Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:40 PM

45,579 posts, read 60,945,454 times

Advertisements

It didn't matter when I applied as a factory laborer, it did when I was moved into management.

It mattered as a qualification for USN OCS/Flight School, as did your grades/scores in OCS.

It mattered when I applied for teaching jobs.

Had I followed up on becoming an administrator after that MS program my grades would have been a determining factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 07:25 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Mattered for first job after college.

Critical both for getting in to grad school and for getting a professor to agree to let you work with them.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:10 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,872,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
It depends on what position you're in.

If you're in Community College and plan on transferring then GPA is EXTREMELY important. GPA is also important if you plan on applying for scholarships.

Very few employers ask applicants about their GPA though. They ask how you're doing but rarely ask for a GPA (at least not in my opinion). As for people who are already in the University that they plan on graduating from. It would be beneficial to have a high GPA so you could put "Deans List" on your resume, which is just another little thing to give you slight edge in the job market. You may also lose your scholarships if your GPA dips below a certain level, if you originally had one.
Putting "Dean's List" is a good idea... after all, who asks which of the Dean's lists you were actually on anyway?

I've never been asked, and I never stressed my GPA in college. I did pretty well in school too.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,811 posts, read 58,359,620 times
When I did recruiting for a fortune 100, we could only interview the top 10% of top tier schools.

We could only extend offers to females .

Old 01-29-2012, 11:41 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,794,294 times
I do agree that it is rarely a dealbreaker, but I don't think it is good to flake off either. Do well in school, and by that I mean shoot for solid classes that add up to something and try to keep that GPA well above 3.00. Then work on other stuff.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:35 PM

471 posts, read 1,610,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike10 View Post
I, along with plenty of folks I know, were never asked for their GPA when accepting a job.

How about you?
Nope, never was asked.

Looking at GPAs would be an advantage when an employer is facing a set of evenly-matched candidates and needs a "tie breaker" or for certain critical jobs and fields where nothing but the best is needed or required i.e. CEO of a $10 billion corporation or the person at NASA who has his finger on the launch button but other than that, I have to agree with the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
.......You are either the right candidate or not...and I could rarely care less if you were a 4.0 or a 2.0. Are you experienced? motivated? Articulate? Team player? Proven?

Old 01-30-2012, 03:47 PM

230 posts, read 408,582 times
It only really matters if you are planning on moving on further with your education. Once you are in Grad school not so much.

After all you know what they call a doctor that graduates with a C average?

Doctor!!

Old 01-30-2012, 03:59 PM

3,957 posts, read 6,880,776 times
I had a 2.7, my roommate had a 3.7. Both from the same school and both are business majors. I have a solid career/job, he is unfortunately still working at a local hardware store.

I think GPA only matters if you trying to get the interview. Once you have the interview though, it doesn't matter one bit. I interview well which is why I have no problems finding a job. Him? Not so much.

I was never inherently smart, I tried hard in school and material was sometimes hard to learn. I am however, very social and very articulate. I have leadership qualities and a drive to win no matter what. I dont believe there is a direct correlation between your GPA and your work performance. However, its a start if your guessing blindly.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:42 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,484,407 times
Of course it oftentimes matters, especially when you're young and first starting out in the professional world

Old 01-31-2012, 03:32 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,242,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyOgre View Post
It only really matters if you are planning on moving on further with your education. Once you are in Grad school not so much.

After all you know what they call a doctor that graduates with a C average?

Doctor!!
Don't you think it would affect residency choice and placement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities