Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:00 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,226,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Interesting... that's not an option in my area.
Oh okay... I only knew about it because I worked at the college board for a few months.

Quote:
I disagree. I don't WANT to 'pull it down' for longer than that. Hopefully by that time I will be well enough established to be able to become a consultant.... At that point ~$70K for 6 months work or less will be more than enough for my tastes.

There are things more important than money.
Fair enough... that's an easy goal to meet. You'll be satisfied for sure.
Quote:

You've mentioned this several times.

What did you get?
Well, I'll start out by saying I actually got a computer science degree from my small 4 year school.

But what I really gained was in my freshman year I did research for one of my professors in benefit analysis and how it correlates to microeconomics theory (My school has a huge economics department). This set the foundation for the first business I started.

Later on, through that same professor, I met someone (an alumni) who I worked with me in setting another business.

None of this would have happened at a 2-year school...

And like I said, my school doesn't take transfers from 2-yr colleges (or even 4-year colleges for that matter).... so that wasn't really even an option and isn't for many other colleges as well.
Quote:

Following that advice... you WILL be a slave to money... as in... "The borrower is the slave to the lender"
But you can just pay the lender off. It comes back to money being an unlimited resource. Don't make decisions around unlimited resources.
Quote:

There are too many variables to say that... I'll say what you outline is POSSIBLE, but not necessarily likely.

If you would like to provide supporting details, feel free.
I now have 4 businesses: A consulting firm that I am mostly hands-off now; Two daycare franchises that I am mostly hands-off now; and a recruiting and staffing firm which is where I spend most of my time (20 hours/week).

And I'm not even 30 yet. I consider these to have residual properties. I'm working on my MBA part time as well... but that's really unrelated to all this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 04:30 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,197,711 times
The whole college thing is pretty simple:

1.) Take a course of study that has market value (technical, medical, specialized business, etc.)
2.) Attend a local university/college and live at home unless it is absolutely impossible to do so
3.) Pay as much out of pocket as you can

If you follow these 3 simple rules, your education will be worth the investment. Too many kids go into college with unreasonable expectations about college life and the result of their education. Too often I hear younger people talk about the college "experience." What seems to be forgotten is that it's about the education. Many, many of my friends treated it like a 4-year party. They all sign up for curriculum that accomodates that lifestyle (sports management, PE, etc.). 4-5 years later, all they have to show for it besides mounting debt are a few extra pounds, a few less brain cells, and a degree diploma not worth the paper it's printed on.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:48 AM

180 posts, read 407,546 times
Some do, some don't. What you have described is going to a vocational school to learn a trade. Instead of exposure to a variety of fields, such as Eng. Lit, Biology, etc., you want a one-dimensional trade that will enable you to earn money. That is fine. But please do not try to pass it off as a college education.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:50 AM

180 posts, read 407,546 times
"....then its somehow their fault when they crap out the 2nd semester..." Yes, it is their fault. No one else is to blame. Most students apparently find a way to do it. Stop making excuses for your kids

Old 07-19-2011, 07:27 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,309,695 times
4 year degree, I am making LESS than I did 6 years ago. All my siblings have high school diplomas and make nearly TWICE what I am??

My B.S is education--SpEd...

Old 07-19-2011, 08:31 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,607,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCavalier View Post
Some do, some don't. What you have described is going to a vocational school to learn a trade. Instead of exposure to a variety of fields, such as Eng. Lit, Biology, etc., you want a one-dimensional trade that will enable you to earn money. That is fine. But please do not try to pass it off as a college education.
IMO, those with a trade are just as important as those with degrees. I wish I had a trade along with my degrees. Those with a trade keep your car going and the repairs your homes and your workplace for that matter. There is not much difference between your medical doctor and your auto repairperson...both do bodywork on two very different things but BOTH diagnosis the problem, take it apart and put it back together; both get you up and going..to work, to recreational activities, to family. DON"T KNOCK THEM.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,148,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Oh okay... I only knew about it because I worked at the college board for a few months.
K

Quote:
Fair enough... that's an easy goal to meet. You'll be satisfied for sure.
Hope so.

Quote:
Well, I'll start out by saying I actually got a computer science degree from my small 4 year school.
Not anything specific to the 'path' you are pushing.

Quote:
But what I really gained was in my freshman year I did research for one of my professors in benefit analysis and how it correlates to microeconomics theory (My school has a huge economics department). This set the foundation for the first business I started.
This is a "Accident"
It could have happened (Different class, different Prof) your senior year, or not at all.
NOT grounds for recommending it to others.

Quote:
Later on, through that same professor, I met someone (an alumni) who I worked with me in setting another business.
Again, Happy accident.
Non repeatable,
Not grounds for pushing what your pushing.

Quote:
None of this would have happened at a 2-year school...
invalid statement

Quote:
And like I said, my school doesn't take transfers from 2-yr colleges (or even 4-year colleges for that matter).... so that wasn't really even an option and isn't for many other colleges as well.
"your school"
There are many, and nothing (Except accidental contacts which are NOT repeatable) are anything 'your school' has going for it.

Quote:
But you can just pay the lender off. It comes back to money being an unlimited resource. Don't make decisions around unlimited resources.
Yes. and it takes resources/time to GAIN that money to pay the lender off.

You seem like an intelligent guy.
You proclaim that it's not difficult for you to solve all the problems in advanced text books...

But you cannot reconcile all the people unable to find gainful employment with non-dischargable student loan debt!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!

Quote:
I now have 4 businesses: A consulting firm that I am mostly hands-off now; Two daycare franchises that I am mostly hands-off now; and a recruiting and staffing firm which is where I spend most of my time (20 hours/week).
And these have EVERYTHING To do with being an entrepuner, and NOTHING to do with computer science/your degree, or ANY valid reason to push a MORE expensive 4 year program over a less expensive "2 and 2" which gets you the SAME degree.

Quote:
And I'm not even 30 yet. I consider these to have residual properties. I'm working on my MBA part time as well... but that's really unrelated to all this.
Well, no point in delving into THAT.

In Summation:

I have provided clear financial reasons why NOT...
Coupled with having the SAME degree.

You have outlined anecdotal, non repeatable, non pertanant (to others) reasons to 'support' the added expense.

I miss anything?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:01 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,181,988 times
agreed most college degree's aren't worth it

Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,226,201 times
Quote:
K

I miss anything?
This isn't a political debate, you don't have to dissect every sentence like a 10 year old.

You're just trying to justify the way you did things to make it sound better than all the other options.

I haven't said a "2 and 2" is not adequate... but you seem to argue like I did. I've just been saying that students should do what they want to do. If they want to go to a 4-year college, go for it.

"2 and 2" doesn't work for many schools such as mine. So it was NOT an option without deciding to go to another 4-year school... and there aren't that many comparable options.

Wake up man ... not everything is about how you did it.

The relation between degree and debt is what you make it. It varies on what degree you get, what you do with it, how you get it and where you get it.

Last edited by NJBest; 07-19-2011 at 09:31 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 10:28 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,148,621 times
Quote:
This isn't a political debate, you don't have to dissect every sentence like a 10 year old.
I used to respond like this, and people complained... so I complied and started using the other method... Can't win!
You're just trying to justify the way you did things to make it sound better than all the other options.
To the contrary, I went to Ole Miss my first year of school.... I'm saying IT'S NOT WORTH DOING!

I haven't said a "2 and 2" is not adequate... but you seem to argue like I did. I've just been saying that students should do what they want to do. If they want to go to a 4-year college, go for it. I was saying that that is not wise advise (under most circumstances) due to the higher/unnecessary cost.

"2 and 2" doesn't work for many schools such as mine. So it was NOT an option without deciding to go to another 4-year school... and there aren't that many comparable options.For your degree... you had many options was my point. I was Genuinely curious as to what degree/bennies you had achieved that were (As you professed) not attainable through anything but 4 years at an expensive school.
Wanted to know is all.

Wake up man ... not everything is about how you did it.

The relation between degree and debt is what you make it. It varies on what degree you get, what you do with it, how you get it and where you get it.
I Certainly HOPE no one thinks I'm recommending:

Start school... Realize you don't want to be an officer...
Finish the year and enlist...

Spend some time in... get injured...

Have the Navy do some butchery... take some night classes when you can...

Get medically retired and go back to school.

Nope... Not pushing that path AT ALL!

-The relation (Excepting some VERY EXCEPTIONAL ones/schools)
is: Piece of paper: $

I did the OTHER way... looking back... I could of done it so much better and cheaper.

I'm just glad you taxpayers have paid for it, and not me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities