Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:55 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,135,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Accepting them and counting them towards a degree program are two different things.

I'm taking a class at a community college (Online) because I'm taking more classes this summer than my school will let me. (Transfer credit)

The classes interchange... We were able (My adviser and I) to go onto the school's website and look for "Class 123 is equal to class ABC"... (Different schools call them different things, even though they correspond) at ALL state schools, CC or Regular.

As I said... this is becoming more common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,173,380 times
Quote:
Accepting them and counting them towards a degree program are two different things.
From the NJ agreement:

Quote:
Students transferring with an A.A. degree into a B.A. program or an A.S. degree into a B.S. program will have accepted for transfer exactly half of the credits required for the basic four-year degree and will have exactly half of the-credits to complete at the four-year institution. Such students will have Junior status upon enrollment at the four-year institution. [For example, at William Paterson, where the basic four-year degree is 128 credits, the transfer student's A.A. or A.S. degree will transfer in exactly 64 credits, and the student will have exactly 64 credits remaining to complete at William Paterson for the degree. At Montclair State, where the basic four-year degree is 120 credits, the transfer student's A.A. or A.S. degree will transfer in exactly 60 credits, and the student will have exactly 60 credits remaining to complete at Montclair State for the degree.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:06 PM

912 posts, read 1,333,173 times
There are many cheap ways to earn credit for the degree of your choice 100 grand plus is not smart.These people have no one to blame but themselves.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Yes, it is a generalization. And I will be the first to admit there will be exceptions.
But from both my own observations (Personal and others) as well as the overwhelming outcry from those who went 'the hard way'
Statistically... I'm right.

If you say so...
"Whatever it is" I don't see it outweighing the 'debt chain around your neck' (If you can do it without debt... go for it!

And that's why you would go to the school for the final 2 years! (When you've got some direction and experience ANYWAY...

Sometimes (Like my Recent geology class) Yes.
Often: No

That might be why they don't offer CLEP for that subject
And only for '13th and 14 grade subjects'
Math, Science, History, Social sciences etc...

I get more knowledge reading on my own.
(Sometimes... like in Sociology DESPITE the teacher)
I'm after the degree so I can drag down the 6 figure paycheck for a few years before I chunk the rat race.

Agreed. But ATTAINING that 'Residual income' took time.

Look, I understand residual income, AND the power of compound interest...
But in mutable ways (Establishment, and then pay off)

...Those take time.

Look, As I said:
You MAY be right... she could meet her lifelong pardner in her first Class at the more expensive school, or a proof. who inspires her to do "x"
HOWEVER... the odds are not for it.

The odds DO say she will (By spending the extra money) put a choker around her neck, and shackle a weight to her body which will drag her down for years to come.

In the absence of adequate data... play the odds.
There is a marketing CLEP: CLEP: Principles of Marketing

Hopefully you'll pull down a 6-figure salary for more than just a few years. Otherwise, college is pointless, financially.

There's NO way that I would have gotten the same experience by joining a 4-year college for the last two years. Actually the small 4 year college I went to in NJ offers an experience unmatched by majority of other schools and does NOT accept transfers from community college or CLEP credit (It's a small private school, so the statewide transfer agreement doesn't apply).

I wouldn't change a thing about the way I did things (or am doing things now for my MBA). To each their own... all I'm saying is that one should do what they want to do and not make decisions based on the price. Otherwise you're just a slave to money.

I don't understand why you bring up compound interest... but residual income takes a year or two to establish, yes... but like I said, that time is virtually 0 when you consider how long it gives you income.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,570,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
From the NJ agreement:
This is a 2 by 2. A specific agreement between community collges and 4 year institutions. You MUST take exactly the prescribed courses during the 2 years at the community college. You are not free to simply get an associates degree and expect that all credits will count towards the BA of your choice.

I got an associates in science before transferring to a four year university to get an engineering degree. There was a 2 by 2 but I didn't follow it. As a result, while they took all of my credits, I still had 3 years to go to get my BChE. I was given credit for creative writing but I still needed to take technical writing (the requirement for engineering majors), I got credit for my psychology courses but still needed to take two religion courses. I just graduated with a lot more than the required 144 credits for my program.

You can do it but you have to be careful. Not only must your classes transfer but they must also count towards your major. Getting an associates degree in english won't give you too many credits towards a BA in computer programming.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
This is a 2 by 2. A specific agreement between community collges and 4 year institutions. You MUST take exactly the prescribed courses during the 2 years at the community college. You are not free to simply get an associates degree and expect that all credits will count towards the BA of your choice.

I got an associates in science before transferring to a four year university to get an engineering degree. There was a 2 by 2 but I didn't follow it. As a result, while they took all of my credits, I still had 3 years to go to get my BChE. I was given credit for creative writing but I still needed to take technical writing (the requirement for engineering majors), I got credit for my psychology courses but still needed to take two religion courses. I just graduated with a lot more than the required 144 credits for my program.

You can do it but you have to be careful. Not only must your classes transfer but they must also count towards your major. Getting an associates degree in english won't give you too many credits towards a BA in computer programming.
The 2008 NJPC statewide agreement puts the responsibilities of seamless transition on the institutions and not the students. The 4-year college MUST award AA/AS degree holders exactly half the required credits for the BA/BS degree.

Did you do this in NJ after 2008? Everything here is strictly for NJ.

http://www.state.nj.us/highereducati...ementOct08.pdf

Old 07-18-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
The 2008 NJPC statewide agreement puts the responsibilities of seamless transition on the institutions and not the students. The 4-year college MUST award AA/AS degree holders exactly half the required credits for the BA/BS degree.

Did you do this in NJ after 2008? Everything here is strictly for NJ.

http://www.state.nj.us/highereducati...ementOct08.pdf
They are only going to do so if they are the right credits. For example, I couldn't get an associates in underwater basket weaving and apply the credits towards a bachelors in engineering. The two degrees have to match and the classes have to be the equivalent. I'm not sure who you'll go after if they're not in NJ (my guess is the community college) but you're still going to be stuck taking the right course to get the degree. They'd be watering down degrees big time if they just took credits without considering what they are for.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
They are only going to do so if they are the right credits. For example, I couldn't get an associates in underwater basket weaving and apply the credits towards a bachelors in engineering. The two degrees have to match.
Yes. The degrees have to match. If you have a AA in basket weaving, you'd be all set to get a BA in basket weaving by only having to complete 4 semesters or whatever. That sounds like a reasonable requirement.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Yes. The degrees have to match. If you have a AA in basket weaving, you'd be all set to get a BA in basket weaving by only having to complete 4 semesters or whatever. That sounds like a reasonable requirement.
Except for the fact that many students get an associates in one major and a bachelors in another. I hold an associates in science with a major in math and a BChE. There's no such think as an AChE. Now, I could have taken the right courses and finished in 4 years but I wouldn't have been able to get an actual associates degree. I would have just had 68 credits to transfer.

It's all good though. Getting my associates degree did something for me that high school didn't. It prepared me to go on to a four year university. It may have taken me a year longer but it was a year well spent.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:24 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,135,409 times
Quote:
There is a marketing CLEP: CLEP: Principles of Marketing
Interesting... that's not an option in my area.
Quote:
Hopefully you'll pull down a 6-figure salary for more than just a few years. Otherwise, college is pointless, financially.
I disagree. I don't WANT to 'pull it down' for longer than that. Hopefully by that time I will be well enough established to be able to become a consultant.... At that point ~$70K for 6 months work or less will be more than enough for my tastes.

There are things more important than money.

Quote:
There's NO way that I would have gotten the same experience by joining a 4-year college for the last two years.
You've mentioned this several times.

What did you get?

Quote:
Actually the small 4 year college I went to in NJ offers an experience unmatched by majority of other schools and does NOT accept transfers from community college or CLEP credit (It's a small private school, so the statewide transfer agreement doesn't apply).
Quote:
I wouldn't change a thing about the way I did things (or am doing things now for my MBA). To each their own... all I'm saying is that one should do what they want to do and not make decisions based on the price. Otherwise you're just a slave to money.
Following that advice... you WILL be a slave to money... as in... "The borrower is the slave to the lender"

Quote:
I don't understand why you bring up compound interest... but residual income takes a year or two to establish, yes... but like I said, that time is virtually 0 when you consider how long it gives you income.
There are too many variables to say that... I'll say what you outline is POSSIBLE, but not necessarily likely.

If you would like to provide supporting details, feel free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities