Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:54 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,195,992 times

Advertisements

I am an older student that completed my associates degree last year from a private college. In hindsight I should have went for my bachelors but with family obligations and work I found myself starting and stopping school far too many times. Completing my Associates seemed to be a more feasible goal. I relocated and not finding many opportunities with just an Associates, especially focused in design. I graduated with a business degree and my major was Graphic design. The jobs in my area require at least a Bachelors degree and now that I have been doing a little freelancing from home, I am finding I am not really liking it as much as I thought I would. I am seriously considering going back for my Bachelors in Marketing. I enjoyed those courses most when I was in school. So now I am considering going back to the college I graduated from or attending a University by my home. The price difference is not much. Here are the pros and cons I have come up with so far but I would like some opinions for those that know more about how to compare than I do. Unfortunately I don't know anyone that could guide me. If I ask either school, they will tell me what I want to hear.

Baker College
I attended one of their campuses for the first year and the completed my degree via their online program. They are only located in MI. They are HLC and NCA accreditation. I can use my design courses as flex studies and major in Marketing. I can complete my Bachelors with them in about a year and half.

Pros-I can finish online. It's flexible and if I find a job I won't have to worry about trying to manage the two schedule wise. They accept quite a few credits that can be applied toward the Marketing program. To complete my degree would take me roughly a year and half.

Cons-Not many people have heard of the college. Because they advertise themselves as a "career college" many assume it is a For Profit school.

-worried I might not learn enough. I have had confidence issues with my design work because the school did not focus enough on the print science. The focus was more on the business aspect.

Indiana University
Same accreditation as Baker. They are also HLC and NCA. They offer both a bachelors in graphic design and Marketing. The problem I have is if I go for graphic design it is an art degree and nothing else will transfer. If I go for marketing, my design classes wont transfer. They did tell me to come down and speak with them in person so we could go over my transcripts. They did warn me that they do not accept math credits from hardly any school. Even if I had come from one of the local community colleges they have the same policy.

Pros-Employers know Indiana University. It is local college and I could meet people. Since relocating here I haven't really made any friends.

Cons-Parking is horrible. I went to meet with a counselor and couldnt find a place to park missing my appt time. The parking issue makes the news every yr because the college can't find a immediate solution.

-I struggle with math and taking those classes over again does not appeal to me.

-It would take me 3 yrs to complete my degree. My credits at this point would only knock a year off my schooling no matter which area I choose.

-It's located in a bad neighborhood.

I know I have more cons with IU but I can't get past the fact that I dont want employers not knowing what Baker is or thinking it is a for profit school. Some say the school doesnt matter and some say yes it does.

Opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 AM

738 posts, read 2,963,359 times
I'd suggest requesting a copy of the career placement surveys from each college's graphic design department over the past few years.

I'd imagine that IU would have much wider alumni network and career services to help you with finding a suitable job, but check to see if they have any information on what salaries and percentage of students they've helped find jobs over their past few years. With graphic design, you may find that Baker yields pretty comparable placement results to ease your fears with them, or you may find that it's worth the extra time and money for IU based on opportunities they can afford you after finishing.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,297,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I am an older student that completed my associates degree last year from a private college. In hindsight I should have went for my bachelors but with family obligations and work I found myself starting and stopping school far too many times. Completing my Associates seemed to be a more feasible goal. I relocated and not finding many opportunities with just an Associates, especially focused in design. I graduated with a business degree and my major was Graphic design. The jobs in my area require at least a Bachelors degree and now that I have been doing a little freelancing from home, I am finding I am not really liking it as much as I thought I would. I am seriously considering going back for my Bachelors in Marketing. I enjoyed those courses most when I was in school. So now I am considering going back to the college I graduated from or attending a University by my home. The price difference is not much. Here are the pros and cons I have come up with so far but I would like some opinions for those that know more about how to compare than I do. Unfortunately I don't know anyone that could guide me. If I ask either school, they will tell me what I want to hear.

Baker College
I attended one of their campuses for the first year and the completed my degree via their online program. They are only located in MI. They are HLC and NCA accreditation. I can use my design courses as flex studies and major in Marketing. I can complete my Bachelors with them in about a year and half.

Pros-I can finish online. It's flexible and if I find a job I won't have to worry about trying to manage the two schedule wise. They accept quite a few credits that can be applied toward the Marketing program. To complete my degree would take me roughly a year and half.

Cons-Not many people have heard of the college. Because they advertise themselves as a "career college" many assume it is a For Profit school.

-worried I might not learn enough. I have had confidence issues with my design work because the school did not focus enough on the print science. The focus was more on the business aspect.

Indiana University
Same accreditation as Baker. They are also HLC and NCA. They offer both a bachelors in graphic design and Marketing. The problem I have is if I go for graphic design it is an art degree and nothing else will transfer. If I go for marketing, my design classes wont transfer. They did tell me to come down and speak with them in person so we could go over my transcripts. They did warn me that they do not accept math credits from hardly any school. Even if I had come from one of the local community colleges they have the same policy.

Pros-Employers know Indiana University. It is local college and I could meet people. Since relocating here I haven't really made any friends.

Cons-Parking is horrible. I went to meet with a counselor and couldnt find a place to park missing my appt time. The parking issue makes the news every yr because the college can't find a immediate solution.

-I struggle with math and taking those classes over again does not appeal to me.

-It would take me 3 yrs to complete my degree. My credits at this point would only knock a year off my schooling no matter which area I choose.

I know I have more cons with IU but I can't get past the fact that I dont want employers not knowing what Baker is or thinking it is a for profit school. Some say the school doesnt matter and some say yes it does.

Opinions.
If that's the same Indiana University as in IU Bloomington then I'd definitely pick Indiana. It's just a better school.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
If that's the same Indiana University as in IU Bloomington then I'd definitely pick Indiana. It's just a better school.
No, its not the Bloomington campus. That would have been a no brainer. Sorry I should have specified. It is a satellite/sister (whatever term it might be called) campus in South Bend.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:08 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,985,134 times
Quote:
No, its not the Bloomington campus. That would have been a no brainer. Sorry I should have specified. It is a satellite/sister (whatever term it might be called) campus in South Bend.
I need some clarification. Is Indiana University in any way linked to the University of Indiana, or is it a private for-profit?

Old 06-15-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I need some clarification. Is Indiana University in any way linked to the University of Indiana, or is it a private for-profit?
As far as I know there is no University of Indiana. The correct name Indiana University. Main campus is in Bloomington. Then there are smaller campuses around the state. The one closest to me is in South Bend. I have been reading reviews from students and the comments are mixed. Overall they give the campus a grade C- due to parking issues, lack of instruction and services. So this is why I am wondering if its worth it for the name.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:57 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,490,541 times
Quote:

Baker College

Indiana University

Opinions.
As one who has marketed himself in the white collar job market for seven years and interviewed others for jobs, I can tell you that the school absolutely does make a big difference - maybe it shouldn't, but it does. I would go with IU hands down...and I would inquire about the possibility of transferring to their Bloomington campus down the road. People in the region know the quality of education at IU; taking the easier way is not necessarily what is in your best interest for future marketability.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
As one who has marketed himself in the white collar job market for seven years and interviewed others for jobs, I can tell you that the school absolutely does make a big difference - maybe it shouldn't, but it does. I would go with IU hands down...and I would inquire about the possibility of transferring to their Bloomington campus down the road. People in the region know the quality of education at IU; taking the easier way is not necessarily what is in your best interest for future marketability.
Thanks for your thoughts. I haven't made a decision yet mainly because if I add more loans I could be paying on them until Im 60. That doesn't appeal to me but everywhere I look everyone wants a bachelors. There is no way I will be moving to Bloomington. I own a house and have a family. My husband has a good job and in his line of work that doesn't come easy. I just wasn't so sure about IU South Bend due to the reviews and the added time I would invest there. Meh...decisions....decisions.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:14 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,546,318 times
What is the exact cost difference? Assuming it's part of the IU University system that is the obvious choice over a for profit.

What are the entrance requirements?

Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
What is the exact cost difference? Assuming it's part of the IU University system that is the obvious choice over a for profit.

What are the entrance requirements?
IU 195.00 a credit hour. Baker 205. IU charges for extras. Neither is a for profit. This is exactly why I am concerned about continuing there because I am amazed at how many just assume that it is, just like you have, even though I have stated it is not in my original post. Nothing against you, just one of my concerns.

In terms of entrance requirements. Both campuses have an easy acceptance rate. Baker is probably easier out of the two for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities