Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:38 PM

26,667 posts, read 28,921,854 times

Advertisements

One thing, there are loads or people getting ready to retire so anything to do with retirement would be lucrative. Retirement planning would probably be a good field and you would be helping people and working with them to make their lives better.

Do NOT just follow your interests. Those of us who are telling you this are not materialistic, we have just lived our lives and learned. I would have majored in art history, it is my passion. Instead I majored in education, which was okay, but later on I had the opportunity to take grad courses in art history!! I got a masters in library science and got to take an art history course as an elective. You will find a way to get your interests into your life. Sometimes it's better to keep them as interests rather than spoiling them by getting an unpleasant job that uses those interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 07:00 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,360,126 times
I always go with following your passion, since that usually leads to success. BUT I would never get a student loan for something that would not enable me to pay off the loan in a short time.

For example you want to major in sociology or something. Then work your way through school so you have no huge student loan debt when you graduate.

that isn't quite your question, but it is a consideration

Old 10-15-2011, 07:32 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,296,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilweezycarter82 View Post
Thank you for all of your advice, tell me more about the actual work accountants do, and what is some of the tedious things you will learn and must know to be successful in that position? I considered finance, because I love financial planning and budgeting. Love it, must say that, I believe I would work well as like a financial adviser or planner.

Let me know what you think. I've also read everyone's posts and have made some responses.
I sent a private message so I won't bore everyone else with nitty gritty details.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:50 PM

15,087 posts, read 13,500,955 times
You should pick a major based upon an interest in money.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 94,044,957 times
Major in something practical. You can always pursue other interests on the side. Who knows, you may get bored with those interests in which case had you majored in them not only would you have a low paying job, you'd also have a dull low paying job.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 AM

404 posts, read 1,151,318 times
I am a firm believer in "Do what you love, and never work a day in your life" I believe that is the true key to success, if you enjoy what you do then working hard is actually fun. BUT you have to be realistic about the steps you need to take towards those goals. I HIGHLY suggest looking up job listings. See the number of jobs actually hiring in your field of interest, see what they require, and make sure there is a big enough market for you. You dont want to jump into a field, graduate, and find out there are barely any jobs in your field.

My girlfriend had the same aspirations as you and majored in psychology. She wanted to eventually work for the FBI or CIA profiling criminals. She was lucky to land a job in her major at a facility for troubled kids. She learned that you need to have VERY THICK skin to work in that field. You work with truly crazy and unstable people. She had kids bigger than her try to fight her and other staff and she couldn't handle the unpredictability of working with truly crazy people. So she followed her passion into event planning and enjoys it very much.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,370,825 times
My suggestion? Follow your passion, but have some business coursework to back it up. Lots of unhappy forty-year-old accountants in the world.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:05 PM

7,031 posts, read 14,547,503 times
Make a graph.. put "salary" on the X-axis, "interest" on the Y-axis.

Plot every profession you can think of.

Pick the profession that's furthest out from (0,0)

Old 10-18-2011, 02:34 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,655,517 times
Do what you are interested in. Business degree is very popular so it doesn't guarantee anything unless you going to an Ivy League school and even then. You don't wanna spend time and money on learning something that will make your bored and miserable. I sacrificed a good money job just to do what I want cuz at the end it will still bring me more satisfaction and maybe even more money eventually, since this is what I do like, and I stay motivated in it.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,504,938 times
I think be practical, but follow your interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities