Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:22 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,942,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
Do me a favor. Stop pretending you know me and can read my mind. I told you what the hell I was thinking and if you don't like or believe it that's your prerogative but cut the wannabe mind-reader crap.
For MANY people, making 6 or 7 figures is enough to buy their silence. It's enough to make them tow the party line so to speak so they can keep getting those checks. Everyone doesn't make the same money and everyone does not have a price BUT enough do to keep schools raising their rates far faster than inflation and waaay beyond a level that most people find reasonable.
I'm not trying to read your mind or pretending I know you. I'm reading your comments and responding to them accordingly. Your train of thought is quite obvious, and it's clear that you have an ax to grind. That's fine, and there certainly is plenty to be upset about re: college tuition rates. You're just making your point obliquely and quite foolishly. Getting pretty defensive, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 12:44 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,942,069 times
By the way, just to recap, since I think you deserve a full response.

You start a thread posting the salaries of professors at UNC-Chapel Hill, one of the elite public universities in this country, and state that

Quote:
They want YOU to keep shelling out tens of thousands for their wisdom.
Then, when people start responding to you, you say

Quote:
This isn't about whether they deserve the money it's a question of whether they have empathy with their students taking on outrageous debt. Those at the top of the food chain may not want to risk it by telling these kids the cold hard facts about the crazy debt many are taking on.
THEN, when I respond by saying that not only have you shifted the subject (something other people in the thread are pointing out as well) and that many professors are well aware of the cost of college and speak to their students about debt and what it means, since they themselves have likely gone through the same thing, you go on a rant about how I'm trying to read your mind.

Sorry you don't like getting called out, especially since I share some of your concerns, but in reality it seems like you're getting bent out of shape because you're making a flimsy argument and people are seeing through it.

There are plenty of corrupt, complacent professors who are happy to make their money and let students hang themselves via debt, but most are not so callous (at least not in my experience), and complaining about professor salaries does not get at the root of the problem in my opinion.

You have little to say about the reorganization of academic departments, the accelerating corporatization of the university, declining tenure rates, the rising use of adjuncts, etc. There are even wider systemic problems with regard to higher education, and as someone who studies access to higher education and works with an organization hoping to make it more affordable for achieving students, posts like yours leave a bad taste in my mouth. I know you won't like this post, but don't worry, I won't bother responding to you again.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,135,928 times
FYI: I talked to my adviser today.

She's Tenure track, you CAN get tenure with just a masters at universities, and she IS going after her PHD (But doesn't have to to get/be considered for tenure)

Old 06-27-2011, 09:29 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,337,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
My advisor doesn't even stay past noon
They're not in their offices. Therefore, they must be at home sipping daiquiris.

Is it possible that maybe they're taking their work home with them?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,530,006 times
Quote:

She's Tenure track, you CAN get tenure with just a masters at universities, and she IS going after her PHD (But doesn't have to to get/be considered for tenure)
A masters and teaching emergency management on tenure track? She might be the luckiest person in the world. She is by far the exception as most researchers and professors at far superior schools with their PHD's can't even get tenure track anymore.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,135,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
They're not in their offices. Therefore, they must be at home sipping daiquiris.

Is it possible that maybe they're taking their work home with them?

Actually home playing with her 3 year old and nursing a baby bunny her husband found.

I BELIEVE I have mentioned that I'm a nontraditional student, so my relationships with my Profs is slightly different.

I've also got a background in a field (My First career) relating to my new one.
So they have been known to ask my advice, solicit my input etc.

It also helps I'm sure that I'm older than my adviser.

No. they do NOT take that much work home.
(Someone who did, unless we are talking English essays, or something similar... isn't smart enough to be teaching, not with scantron and all)

Gatornation:
Not so much.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,530,006 times
Quote:
Actually home playing with her 3 year old and nursing a baby bunny her husband found.

I BELIEVE I have mentioned that I'm a nontraditional student, so my relationships with my Profs is slightly different.

I've also got a background in a field (My First career) relating to my new one.
So they have been known to ask my advice, solicit my input etc.

It also helps I'm sure that I'm older than my adviser.

No. they do NOT take that much work home.
(Someone who did, unless we are talking English essays, or something similar... isn't smart enough to be teaching, not with scantron and all)

Gatornation:
Not so much.
This is yet another example of someone thinking their personal experience is how it works in most instances.

You have been a bit vague as to what school this is actually at. It's sounding more like a for-profit.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:03 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,175,795 times
Quote:

If your adviser can obtain tenure working 5 hours a day then more power to her.

If she can obtain grants, get 15-20 peer reviewed journal articles in top tier journals, and teach/prep her classes in 25 hours a week, she sounds like a super hero.

(Note: This is the workload of a normal tenure track professor).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities