Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,977,270 times

Advertisements

I would definitely choose the Big Ten school, especially if you're in-state. Big Ten schools primarily have great reputations in terms of academic prowess. Baker College credits don't always transfer well either, so I'd look into that. This is coming from someone who actually looked into Baker about ten years ago when they were advertising themselves as an "express" institution, meaning you could get your degree in half the time as a traditional college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 01:11 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,160,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I would definitely choose the Big Ten school, especially if you're in-state. Big Ten schools primarily have great reputations in terms of academic prowess. Baker College credits don't always transfer well either, so I'd look into that. This is coming from someone who actually looked into Baker about ten years ago when they were advertising themselves as an "express" institution, meaning you could get your degree in half the time as a traditional college.
Thanks for your comments. Do you think the Big Ten School status applies to all the campuses? I apologize for my ignorance but from what I am reading the South Bend campus is not getting high marks from students. That is why I was concerned. I already started a thread a while back in the Indiana forum hoping someone that went there could give me feedback but no one ever replied.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Thanks for your comments. Do you think the Big Ten School status applies to all the campuses? I apologize for my ignorance but from what I am reading the South Bend campus is not getting high marks from students. That is why I was concerned. I already started a thread a while back in the Indiana forum hoping someone that went there could give me feedback but no one ever replied.
Does this campus have the same admissions standards as the main campus?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:35 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,530,006 times
Quote:
Does this campus have the same admissions standards as the main campus?
I assume it works like the UNC system. If that is the case they are technically all their own schools tied to one system.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I assume it works like the UNC system. If that is the case they are technically all their own schools tied to one system.
That's what I'm thinking. I went to Michigan's main campus, but they had two satellite campuses in Flint and Dearborn that had their own admissions practices. I think they were typically more lax.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:44 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,942,069 times
Just FYI, IU-South Bend is not a Big Ten school. Simply calling it Indiana University is tantamount to calling University of Wisconsin-Whitewater the University of Wisconsin. I know it seems like nitpicking, but employers and even laypeople differentiate.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Just FYI, IU-South Bend is not a Big Ten school. Simply calling it Indiana University is tantamount to calling University of Wisconsin-Whitewater the University of Wisconsin. I know it seems like nitpicking, but employers and even laypeople differentiate.
I agree.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:07 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,776,352 times
I would do IU,for the reasons mentioned. Name recognition, an alumni network, and networking on campus.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:59 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,540,851 times
First let me congratulate you on your decision to return to school! I think obtaining an associate degree first was a good choice for you because it was a more managable goal. And you did it!

Everyone has heard of IU - especially the Bloomington campus, and if you were competing in a market such as Chicago LA or NY, name recognition would be important. Does Baker have any reputation - good or bad in Indiana? Is this the only college that offers an online degree in your field?

From reading what you wrote, it seems that you are not thrilled with the prospect of attending IU -and for some pretty good reasons. It will take another year, the nieghborhood is not safe and parking is difficult. Also you mentioned a Math requirement. Math can be a formidable obstacle for returning student. And my guess is that it's not your favorite subject.

I have never heard of Baker, but if it has your major and suits your needs it might not be a bad choice.
Also, have you looked into other online colleges? If there are none with similar programs, then from what you have told me, I would chose Baker.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:11 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,160,359 times
Quote:
That's what I'm thinking. I went to Michigan's main campus, but they had two satellite campuses in Flint and Dearborn that had their own admissions practices. I think they were typically more lax.
I grew up not to far from the U of M-Dearborn campus. I believe that campus did not have the same strict standards as Ann Arbor. I knew a few that went to Henry Ford Community College and then went on to U of M-Dearborn (they are next door to each other) because it was easier, credits transferred etc. My thoughts were that IU-South Bend was along the same lines (also a commuter campus). The acceptance rate at IU-South Bend is 80% as well as IU-bloomington. Is that kind of high? I live close to Notre Dame and I believe their acceptance rate is around 20% (ok not that I would dream of going to ND but was noticing the difference).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities