Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:34 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,509,023 times

Advertisements

I really, really want to go back to school to finish my bachelors degree in social work. I started it a few years ago at a community college and I have a few credits left that I can do there. I'm planning on going back part time to finish that although I would really prefer to do it full time in one semester. I have to work for an income though and I can't afford the full tuition and books for a full time semester.
The problem really comes in when I have to transfer to a university though. How the heck do I pay for that and also have money to live on? I have a couple of problems. Due to being unemployed for a while my credit is crappy and I won't qualify for a private loan. I don't qualify for any significant aid or government loans because my husband makes too much money. He doesn't make enough for us to be able to pay for it out of pocket though and I really couldn't ask him to do that anyway. I also don't have a co-signer for a loan. So what remains?
I really don't know if I could get a scholarship. My grades are okay, 3.65 GPA out of 4.0, but based on what I've read it seems like much more than that is required. They generally want you to be able to show that you have been involved in a bunch of extracurricular activities and have other skills. I'm 33. I'm not involved in any extracurricular activities. I volunteer with animal rescue but that's about all I have to show for in regards to something like that.
So does anyone have any ideas how I can do this? Is there anything I haven't thought of or have I misunderstood something? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,169,634 times
could you save for a few years? since you won't have to worry about room and board you'd be saving money there. i dont know what its like in your area, but here the middle-of-the-road state schools run around $5,000 a semester for just tuition for residents- so thats $10,000 a year for two years which puts you at $20,000. maybe $25,000 if we're budgeting for increases and books. i also don't know anything about your financial situation but i'd look at ways to cut back to save that money.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:45 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I really, really want to go back to school to finish my bachelors degree in social work. I started it a few years ago at a community college and I have a few credits left that I can do there. I'm planning on going back part time to finish that although I would really prefer to do it full time in one semester. I have to work for an income though and I can't afford the full tuition and books for a full time semester.
The problem really comes in when I have to transfer to a university though. How the heck do I pay for that and also have money to live on? I have a couple of problems. Due to being unemployed for a while my credit is crappy and I won't qualify for a private loan. I don't qualify for any significant aid or government loans because my husband makes too much money. He doesn't make enough for us to be able to pay for it out of pocket though and I really couldn't ask him to do that anyway. I also don't have a co-signer for a loan. So what remains?
I really don't know if I could get a scholarship. My grades are okay, 3.65 GPA out of 4.0, but based on what I've read it seems like much more than that is required. They generally want you to be able to show that you have been involved in a bunch of extracurricular activities and have other skills. I'm 33. I'm not involved in any extracurricular activities. I volunteer with animal rescue but that's about all I have to show for in regards to something like that.
So does anyone have any ideas how I can do this? Is there anything I haven't thought of or have I misunderstood something? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Where do you live? U of PA gives a complete loan-free financial aid package to PA citizens who demonstrate financial need. Have you done any research into the universities in your state, and their financial aid (scholarship) availability and criteria? Stanford University in CA gives full scholarships to students with financial need. There are pleasant surprises everywhere, you just have to look. Do your homework first, then get back to us.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:22 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,657,585 times
The problem is financial need is kind of skewed. You will never be in as much need as a kid from a single parent home, which the parent has a highchool education.

Then if you are married and you support yourselves without any sort of government aid. You are pretty much considered not in need. Even worse if your spouse has student loans, they seems aid tends to focus on the income and not what your guys net income is.

I ran into similar issues around 27-28. Wife graduated so now it was my turn to go back to school. Wife made money but student loans takes a decent chunk. They look at my situation, we support ourselves, so we aren't in need even though we are on a tight budget.

Then toss in you are not a traditional out of HS student which when you read a lot of fine print on scholarships, they say like 16-25 or something similar.

Then it gets better, I wanted through school fast. I was dual enrolled 18 credit semesters, went year round also. I was in the like 3.75 area with grades at both schools. There are limits on how much you can take out per semester for Federal Loans. I had to go private and enjoying a 10% interest rate right now.

Also add my wife was pregnant at the end so I had to pick up a fulltime flexible hour job as well.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-25-2012, 03:04 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,115,057 times
Quote:
If you happen to get laid off, unemployment will pay for your tuition and/or the benefits will get you through school.

I know a few people who have gone to school after getting laid off. Depends on the state and whether they'll let you do it.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:50 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,536,012 times
Quote:
First of all, it's great that you are thinking about returning to complete your degree! I finished my last year after I was married as an adult. It's not impossible!

Second of all, your GPA is GREAT! Not "OK"but - Great!

First I would complete the few credits you have to earn your Associate degree. If I misread and you have an Associate degree, then before taking more lower division credits, I would look into what is needed at the school you want to transfer to. Too many lower division credits could be a waste of time and money.

Second, many upper division (four year colleges and universities) look very favorably on students with Associate degrees.
Since they do, they often award money to them! Grant money that you need not repay.

In my home state of NY, graduates of Community Colleges with a 3.00 AUTOMATICALLY get money and acceptance at NY State schools.
look into YOUR state schools. It might surprise you.

Also, look at private schools! You are still an undergrad, regardless of your age. There is more money available for undergrads. Especially with high averages such as yours.

A loan is not out of the question. Credit does not count when it comes to Federal Loans. I really don't think that your husband salary will interfere with getting a student loan.

What schools are in your area? Go to the financial aid departments in person and SHOP, as you would for anything else.

If you WANT this, go for it!

Let us know how you do and what you find out!

Best!,
Sheena

Old 05-25-2012, 06:18 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,037,511 times
Quote:
Check out Fastweb : Scholarships, Financial Aid, Student Loans and Colleges ... The scholarship listings are tailored to your profile on that site and not all scholarships require extracurricular activities ... Basically, scholarships are monies donated by private individuals and they set the criteria as to who qualifies. You may have to write an essay or complete a project but with your grades, I would imagine that you would qualify for something. Also, check with the community college and university's financial aid websites for further scholarship resources. I wish you the best and I pray that it all works out for you

Also, I would go ahead and fill out the FAFSA (free application for federal student aid) using the links on your college's website. DON'T do a Google search as you may inadvertently run across some less than legit sites. Let financial aid rule out whether you and your spouse makes too much money because you may be pleasantly surprised if you wind up qualifying for some aid.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:31 PM

2,719 posts, read 5,363,143 times
Quote:
So toss the idea of doing it in one semester if it's not possible to do. What you would rather do doesn't matter if you do not have the means to do it.

Quote:
I don't understand why you are uncomfortable asking your spouse to contribute to your education. After all, once you graduate, your added income will benefit the household/family. It's not like you are asking for a mink coat; you're looking to complete your education.

Quote:
I don't think the lack of extracurriculars is an issue once you're over 21 years old. If you are married and living in a home and making it every month, that's not in need in the eyes of many and the best thing to do is take one class at a time and pay as you go. Remember: the time is going to pass by anyway so make the best use of it that you can. Don't think too far ahead and freak yourself out about how to pay. Take steps. Get your Associates degree and once you have that in hand, investigate what is available to you.

Good luck!

Last edited by cleasach; 05-25-2012 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 05-25-2012, 06:33 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,851,637 times
A couple of other 'different' possibilities might include:
1). Get a job with a company that subsidizes your college education. ...a very common practice - you might have to switch your major to something besides social work, but, it will move your dream along.
2). Stafford Loans and Pell Grants do not have to be paid back until after you graduate; and then at a highly reduced rate.
3). Almost every college offers a host of scholarships, many of which go unclaimed. Check with the financial aid office of a few colleges - you may be surprised what you qualify for.. (at 33, not much importance will be attached to your 'extracurricular activities' -- that's more for graduating high-school students with no real 'life-experience.'
4). See what type of "life experience" credit you can get toward your degree ... to cut-down the length of time you must go.
5). How about online classes or night school? -- more and more colleges are offering online classes and credits at a fraction of the classroom cost (even some of the top Ivy League schools!)

Old 05-25-2012, 08:41 PM

809 posts, read 1,332,441 times
1. Apply to several colleges within commuting distance.(hopefully the application fees will be free)
2. Fill out the FAFSA(unless you have actually filed the FAFSA, you never know what you will qualify for
3. The colleges you applied to and were accepted to will provide you with an awards letter. AT that time you can decide if you can afford the school or not. It may include grants and scholarships from the institution.
ALso, fill out the fastweb profile as someone suggested and see if you can get any of those scholarships
I am not saying this will be easy to finish your degree, but anything worthwhile takes effort..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities