Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,464,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Don't you think it would affect residency choice and placement?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Most definitely.

We used to say "In every school (including med school), somebody has to graduate last in their class" .
The other one was "50% of the students are in the bottom half of their class".

At least in the medical and engineering fields, GPA tends to play a significant role (generalizing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 06:28 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,242,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Most definitely.

We used to say "In every school (including med school), somebody has to graduate last in their class" .
The other one was "50% of the students are in the bottom half of their class".

At least in the medical and engineering fields, GPA tends to play a significant role (generalizing).
Perhaps it doesn't generally matter when the major and first job doesn't matter.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 AM

30,707 posts, read 80,043,077 times
When I see a resume with no GPA on it, I assume that it is average or below. If you are right out of college I might be interested in your GPA, if you have experience, I care more about what your refrences and accomplishments say about you. Generally for the sitions that we hire non-professionals, I can get a good idea of whether you are intelligent, well educated and know what you are doing from an interview.

However if I have ten resumes that reflect a 3.5 gpa or above and ten that say nothing, I will interview the first ten.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:31 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,497,333 times
A friend of mine has been applying for jobs ( no experience, College graduate ) and they have never asked him for his GPA and he didn't put it on his resume. He said they were only looking at the degree and that was it.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:20 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,153,546 times
If you want to go to a high demand professional school like dental, medical, Top 15 Law, Top 20 MBA or even Pharmacy and Optometry school and earn six figures based on your merits and hard work, then GPA and standardized tests are the biggest factors.

If you want to go through the corporate meat grinder and earn six figures based on your ability to climb the ladder by sucking up, kissing a@@ and throwing your fellow employees under the bus, then yes ... GPA does not matter.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 AM

24,149 posts, read 32,644,420 times
Why is it ALWAYS about JOBS?
Actually, I did ask to see transcripts when I was in this position because so many applicants did not actually have the degrees that they said they did.
And when choosing, if all other factors were equal, yes I would choose the person without the "2 something" average.

Why spend four or more years in college just to eek out something like a "2.4" ???

Old 02-08-2012, 11:21 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,754,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Why is it ALWAYS about JOBS?
Actually, I did ask to see transcripts when I was in this position because so many applicants did not actually have the degrees that they said they did.
And when choosing, if all other factors were equal, yes I would choose the person without the "2 something" average.

Why spend four or more years in college just to eek out something like a "2.4" ???

Because the diploma and degree is all that matters. You might not start at the top but you can catch up and surpass your higher GPA peers within 5 years if you have the right qualities that aren't measured by a score based on tests.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:02 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,942,175 times
Never have been asked. Never will be.

In my profession, the rule is, if your asked what your GPA is, you don't want to work there.
Once you are licensed, it matters even less. WHERE you went to school still can matter, but usually only so much in the networking kinda way.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:08 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,942,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Because 2.0 is supposed to be average. Getting a 2.4 is supposed to mean you did better than ~60% of your classmates. The same number of students that get A's should get F's. The number of B's should equal the number of D's. The number of C's should be 2σ.
Or because your program graded stiffly.
Or your school graded harder than another school.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:39 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,242,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Because 2.0 is supposed to be average. Getting a 2.4 is supposed to mean you did better than ~60% of your classmates. The same number of students that get A's should get F's. The number of B's should equal the number of D's. The number of C's should be 2σ.
Or because your program graded stiffly.
Or your school graded harder than another school.
A gpa of 2.0 notes an individual who does not belong in college.

"The average GPA is 3.0 at public universities but 3.3 at private institutions, according to the results of a survey of 160 American colleges and universities."
Average GPA is 3.0 at public universities, 3.3 at private schools - The Daily Princetonian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities