Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:53 PM

18,156 posts, read 25,380,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
That's not fantasy land. My alma mater (Michigan) is one of 22 public Div1 schools that have a 100% financially self sufficient athletic department... i.e. they generate enough revenue from tickets/media/donations to cover all of their expenses.
22 should be about 0.1% of universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 04:11 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,454,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
22 should be about 0.1% of universities.
Actually around 10%... 22 of 228 public div 1 schools. And I imagine a good chunk of the other 200+ D1 atheltic departments rely on little state/federal/university funding.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:38 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,376,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
GPA's are being heavily used as hiring metrics / criteria in the O&G industry.
As is the network developed while going to these top colleges

I work for a major PEC player in Houston and have worked for the other big ones also. ALL engineering companies recruit at the major Universities in Texas.
Out of the roughly 50 engineers I work with, ALL are from major Universities w/high GPA's.

Our dept head is an Aggie, guess where most of our engineers are graduates from ?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:11 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,805,666 times
Local schools, Texas and Houston should do more to network with executives of big companies. We're still recruiting a great deal from Purdue, Duke, MIT and some Rice, but NOT enough from Texas.... There is only so much that I can influence... But I know we have very talented kids in Texas which are not considered due to luck of network and exposure. And that's the school job After all it is a very competitive market....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
As is the network developed while going to these top colleges

I work for a major PEC player in Houston and have worked for the other big ones also. ALL engineering companies recruit at the major Universities in Texas.
Out of the roughly 50 engineers I work with, ALL are from major Universities w/high GPA's.

Our dept head is an Aggie, guess where most of our engineers are graduates from ?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:56 PM

43 posts, read 83,996 times
I have 15K worth of loans to pay back. Went to a fairly expensive private University on the East Coast and had both an athletic scholarship (lacrosse) and academic scholarships to help pay. My parents helped out a little, and the rest I was responsible for.

I have a degree in Business/Finance and graduated in May. I got a job within 2 weeks of graduating making 48K + a 10K relo/signing bonus. It'll cost me about $500 to move, the rest (less taxes) of that 10K is mine to put in my pocket and do as I wish.

I think College is 100% worth every penny. Yes, it is expensive and overpriced. But now-a-days you have to do it.

The people in that article went and got graduate degrees from expensive schools (with no scholarships) in fields they know aren't going to pay well. What did they expect? If I knew that I was going to have to have 30K of loans each year I wouldn't have done it. It's not that I wouldn't have gone to college at all, but I would have chosen a different route that wouldn't have had such a financial burden on myself.

It's their own fault and I don't feel bad for them.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,454,987 times
I stopped reading the article after the very first guy. He went to Kettering (formerly General Motors Institute) which is an expensive private engineering college in Michigan. It's a good school, but doesn't rank higher than UMichigan's engineering program. Admission requirements are similar between the two. The difference is for a Michigan resident, UMichigan's tuition is less than half of Kettering's. To be frank, if you're having to take out loans to pay for college, then you'd have to be an idiot to go to the school that costs over twice as much yet doesn't offer a superior degree.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:42 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,615,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emirate25 View Post
Do you agree or disagree?

degree-not-worth-debt-cnnmoney: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/article/113010/degree-not-worth-debt-cnnmoney - broken link)
It depends on your options without a degree.

If you compare me to someone who took a job on an assembly line in a UAW plant the day I stared college, I never catch up BUT I didn't have the option of taking that UAW job. I was making minimum wage in a metal processing factory before I went to school or not much better than minimum wage waiting tables. Compared to that, my degree was worth the price. I recovered my cost and was a head of the game by the time I had 10 years into my engineering career. The rest is gravy.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:25 PM

180 posts, read 407,527 times
Not necessarily. The push to make all citizens college graduates is wrong. Not everyone has the interest or ability to succeed in college. Many dropout before getting a degree. Others spend 5-6 years instead of just 4 years to get a degree. The net value to society is marginal. More people should be going into the trades. We need qualified electricians and plumbers instead of more college graduates. Besides they can earn more money while enjoying the freedom of owning a small business. They are contributing members of society producing real wealth.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:36 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,792,980 times
I'm all in favor of education for everyone. It benefits the nation. A plumber who knows about Shakespeare and took AP Physics will probably be a little smarter and heck, may be a BETTER plumber than Joe the Plumber who eats his bag of donuts while watching Jerry Springer.

The problem is the rising cost of tuition. I call it Education Inflation. It still has the effect of keeping the elites who can afford it in business while keeping the poors out (I should know, I chose a SUNY over Cornell, Brandeis and Rochester with a small scholarship because I couldn't stand the thought of taking out over $50k in loans). those who aren't winning the grant or scholarship games are forced to choose between cheaper community colleges or local public colleges.

Another comment posted above mentioned law schools. Law schools right now are a scam. Most lawyers don't make 6 figure salaries (I sure don't even though I'm in the private sector and graduated from a decent law school), and the average law school grad owes 80-200k in loans. Most entry level jobs in law (outside of big firms) pay 35-60k which is a pitiful salary when u factor in loan repayment. So it's not all peaches and roses for lawyers either!

Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,434,895 times
Default Disagree

I think everyone should try to get into the most challenging school that they can get into depending on their circumstances, whatever the cost. The intrinsic value of meeting such a challenge and succeeding is absolutely priceless and will stand the test of time.

A degree doesn't guarantee a successful career. That depends on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities