Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,309,855 times

Advertisements

Marry a professor at a school that gives free tuition to immediate family members. It worked for my wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 12:21 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,283,088 times
I want to respond to the OP as I have been there and can give some advice, but I am pressed for time, so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If you happen to get laid off, unemployment will pay for your tuition and/or the benefits will get you through school.

I know a few people who have gone to school after getting laid off. Depends on the state and whether they'll let you do it.
I've been here, too. Perhaps it depends on the State, but unemployment did not pay my tuition. In my situation, I just automatically got unemployment benefits for X amount of time. I didn't have to fill out the "job search" sheet, make my claim, nothing. I just had to show that I was enrolled into a "career training" program and my meager unemployment checks came in every week without me having to claim.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:24 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,128,791 times
The government is pretty generous with stafford loan eligibility. Frankly if you make too much money to qualify for a stafford, I don't understand how you can't afford to pay out of pocket. I am married, and have been able to pay out of pocket for 50% of my graduate degree, and I qualify for staffords (which I am using for the last half of the program). You may want to look more closely at stafford qualifications, and as suggested above, fill out a FAFSA and see what it comes up with. Visit with the financial counselor at your community college and see what advice they have to offer. You might also post your current budget in the Financial forum and see if posters can suggest ways to save up.

I would encourage you to at least move forward and finish your associates, even if you have to do it a class out of time to afford it. Just keeping chipping away at your schooling and eventually you will get there!

Old 05-26-2012, 02:17 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,669,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
The government is pretty generous with stafford loan eligibility. Frankly if you make too much money to qualify for a stafford, I don't understand how you can't afford to pay out of pocket. I am married, and have been able to pay out of pocket for 50% of my graduate degree, and I qualify for staffords (which I am using for the last half of the program). You may want to look more closely at stafford qualifications, and as suggested above, fill out a FAFSA and see what it comes up with. Visit with the financial counselor at your community college and see what advice they have to offer. You might also post your current budget in the Financial forum and see if posters can suggest ways to save up.

I would encourage you to at least move forward and finish your associates, even if you have to do it a class out of time to afford it. Just keeping chipping away at your schooling and eventually you will get there!
I qualified for stafford loans, but its the limits.

I think subsidized and unsubsidized loans I was getting about $4500-5k a semester. There are also caps per year. These caps go up the longer you are in school

My school was about $7-7500 a semester. Granted I went to a private school.

I know people say schools only charge $5k a semester for tuition, there are still books, fees, and if you were like me and want to get out of school and back to work... you take added course loads, and go year round.

I paid out of pocket for a few classes at a CC, and a used money for tuition only at a private school as well. I paid all books, fees, testing, and living expenses out of pocket.

Private loans was a last resort. I also paid interest only while in school as well, I also put my tuition on a interest free credit card before I took out the private loans.

I am not saying it can't be done, but its not as simple as some say.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:22 PM

In the end if there is a will there is a way. I WANTED to do what my schooling was for, I enjoy my job, leave alot of days extremely happy with what I accomplished. My pay is alot better, and there is a good future.

I still need to finish my bachelors. But at least now I work for a company that will pay my tuition now.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:13 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,047,953 times
Definitely fill out the FAFSA and find out exactly what you qualify for, as far as grants and loans. Your credit won't really matter for the government loans, unless you're currently in default on gov't loans (like a VA loan, or previous student loans). Also, even if your household income is high, you can still get some unsubsidized loans (interest will accrue while you're in college, although it can be deferred).

You should also contact the financial aid office of the school you'd like to attend, perhaps specifically the social work department, and ask them for suggestions on any scholarships for which you might be eligible.

A friend of mine is a single parent of two children, working full time, and going to school full time, for social work. She does have some loans, but not an outrageous amount, as she's been very successful in finding various grants and scholarships.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2012, 04:47 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,052,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
2). Stafford Loans and Pell Grants do not have to be paid back until after you graduate; and then at a highly reduced rate.
3). Almost every college offers a host of scholarships, many of which go unclaimed. Check with the financial aid office of a few colleges - you may be surprised what you qualify for.. (at 33, not much importance will be attached to your 'extracurricular activities' -- that's more for graduating high-school students with no real 'life-experience.'
Pell Grants, and state grants, do NOT have to be paid back at all. It is money that is given.

I went to college in my 30's (graduated with BS in 2009) and I was single female and had no money. I filled out FASFA every January (if you haven't done your taxes, estimate them, get your FASFA in asap to get a foot in the door for money.) And I applied for every scholarship I could find (kept a high GPA). I got some scholarships that I think no one else applied for.

Get to know the people in Financial Aid. They can help you get money for school. I would make an appt with the FA director to ask him for advice. (Small state college). That person still knows my name and talks to me when he sees me around town.

I got enough Grants and scholarships every year to pay all of my tuition (~$2000-2500/semester), fees, book, some living expenses. I worked p/t on campus or at intern jobs. I didn't take out any loans and lived frugally.

Devote some time each school year to applying for (free!) money to go to school. It can pay off big. I got $30k-40k in grants and scholarships during the time I was in school. I graduated very poor but debt free.

I know a few other students who did as well at this as I did - or better. Most students don't bother to work to get the (free) money that is available.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:46 AM

If you are married they count your total income. You can't live frugally both not work, and get grants to support 2 adults and kids. Maybe one person.

So the spouse works, they count that income and it starts to disqualify you from free money.

My wife made about $55k a year, had $600 a month in student loan payments. So more lil $48k. A year.

Decent enough money, but too much money qualify me for the pell grant. You don't get the pell grant, you seem to pretty much get disqualified from anything.

School was about $20k a year, year round maybe $5k in expenses that were school related. All of a sudden we would be living off $23k a year. Add $1100 a month rent. Leaves $10k a year for all bills, food etc....

So you take out loans.

I guess I good have stretched school out so it wasnt as expensive and skip summers and work part time. But I wanted in and out of school and working a real job ASAP

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,603,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where do you live? U of PA gives a complete loan-free financial aid package to PA citizens who demonstrate financial need. Have you done any research into the universities in your state, and their financial aid (scholarship) availability and criteria? Stanford University in CA gives full scholarships to students with financial need. There are pleasant surprises everywhere, you just have to look. Do your homework first, then get back to us.
The STATE of Pennsylvania offers grants - PHEAA - Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency Not the University of Pennsylvania, which is a very expensive private University.

You might also look at the AAUW in your area to see if they have any scholarships. In my area they offer a scholarship every year for women that decide to return to college. AAUW Branch and State Local Scholarship Clearinghouse Program | AAUW

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:35 PM

915 posts, read 2,133,221 times
You can borrow the money from CitiBank; they don't check credit. Check with your financial aid officer and they're give you the forms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities