Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:08 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,496,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Where do you rate 2.5GPA? Good, Bad or inbetween? The poster below you just said that the average GPA in his program was 2.7. Others in this thread have said they were satisfied with 2.5. That goes along with what I said.
2.0 is 70%. 2.5 is 75%. It's not 30%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 08:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
2.0 is 70%. 2.5 is 75%. It's not 30%.
That's one way to look at it, which is fair. I don't see what part of my post you're contesting. Are you suggesting that 75% is good or above average??

Old 02-11-2012, 08:21 PM

176 posts, read 351,423 times
Quote:
That's one way to look at it, which is fair. I don't see what part of my post you're contesting. Are you suggesting that 75% is good or above average??
Someone with a 2.0 (or near that), at least in recent years, had to take several classes over.

At many private colleges however, they drop (completely) the first try course from the record and substitute the second one; at public colleges, the failed or D courses usually stay on the record.

To get a sense of what GPAs use to be like back in the 1960s...

George W. Bush's GPA at Yale was 2.35
Al Gore's was 2.1 at Harvard

This article confirms these numbers. (Princeton average GPA was 2.52 in the 1950s, peaked at 3.35 in 2004 before deliberate deflation policy was enacted.)

GPAs only started going up a lot in the 1980s and particularly after late 90s.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:26 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,496,614 times
Quote:
75% is good. I have enough experiences with lots of Colleges and have seen enough crappy professors or grade inflation or stricter grading etc. I also know that a good chunk of the graduation classes of the so called "top" Colleges have average GPA's below 3.0.
Add to that that some people have to work, care for their children etc. and can't spend 24/7 on campus to study. Saying that people who graduated with a 2.5 GPA are lazy or whatever, is just presumptuous. I'm not surprised, though. I've read enough arrogant comments in this forum. And I've read enough comments where people have inflated their GPA's and schools on here.

Last edited by Glucorious; 02-11-2012 at 08:35 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times
Quote:
75% is good. I have enough experiences with lots of Colleges and have seen enough crappy professors or grade inflation or stricter grading etc. I also know that a good chunk of the graduation classes of the so called "top" Colleges have average GPA's below 3.0.
Add to that that some people have to work, care for their children etc. and can't spend 24/7 on campus to study. Saying that people who graduated with a 2.5 GPA are lazy or whatever, is just presumptuous. I'm not surprised, though. I've read enough arrogant comments in this forum. And I've read enough comments where people have inflated their GPA's and schools on here.
I put 2.7 at average. Thus 2.5 would be mediocre. Even df175 said average for his/her program was 2.7.

I never said they were lazy though. There's plenty of valid reasons which may result in any gpa from 0 to 4. A 1.2 (30%) wouldn't be mediocre... it would be poor.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:03 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,539,124 times
Quote:
They just performed pretty average academically. Could have had an job. Could have been lazy. Could have not been very intelligent. In the end for whatever the reason the end result was average.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:15 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,837,219 times
Quote:
You wouldn't know anything about that.
What? Differential equations? Nope.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:16 AM

632 posts, read 1,182,630 times
Based off of what I have experienced and know, GPA matters as far as getting your foot in the door, landing that coveted internship, or just separating yourself from the pack. Nowadays, I feel as if a 3.0 is the new 2.0 and, unless you have a 3.6+ you are going to have a very difficult time getting an internship and or job.

Case in point, I had a 3.466/4.0 and applied for an internship with JP Morgan Chase. For one 12-week internship, we had 40 applicants with an average GPA of around 3.65 from what I saw (looking at other students resumes), probably the reason I wasn't selected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities