Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,062,091 times

Advertisements

I think it probably happens more with young people than with slightly older people. Kids, just out of high school, going off to college... it's pretty typical for that demographic to become full of themselves. It's that age. And they feel very proud - and should feel proud - for doing well in high school and moving on to college. But for some, it seems to create an ugly sort of elitist better-than-thou know-it-all attitude. Big-head'ism. It's unfortunate when that happens.

As you get older you realize that you don't necessarily need college in order to become an educated person. Some of the most intelligent and wise people I have ever known never went to college, and a few dropped out of high school. And conversely, I've known quite a few college graduates who were dumb as dirt and sorely lacking in common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,658,859 times
Alot of them do.

In the place I work, I am around alot of engineers, managers, etc... A large part of them will think they are smarter then you a lowly technician that gets his hands dirty.

What is funny is some of them are so clueless about their own job, when we have an issue, we have to go explain, realize they are clueless, basically explain step by step, what the issues is, what the fix will be, and who they need to distribute the info for. Basically their entire job. Just get them and all their wisdom to stamp it off as good.

Same time there are some dumb**** mechanics in the world as well.

You don't need school to be an intelligent person.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,547,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Not sure if this belongs here, but this pertains to the social-life benefits of having a college-education.

By this, I mean those of us that are just high-school graduates and work in capacities that either didn't require a degree, or just got by with some trade-tech from a community college.
In the blue-collar fields, it's always possible to make just as much of a living as someone working some sort of job requiring an advanced degree of some sort.
However, when for whatever reason a blue-collar worker attempts to step beyond their social circle for a little more enlightenment, people in the other circle get alarmed.

Only reason I'm bringing something like this up is due to the various threads regarding STEM-related degrees and my current dissatisfaction with the employment field I've been involved with for the past, couple of years.
After getting done with the work day, it's nice to have a conversation about something other than NASCAR, or some recent mod some yokel put on their exhaust system.
However, I feel if I wander over to the other side without the "right equipment", I'll be asked to leave the table.

Honestly, as far as I am concerned, and the people who I call my friends, no. There would be no problem. You express yourself well, and seem to have a sense of humor and irony.

There might be some people who think that way, but many do not.

What I do find though, is a bit of reverse snobism. For people who have attended college, it is important that our children do. For most of us, anything else is not what we want for our kids.

We are really not open to hearing that our children will do well without college. Also, tales of "over educated idiots" people with degrees who earn little money, and "the college of hard knocks" make most of us cringe.

Think of it this way - it's as though four years of hard work are being made fun of. No one likes being made fun of. College educated or not.

You'd be very welcome at my table.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:11 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,113,131 times
Nice replies from everyone and not a single put-down to be found.

I attempted the college-route for the first, couple of years after high school and fell flat on my face.
Looking back, I could safely say that it was a combination of both the workload/difficulty of the classes and the fact that I was never ready for challenges being fired from different fronts.

The only reason why obtaining a degree is still in the back of my mind comes from different factors.
My mom earned an AS degree and was on the way to obtaining a BS from CSUSB while raising five kids.
My stepdad earned a BS back in the 70s and even though he never preached it, there was this thing about him that wanted to see to it that at least a couple of us were educated up to his level.

As it stands right now, three of us are working, two are sitting at home not attempting anything.
With the exception of a few college courses, none of us have really earned anything substantial enough to measure up to what our parents have gotten.
Despite knowing my limitations and countless attempts to conquer certain subjects, I just feel aiming for tech/vocational certificates won't be enough to get that "feeling of not making the parents satisfied" shaken off.

Since it appears my other siblings are too busy with full-time work schedules or are too lazy to get anything else done, I'm having this feeling that I'm going to have to "take one for the team" so to speak.

As for the younger kids curious as to why I'm still stuck in a pre-transfer level academic class, I'll just say to them, "either help me out, or go back to thumbing through your iScroll."

Old 06-02-2012, 12:55 PM

810 posts, read 1,809,840 times
I think the other important to remember is that not all people are meant for a one-sized-fits-all approach to education or vocational training. Some people aren't meant for a classroom education, and others would adapt much better to white-collar work than a blue-collar position.

Same thing with fields of study. Yes, there are fields out there that yield higher returns, but some just aren't meant for those fields.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:34 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,591,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Not sure if this belongs here, but this pertains to the social-life benefits of having a college-education.

By this, I mean those of us that are just high-school graduates and work in capacities that either didn't require a degree, or just got by with some trade-tech from a community college.
In the blue-collar fields, it's always possible to make just as much of a living as someone working some sort of job requiring an advanced degree of some sort.
However, when for whatever reason a blue-collar worker attempts to step beyond their social circle for a little more enlightenment, people in the other circle get alarmed.

Only reason I'm bringing something like this up is due to the various threads regarding STEM-related degrees and my current dissatisfaction with the employment field I've been involved with for the past, couple of years.
After getting done with the work day, it's nice to have a conversation about something other than NASCAR, or some recent mod some yokel put on their exhaust system.
However, I feel if I wander over to the other side without the "right equipment", I'll be asked to leave the table.
I have a PhD, and so do lots of my friends. 90% of our conversations are about our kids (intellectual subjects like bed-wetting and poopy diapers), and the rest are about other stimulating topics such as reality tv and home improvement. In fact, we'd be much better equipped for a lot of our conversations if only we knew more about construction and lawn care. And mods? That would go over quite well around here. We NEVER talk about anything like politics or religion or academic subjects - the first two cause offense too easily, and as for academic stuff, no one likes to sound like a know-it-all. The most educated people are actually self-conscious about this and prefer NOT to talk socially about the things they know the most about.

Point is, the only people who actually sit around discussing intellectual stuff are show-offs and people who think they have something to prove. So I'm not sure where you feel you'd be asked to leave, but those would certainly not be typical of highly educated people.

So it's not the topic of conversation - whenever I feel uncomfortable with a less educated person, it's about the values they express. For example, I remember one woman telling me proudly how she spanks her child. From my perspective as a person who has read many books on child-rearing and peruses child psychology articles for fun, that's really unacceptable. I wasn't alarmed because she couldn't name the latest theories in child psychology, but because she was expressing an idea that is simply unacceptable in most educated social circles today (or at least mine). Likewise the guy who regaled me with "hilarious" stories of electrocuting annoying nesting birds while working for the power company. I mean, I'm a vegetarian. Those things are alarming - not a lack of intellectual fodder for conversation.

On the other hand, I have some friends with very little education, but who share our basic values, and so the difference doesn't matter at all.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:02 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,655,189 times
In my everyday life, I don't necessarily come across as being 'educated' at first glance. I wear jeans, converse and am fairly heavily tattooed and work as a mechanic so many people I come in contact with assume that I'm uneducated. I usually keep my degrees (Music theory/composition, International Business and Aerospace Engineering along with certificates in Supply Chain Management and Airport Safety/Homeland Security, my Airframe and Powerplant licenses and my pilot license, of course ) under wraps because I like to see how people treat me without knowing my educational backround.

So far, it's been a mixed-bag. I've had people who were obviously looking down on me, people who thought I was some sort of criminal (I neglected to let them know that I have plenty of security clearances including a SIDA badge clearance which includes a 10 year FBI history check) and people who were very openly dismissive of me as an intellectual equal.

I know plenty of people, college educated or not, that are ridiculously intelligent and can easily hold a great debate or conversation on some pretty high brow topics just because they like a subject and learn about it on their own. You just can't judge a book by it's cover

Old 06-02-2012, 05:49 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,389,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I have a PhD, and so do lots of my friends. 90% of our conversations are about our kids (intellectual subjects like bed-wetting and poopy diapers), and the rest are about other stimulating topics such as reality tv and home improvement. In fact, we'd be much better equipped for a lot of our conversations if only we knew more about construction and lawn care. And mods? That would go over quite well around here. We NEVER talk about anything like politics or religion or academic subjects - the first two cause offense too easily, and as for academic stuff, no one likes to sound like a know-it-all. The most educated people are actually self-conscious about this and prefer NOT to talk socially about the things they know the most about.
LOL.That's been my experience as well when I have a chance to chit chat with my coworkers. At out last work function the main topic of conversation was the merits of store band diapers and wipes.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:22 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,694,158 times
I use to . Only because I was taught that college was everything. Until I went to college as graduated and realized that college doesn't really matter, all it matters is luck and knowing people in high places . And that me and non college educated people are at the same mark except I wasted 50k and 4 years of my life to do it

Old 06-03-2012, 03:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,938,938 times
Everyone has innate intelligence. Some are more privileged than others. I think what you do with what you were given is the testament to your character and perseverance.

I respect people who have good manners and are basically kind and self-supporting. If they went to elementary school, middle school, and high school, they "should" have command of basic grammar (I personally am not a fan of people who didn't pay attention to the basics in school) . . .beyond that, it is all privilege . . . I am a life-long-learner and value that, but I know higher education is not for everyone . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities