enough then I probably don't want to work there anyway.
No one is saying you can't overspend at a traditional school like it sounds like your relative did. For someone older like yourself who seems like they are just looking to have a degree towards the end of your career a for profit probably isn't a horrible move assuming you are not spending more than 20k.

It's quite another thing to get a masters or phd when you are young from a for profit as you are pretty much stuck with working at a for profit as no four year university is going to hire you to teach.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:20 PM

I am trying to understand why people are so against the idea of for-profit - It sounds more like personal hatred than anything else. People keep saying "No one would ever hire a........!!!" Sounds like a lot of assumptions to me.

I have my suspitions that statement is just not true.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I am trying to understand why people are so against the idea of for-profit - It sounds more like personal hatred than anything else. People keep saying "No one would ever hire a........!!!" Sounds like a lot of assumptions to me.

I have my suspitions that statement is just not true.
Just a lot of facts due to acceptance requirements/cost/graduation rate/loan repayment/job placement. They offer nothing you can't get somewhere else for a lot less money and of higher quality.

Quite interesting you found this post for your first one. Sounds like someone might have found another ID to give them some "backup"

Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,380,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
When you are set up like yourself already in a job a for profit can make sense. The main question would be is your job paying for it? If not couldn't you have went somewhere else cheaper?
Well, DeVry makes sense for me, in my situation. It may, or may not, make sense for someone else.

For me, I HAVE to do online. I cannot go to a class three times a week, per each course that I am taking that quarter/semester. My job schedule is varied to be able to commit time for that. Plus, living in the Chicago area, there are not a lot of commuter schools here (like Wright State was, back in Dayton). So, it is just not easy to go to school in the Chicago area, unless you are able to go full-time and not have to work...unless you are willing to go part-time, and take forever to finish school.

So, for me, yes DeVry works, and like I mentioned, I do know that it is not as prestigious as a Harvard/Yale/Oxford, or even UIC, OSU, Wright State, etc. The online aspect offers me the flexibility I need, to complete my degree, so that my skillset is upgraded enough to compete in the job market. I could care less, now, about the campus experience, the football games, the frats, etc. I am 38 years old, and have 12 years experience in my field. But, I need the actual degree to stay competitive. For me, DeVry is just a stepping stone to get to Grad school.

There is a lot of confusion about what DeVry is. Yes, they are for-profit. A lot of people confuse them with ITT Technical Institute. DeVry does offer a good education, both campus-based on and online-based. But, like I said in previous posts, they do not offer the frat and football game type campus experience. DeVry's main thing is providing an education and a degree to degree-seekers, so that they can participate in the job market, with a marketable skill set. Sure, some universities may have more motivated students, or students who performed better in high school, etc. And yes, some may have better professors; maybe not. I know for sure, that I am getting a good education, as I am actively learning the trade that I am studying for. The textbook and the online lecture is pretty much the same thing as I would get at, for instance, UIC.

The MAIN difference between deVry, and the traditional schools, is that the state-run schools are mainly RESEARCH FACILITIES that then also instruction to degree-seekers. Whereas, DeVry is mainly a TEACHING FACILITY; there is no research done there (that I am aware of). It is a VENDOR.

And, as I mentioned above, I do think that DeVry is a good school with a good product; if not, then I would not see so many large employers on-campus, trying to recruit students for future employment.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Just a lot of facts due to acceptance requirements/cost/graduation rate/loan repayment/job placement. They offer nothing you can't get somewhere else for a lot less money and of higher quality.

Quite interesting you found this post for your first one. Sounds like someone might have found another ID to give them some "backup"
Gatornation,

I'm in a focus group and this is part of it. We are trying to understand people like you........ You really are taking this all very personally, this is just a discussion, right?

Now you are making remarks about my username... I use it because it's funny (Young Frankenstein) why so mean......?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Well, DeVry makes sense for me, in my situation. It may, or may not, make sense for someone else.

For me, I HAVE to do online. I cannot go to a class three times a week, per each course that I am taking that quarter/semester. My job schedule is varied to be able to commit time for that. Plus, living in the Chicago area, there are not a lot of commuter schools here (like Wright State was, back in Dayton). So, it is just not easy to go to school in the Chicago area, unless you are able to go full-time and not have to work...unless you are willing to go part-time, and take forever to finish school.

So, for me, yes DeVry works, and like I mentioned, I do know that it is not as prestigious as a Harvard/Yale/Oxford, or even UIC, OSU, Wright State, etc. The online aspect offers me the flexibility I need, to complete my degree, so that my skillset is upgraded enough to compete in the job market. I could care less, now, about the campus experience, the football games, the frats, etc. I am 38 years old, and have 12 years experience in my field. But, I need the actual degree to stay competitive. For me, DeVry is just a stepping stone to get to Grad school.

There is a lot of confusion about what DeVry is. Yes, they are for-profit. A lot of people confuse them with ITT Technical Institute. DeVry does offer a good education, both campus-based on and online-based. But, like I said in previous posts, they do not offer the frat and football game type campus experience. DeVry's main thing is providing an education and a degree to degree-seekers, so that they can participate in the job market, with a marketable skill set. Sure, some universities may have more motivated students, or students who performed better in high school, etc. And yes, some may have better professors; maybe not. I know for sure, that I am getting a good education, as I am actively learning the trade that I am studying for. The textbook and the online lecture is pretty much the same thing as I would get at, for instance, UIC.

The MAIN difference between deVry, and the traditional schools, is that the state-run schools are mainly RESEARCH FACILITIES that then also instruction to degree-seekers. Whereas, DeVry is mainly a TEACHING FACILITY; there is no research done there (that I am aware of). It is a VENDOR.

And, as I mentioned above, I do think that DeVry is a good school with a good product; if not, then I would not see so many large employers on-campus, trying to recruit students for future employment.
I agree SmartGXL,

Seems to me UTI also has the same good reputation and many recruiters there as well. I think in the future people won't have such a negative reaction to for-profits.

Best of Luck to you at Devry, Good choice.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:14 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,173,598 times
So you're a plant? You know you don't see Georgia tech making usernames to protect there bad names on Internet forums.

For profits need to get accreitted, stop milkin the gov for billions and pumping out thousands of people with worhless degrees. Degrees employers look at and say, this is just a piece of paper because they don't recognize the so called education the school provided.

There are bench marks however for that, and for profits fall far short of them.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Gatornation,

I'm in a focus group and this is part of it. We are trying to understand people like you........ You really are taking this all very personally, this is just a discussion, right?

Now you are making remarks about my username... I use it because it's funny (Young Frankenstein) why so mean......?
You probably could have posted a couple other places first to make it a bit more legit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities